Buy used lens for cheaper?

francescosabphoto

Hello everyone ,

I recently saw on a website someone selling his 18-55 kit lens for 25$ - very interesting even if this lens costs only 100$, because I'm not really going to use it a lot.

The seller said that this lens didn't work under 24mm , and that the error "error of communication between lens and dslr - please check lens contact" appeared if he tried to set a focal lenght under 24mm. Although I don't think it will be a problem for me, do you think this kind of error is repairable easily ? 

Thanks for your help :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Unless it was all you can find/afford, I would pass on it as 18-24 is a fair size chunk of focal range to go without and limits you to around 39mm FF equivalent and up if using Canon or 36mm FF equivalent for Sony/Nikon/Pentax (assuming APSC use).

The lenses can be found very cheap if patient.

If it is Canon and you just want a lens, maybe look at pawn shops and on line for old EOS film cameras as they often have a fully  working EF lens attached for very little money (though probably not stabilized and probably starting at 28mm but will give longer range and less likely to stop working all together).

Ask friends and family if they know anyone who has an old camera of the same make as yours sitting around unused that might have a lens or two you can use.

It would cost a LOT more than the lens is worth to fix it unless it is  something like simply dirty contacts on the camera.

• 1 month later...