Canon FF mirrorless is coming

wolf33d

https://www.canonrumors.com/we-were-wrong-all-of-your-canon-mirrorless-dreams-are-likely-coming-true-soon/

Well 28mpx FF sensor and 4K for 1900$. 

Sounds like Nikon Z6 with better AF is here. Prepare your laugh though... let’s see the codec, bitrate and crop. If good codec + no crop it will be an interesting alternative. 

4K30p is so boring though and no FHD 120p Still waiting for a 4K60p FF that is not 6000$ and 1.5kg....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
30 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Nikon gives you 10bit output, I bet Canon won’t!

I would surely think Nikon and Canon both have Moles in each other's company to sort of know what each other is doing. I can't imagine Canon would let Nikon have a better Video product. That would be embarrassing as hell.

If 4K has DPAF and no crop, this thing will destroy Sony/Nikon sales, no doubt. And because it is Canon, 3rd party lens producers will all speed up development of lenses for it.

We all know Canon can do it (though the mount is still a mystery), but hasn't done it so far, because they are very careful at cannibalizing their existing models.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I would surely think Nikon and Canon both have Moles in each other's company to sort of know what each other is doing. I can't imagine Canon would let Nikon have a better Video product. That would be embarrassing as hell.

They don't mind, they are by far number one camera maker, they will just put a product that is just good enough to protect their cine line.

Yeah, I don't think Canon is all that concerned with being beat on the video front in their DSLR or Mirrorless cameras. They willingly let Sony and Panasonic take over there. 

That could always change and they certainly have the ability to catch up to everyone else, but until they announce something you can't really assume they're concerned about being overshadowed in the DSLR or Mirrorless video race because they really haven't shown much concern to date and seem to be dragged along kicking and screaming. Maybe Nikon will be what gets them to take it seriously? Who knows. I'd have thought Sony over the last 5 years would've been enough to get them to go on the offensive but it didn't seem to. 

7 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Prepare your laugh though... let’s see the codec, bitrate and crop

Crop may remain a problem for Canon. Sony have fixed this issue for everyone else (Panasonic, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Fuji) but Canon go it alone with their sensors. Bitrate and codec are for the most part fixed with Digic 8 as shown on the M50 with the 150Mbps 4K (which is quite nice). It would be nice to finally have a product with both the compressed MPEG4 AND the MJPEG. 

7 hours ago, wolf33d said:

4K30p is so boring though and no FHD 120p Still waiting for a 4K60p FF that is not 6000$ and 1.5kg....

Disappointing. Still nothing in the Canon camp for that. Plus that 1.5kg is really only APS-H for 4K60. 

Sony A7S III maybe? 

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

If it really has those specs they Need to go out of business.

Doesn't seem a world away from the Z6. 

6 hours ago, ntblowz said:

sounds awfully similar to the spec of M5 II rumor

That's what I thought the other day, but not at $1900. I also don't think we'll see IBIS on the M5 II. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Nikon gives you 10bit output, I bet Canon won’t!

Yep, seriously doubt it. Bet you I still prefer the Canon images though. 

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I can't imagine Canon would let Nikon have a better Video product. That would be embarrassing as hell.

I don't think Canon could care less what Nikon is doing. 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

Yeah, I don't think Canon is all that concerned with being beat on the video front in their DSLR or Mirrorless cameras. They willingly let Sony and Panasonic take over there.

True. They have publicly stated though that video is much more important to them now. 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

I'd have thought Sony over the last 5 years would've been enough to get them to go on the offensive but it didn't seem to. 

Uhm, well if this product launches in two weeks I would say Sony are exactly why they are doing it. You can't seriously believe the Z6/Z7 announced days ago had anything at all to do with it? Nikon AND Canon are developing these products because they are threatened by Sony (although all the fanboy sites will try and tell you that Sony was never a threat at all, so I wonder why they are cloning their 'losing' product strategy). 

48 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

If it has C-log and a decent codec, i'm in.

C-log is not a given. Decent codec will be 100%. C-log is something they have reserved heavily in their DSLR market, with only the 1DC and 5D IV (begrudgingly, later) getting the C-log treatment. 

48 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Good 1080/60p is all I need. IBIS and DPAF, colour and DR are way more important than 4K (to me). Should be a great still cam too. 

Yep, yep and yep. 

19 minutes ago, Django said:

My guess is an M50 II to throw a bone to Canon users thinking of switching to Z..

No Canon users are thinking of switching. 

And no, before anyone rants at me, I don't think this will be significantly improved 'ergonomics' over the Sony mirrorless cameras. Just as I don't think Nikon extracted any miracles out of a unicorn anus. That is unless it is a Canon DSLR body with an EVF and no mirror, which is possibly a thing... a very weird and pointless thing. 

I saw this at B&Hphoto today and it pretty much sums up why Canon will dominate in mirrorless....

1645481722_ClipboardImage(204).thumb.jpg.cb032c9cec9a9811fc886bf1483774ec.jpg

You see it lists the top 3 'best sellers' in FE lenses.

Never mind that the 28-75 2.8 is supposed to be plasticky, the 50 1.8 is supposed to be horrible and the 85 1.8 isnt supposed to have great bokeh. At the end of the day consumers 'buy value/cheap'. The same applies to APSC where Fuji offers the 'quality/expensive product' but where its market share is so low nobody actually knows what it is. While Canon with minimal efforts is making great inroads. Fuji is releasing an 'amazing' US$6,000 200mm F2' while Canon doesnt sell an EOS-M lens over US$500. Look there is always a market for high end, ground breaking, mtf chart lenses which are inevitably very expensive - but it just isnt a very big one.

