Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Taking a look at the code names for the 3 rumored adapters:  M.ADAP R, M.ADAP R ND, M.ADAP R PL  it actually seems quite simple what they will be.

M.ADAP R:  A standard RF to EF-mount smart adapter.

M.ADAP R ND: An RF to EF smart adapter with built in ND filers (or a slot for filters)

M.ADAP R PL:  RF to PL mount adapter.

2 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Wild guess: the mount could be a more extreme version of EF-S: same backward-compatible mount, but a special pin to prevent forward-compatibility. And then lenses with the RF mount are allowed to have a much deeper rear element, but it won't butt up against the mirror on a dSLR because it can't be mounted on one despite the superficially similar mount and forward-compatibility of the RF, due to the pin...

With the new lenses, the rear elements can go much deeper, so the rear element needs to be protected, so there's a deeper plastic ring extending around the rear element, and the lens caps are much deeper, too, to accommodate it. But otherwise it's the same basic shape of the EF mount. Telephoto lenses etc. will never be RF, because they don't need to be. Rear lens caps will not be interchangeable, but RF lens caps will mount on EF lenses, they'll just also extend too far.

That's a really cool idea! I wonder how hard it would be to sell to the general public, though? I think people would balk at the idea of carefully inserting a ~20mm long lens rear element into their camera every time you change lenses. But it would certainly be innovative and make Canon's mirrorless much more appealing for the vast swaths of people who own EF or EF-S glass. EF mount is so common I adapted all of my Nikon lenses to Canon just to put them on a NX-EF adapter! Makes it so much easier to quickly use them on borrowed or rented cameras.

On a more general note, while I'm excited to see what Canon has in store, I bet it will be another disappointment for me as my main hope is for H.265. The NX1's codec quality is all I need, and I don't want to double or triple my hard drive consumption for marginal returns on that front. Once the GH5 implemented it, I hoped the floodgates would open to H.265 in mainstream cameras, but we may have to wait a little while longer. Canon would have to pull off something truly spectacular for me to buy into it without H.265.

24 minutes ago, MattH said:

Taking a look at the code names for the 3 rumored adapters:  M.ADAP R, M.ADAP R ND, M.ADAP R PL  it actually seems quite simple what they will be.

M.ADAP R:  A standard RF to EF-mount smart adapter.

M.ADAP R ND: An RF to EF smart adapter with built in ND filers (or a slot for filters)

M.ADAP R PL:  RF to PL mount adapter.

Nd adaptor is a gamechanger any way you look at it. I know heaps of people have been asking for it, and if they have delivered i see a lot of people switching from sony, even if the a7siii gets 10 bit 60p. You get 4k dual pixel full frame with ibis and canon color (clog doesnt need 10bit) and NDs  

23 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

That's a really cool idea! I wonder how hard it would be to sell to the general public, though? I think people would balk at the idea of carefully inserting a ~20mm long lens rear element into their camera every time you change lenses. But it would certainly be innovative and make Canon's mirrorless much more appealing for the vast swaths of people who own EF or EF-S glass. EF mount is so common I adapted all of my Nikon lenses to Canon just to put them on a NX-EF adapter! Makes it so much easier to quickly use them on borrowed or rented cameras.

On a more general note, while I'm excited to see what Canon has in store, I bet it will be another disappointment for me as my main hope is for H.265. The NX1's codec quality is all I need, and I don't want to double or triple my hard drive consumption for marginal returns on that front. Once the GH5 implemented it, I hoped the floodgates would open to H.265 in mainstream cameras, but we may have to wait a little while longer. Canon would have to pull off something truly spectacular for me to buy into it without H.265.

I agree it's unlikely. It looks like it's definitely not happening, actually:

https://www.canonrumors.com/news-flash-good-news-for-some-bad-news-for-others/

Looks like a whole new lens mount after all.

Ah well, it was a cool idea anyway. Though, this caught my eye:

M adapter R was confirmed with “Mount Adapter EF – EOS R”. Three types of mount adapters are available with control ring and drop-in filter.

It would be ridiculously cool if they added an electronic declicked aperture ring for EF lenses, though I suspect they simply mean a control ring for some sort of variable ND filter.

The only dumb thing about having ND filters in the adapter is that you won't actually be able to use them with the new lenses.  So whatever advantages the new lenses have you also have to throw away the advantage of having an ND slot.  Unless the new lenses themselves have such a slot, even if its just on the front.

9 hours ago, 2xtremecreative said:

If that's a mockup, I like it.

It’s a Sony A9 with a Canon logo. 

4 hours ago, gnomesteel said:

Hasn't Canon said they won't put 4k in mirrorless because of the C line?

Nope, quite the opposite. Canon have said recently that they are going to take video more seriously in their stills cameras. I think it makes sense, they took some time to build and establish the C-line, but now that it is used by working pros, they can use those features in their hybrids. They aren’t going to lose C-line business doing this, but will lose business to Sony. They don’t like that. 

They’ve started already putting 4K and C-Log hybrid and consumer products. 

4 minutes ago, aldolega said:

Sounds like the ND adapter will basically be an OEM version of the FotoDiox ND Throttle. Which I've actually been pretty pleased with so far actually. If the Canon version is electronic, and/or can move out of the way, that would be pretty awesome.

I was going to say the same thing. The ND throttle fusion is awesome, glad to see it coming here. Being able to do clear option would be extra amazing, but unlikely. 

I don’t see an XLR audio adapter accessory (yet). 

