Editing Laptop Recommendation

mojo43

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well this isn't the cheapest solution, but it looks to be a pretty big improvement.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/14/back-to-the-mac-010-dual-egpus/

Interesting.  Probably the most interesting thing to me is that adding the second eGPU only seems to benefit the benchmarks and not any real-world results.  I'm not sure if they'll end up optimising for multiple eGPUs or not.  It's definitely harder to write software that uses a flexible number of processors, and IT these days is about replacing the one you have instead of adding a new one and still using last-years model too.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/25/2018 at 4:59 AM, kye said:

Knowing how quickly BM release updates and how much effort they're putting into development, I wouldn't be surprised if the Windows version of Resolve gets a big performance bump at some point soon.

Actually with the fairly recent Apple's Metal framework for programming GPUs that apple provides (I'm not sure if BM is using that) over what's available one Windows. I'm not sure they will reach parity. But they might. Who knows. 

On 8/24/2018 at 11:15 PM, mojo43 said:

I just got my laptop stolen from my bag in an overhead bin on a flight to a shoot... ughhh.

I need recommendations on a laptop PC 15inch to be used as an editing machine on the road. Please help if you have any ideas!! I am editing in DaVinci.

This is worrying. Did they take the whole bag or just slip the laptop out? I am definitely putting a lock on my carry on from now on. I also need a new laptop so can't advise, but can confirm that the Dell XPS 15 is an awesome travel laptop as it is so compact. Wouldn't hesitate getting another if the specs are good enough now. I had an MSI gaming laptop and mainly switched to the XPS as it was so much smaller.

• 1 year later...