All the mirrorless manufacturers are going relentlessly upmarket leaving a large gaping hole for Canon to walk through.

You see the great achievement of Nikon and Sony in FF mirrorless is to create fabulous high tech FF mirrorless at 'relatively affordable' price of under US$2,000. But it is a complete waste of time if even the most basic of your lenses are over US$500 a pop. Sure Sony has now 'eventually' got a few affordable lenses but there simply arent many (especially compared to Canon and Nikon DSLRs.) Both Sony and Nikon are absorbed with huge amounts of hubris - Nikon bringing out a US$6,000 58 0.95 with manual focus  (before a basic long zoom) and Sony is promoting its lightweight, 3kg, US$12,000 400 2.8.....

So in all likelihood Canon will enter the FF mirrorless market with a totally underwhelming camera, with lenses that are uninspiring (but you wont have to have to make the excuse they look good value against Leica.) And much to everyone's irritation but no surprise they will walk away with the market

4 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Nikon bringing out a US$6,000 58 0.95 with manual focus  (before a basic long zoom) and Sony is promoting its lightweight, 3kg, US$12,000 400 2.8.....

It is great to have some exotic expensive lenses to grab the headlines and bolster the prestigious of the brand. 

But I agree, it is a bit pointless if the brand doesn't already have some cheap lenses as an entry point for buyers to capitalize on the interest the exotics bring. 

9 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I saw this at B&Hphoto today and it pretty much sums up why Canon will dominate in mirrorless....

Never mind that the 28-75 2.8 is supposed to be plasticky, the 50 1.8 is supposed to be horrible and the 85 1.8 isnt supposed to have great bokeh. At the end of the day consumers 'buy value/cheap'. The same applies to APSC where Fuji offers the 'quality/expensive product' but where its market share is so low nobody actually knows what it is. While Canon with minimal efforts is making great inroads. Fuji is releasing an 'amazing' US$6,000 200mm F2' while Canon doesnt sell an EOS-M lens over US$500. Look there is always a market for high end, ground breaking, mtf chart lenses which are inevitably very expensive - but it just isnt a very big one.

Don't know about the 28-75 supposed to be plasticky but it IS a popular lens for a reason (I still have the 28-70 FE kit lens and mine is ok), I thought the 50 1.8 was actually supposed to be a great lens let down by not so great AF but still quite nice for the price and again, pretty popular since it is on the list (I have the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 which is a VERY nice lens, even for its high price compared to most normal 1.8 lenses).

As for the FE 85 1.8, I don't know where it has been said it doesn't have great bokeh?      This lens is to me, the best value thing going in photography from ANYONE.     Bokeh is not the absolute best but it is still very good I think, Nikon and Canon could do very well to make an 85 1.8 for mirrorless as good and cheap as the FE 85 1.8

Again the FE 85 1.8 is cheap but it is also very good and my favourite 85 to date (I still own a Canon FD 85 1.2 L).

I think I might have to sell my FE 85 and kit lens t fund my A7s repair (never selling the 55 1.8 and would rather give it to a relative if I can not use it).

I have enough Canon lenses to be hopeful that Canon does make a great FF mirrorless camera that adapts well to EF lenses.

The FE 85 1.8 is a much better lens than the EF 100 f2 I had (and loved) and the cheap Canon nifty fifty's are not as good as the Sony 50 1.8 I would think (mine wasn't all that great though ok).

I have three cheap old Canon zooms and none are as nice as the Sony FE kit lens (which is still just a kit lens).

My A7s ended up being $248.00 dollars, plus shipping to California, 12 bucks with insurance. No cost to ship back to Ohio..

Broken SD card door.

Sony A7S
Sn:5075767

Parts
side door (complete rear unit) and side door locker base

$198.00

Labor
side door (complete rear unit) and side door locker base replaced

$50.00

General service cleaned
No Charge

$0.00

Subtotal $248.00

Total $248.00

Amount paid $248.00

Amount due $0.00 USD

11 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Never mind that the 28-75 2.8 is supposed to be plasticky

BS. Nothing to do with Canon dominating mirrorless. They will probably have a new mount like Nikon and start from 0. Sony lenses are great. Canon dominates DSLR world because of the EF lineup and because of their name. Japanese people like the name. They are far behind Sony in the US for mirrorless. 
I got the 28-75mm on the A7III. Just returned both but tried extensively. This lens is the best lens I have ever used: 

Amazing sharpness and a 28-75 range with 2.8 for this weight at this price is unheard of in the photo world. It's absolutely amazing to have a standard zoom this light yet with amazing corner to corner sharpness. I can't wait for them to release the matching UWA like a 15-28mm 2.8. This would be the best combo ever in term of weight / IQ / 2.8 aperture. 
Returned the A7III because I wait for the A7SIII. I am convinced by the changes made the the A7III, worked really well. Returned the lens because no point keeping it while waiting A7S. 

Also wanted to see Nikon/Canon option as I am really happy to buy those if they are better but so far it seems nothing will even touch the A7SIII. Assuming it will have 4K60P of course cause if it does not then that's just an A7III with less mpx...