6FFCFE94-38BA-405A-847A-565600685387.jpeg

Canon EOS R Specifications

30.3 Million Pixels Full Size CMOS

Dual pixel CMOS AF

The ranging range is 100 × width 88% of the live view video display range

EV-6 low brightness autofocus

4K video

Touch panel liquid crystal

Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed

Dustproof drip-proof · magnesium body

Battery: LP-E6N

Battery grip: BG-E 22

Size: Width of about 136 mm × height of about 98 mm

Weight: Approximately 580 g

Mount: inner diameter 54 mm, flange back 20 mm, 12 pin

Mount adapter: “Mount adapter EF – EOS R” “Control ring mount adapter EF – EOS R” “Drop – in filter mount adapter EF – EOS R

Canonrumors.com

DE847287-F06F-4045-990B-E59C9C68CE95.jpeg

07A64689-8942-44B7-BFD2-C546F35C5B07.jpeg

GAME OVER

59 minutes ago, aldolega said:

Sounds like the ND adapter will basically be an OEM version of the FotoDiox ND Throttle. Which I've actually been pretty pleased with so far actually. If the Canon version is electronic, and/or can move out of the way, that would be pretty awesome.

Yeah I have a EF to E FotoDiox ND Throttle I use on my A7s. It work amazingly well for what you can get them for now. But it is mentioning Drop in Filters. That would not be some twist a dial thing like the FotoDiox ND Throttle.

Dang. Could be a winner. Wonder about sensor stabilization, 4K crop + further specs (60p/10-bit/...) and audio-interface though.

What is that image supposed to say? There's an electronic focus rocker on the back? Sounds interesting. Is that 2 focus rings then though? Olympus does the de-clutch thingie... they do both hard stop and fly-by-wire? Or is that just a grippy bit to hold the lens steady while you screw a filter on?

45 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

What is that image supposed to say? There's an electronic focus rocker on the back? Sounds interesting. Is that 2 focus rings then though? Olympus does the de-clutch thingie... they do both hard stop and fly-by-wire? Or is that just a grippy bit to hold the lens steady while you screw a filter on?

It looks like it may be a function dial like the Nikon Z lenses have on the back that you can program for different functions.

Unless I missed it I don't see a Joystick anywhere on it? That seems like a odd thing to not include unless that rocker switch is suppose to function like one among other usues??

51 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Dang. Could be a winner. Wonder about sensor stabilization, 4K crop + further specs (60p/10-bit/...) and audio-interface though.

I suspect it is a programmable control ring, like what is in G7X and RX100. A bit like the aperture ring on the Fuji’s, except can have different functions. It’s also available on the EF adapter too. 

10 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

It looks like it may be a function dial like the Nikon Z lenses have on the back that you can program for different functions.

Unless I missed it I don't see a Joystick anywhere on it? That seems like a odd thing to not include unless that rocker switch is suppose to function like one among other usues??

I guess they have forgone the joystick in favour of touch screen? It still has the D-pad. It’s more 6D than 5D by the looks overall (which I’m perfectly fine with). 

Will be buying with 28-70, 50/1.2 and 35/1.8 Macro. 

Hey, remember when everyone said Canon was too late to the game and they couldn't bring a mirrorless that could compete? 

28-70/2, 50/1.2, 35/1.8 and a EF adapter with a drop in filter slot? All that's missing for me is a UWA zoom and a 70-200. And they're even brining a 400/2.8 and 600/4 for the wildlife/sports shooters.

Damn.

Chris

8 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Hey, remember when everyone said Canon was too late to the game and they couldn't bring a mirrorless that could compete? 

28-70/2, 50/1.2, 35/1.8 and a EF adapter with a drop in filter slot? All that's missing for me is a UWA zoom and a 70-200. And they're even brining a 400/2.8 and 600/4 for the wildlife/sports shooters.

Damn.

Chris

Considering how well DPAF works with EF lenses, they already have the 70-200’s well and truly covered. Yes a wide will be nice just for the smaller size. 

I guess they’ve gone with a new mount to keep it locked down like Nikon have. EF-M AFAIK is basically electronically compatible with EF. 

I dumped Sony a while ago. Gave them a brief shot with the A7 III. Nikon have zero interest in, just doesn’t look interesting at all. 

Canon have nailed it. I’ve wished they’d make a decent enthusiast camera in about the size of a 200D and here it is. 

4K might be cropped and a few other things, yet I don’t care one bit. 

6 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

I guess the popular dispute about whether Canon "couldn't" or "wouldn't" make something competitive might be finally put to rest.

26 minutes ago, MdB said:

I suspect it is a programmable control ring, like what is in G7X and RX100. A bit like the aperture ring on the Fuji’s, except can have different functions. It’s also available on the EF adapter too.

Yeah, I'm really curious about that part myself. It's striking that the 35mm prime lens has two control rings, almost like an EF zoom lens...  hmm would it be too wild for them to have a digital zoom mapped to that control ring? With 30 Megapixels you could turn a prime into a decent zoom especially for video. I'm probably just dreaming haha.

36 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

First it's not about what they can do but what they want to release. I'm curious about the sensor (recycled based on the 5D4 or new sensor with the latest tech?).

Then, let's wait for the full specifications. History showed that Canon masters the art of crippling its camera with crop, disabled AF, pixel binning, weird codecs and so on.

That being said, if they deliver something decent it will probably sell like hot cakes (me included). Finger crossed.