Editing Laptop Recommendation

mojo43

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, mojo43 said:

I just got my laptop stolen from my bag in an overhead bin on a flight to a shoot... ughhh.

I need recommendations on a laptop PC 15inch to be used as an editing machine on the road. Please help if you have any ideas!! I am editing in DaVinci.

I'm looking at the Razer Blade 2018. Costs a pretty penny when maxed out, but makes sense for editing on the go.

Things that make me look at it: better cooling than previous models, the tests I've seen show little to no throttling, small power adapter, best windows touchpad (and big) available, decent panel, 6core/12thread, easily upgraded to 32GB RAM, GTX 1070, 512GB SSD

17 minutes ago, Linus N said:

I'm looking at the Razer Blade 2018. Costs a pretty penny when maxed out, but makes sense for editing on the go.

Things that make me look at it: better cooling than previous models, the tests I've seen show little to no throttling, small power adapter, best windows touchpad (and big) available, decent panel, 6core/12thread, easily upgraded to 32GB RAM, GTX 1070, 512GB SSD

So about 2400 USD? I wonder if I would have to use proxies still to scrub through 4K footage. Have you seen this machine in person? Some of these gaming laptops are way too big. I had the Acer nitro which has now found a new home :( and it as borderline too big for me.

34 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

If you have the space get an eGPU as this will make virtually any reasonabe spec laptop run Resolve OK. 

I had never heard of that  before. So basically you need a thunderbolt connection? How big are these cards? 

58 minutes ago, mojo43 said:

So about 2400 USD? I wonder if I would have to use proxies still to scrub through 4K footage. Have you seen this machine in person? Some of these gaming laptops are way too big. I had the Acer nitro which has now found a new home :( and it as borderline too big for me.

The Swedish price is... higher ?

As for scrubbing it depends on codec and what you're throwing on the footage, as you know. Just some sort of reference is that my current MSI GS63VR (4C/8T, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060) can handle 4K 25p XAVC-I from the FS7 and 4K 25p ALL-I from the GH5 without exploding. I almost never shoot Long-GOP codecs so idk how it would feel about that. 

I'm looking to replace my MSI as it's going to someone else in the company. Both the Blade and MSI:s GS-series of laptops are slim and light for the power they pack. Performance-wise I can find similar specs for same/lower price, but Blade for me ticks portability, small charger and big+good trackpad for those pesky flights and train rides. On a train right now doing some storyboarding on the GS63VR (with the Wacom Intuos Small BT if anyone cares :))

EDIT: Personally I've skipped eGPU's for now as I move about a lot. 3 different offices (not my own ones, of course) and a lot of time traveling means I don't wanna haul it around. If you're more static than I am, having a nicely specced 13" laptop with eGPU at your main workstation is a cool and portable option imo :)

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Linus N said:

3 different offices (not my own ones, of course) and a lot of time traveling means I don't wanna haul it around.

Surely you'd have enough room in the Tardis or the boot of the De Lorean if you are time traveling though?

Sorry.

5 hours ago, salim said:

Max just did a comparisons and on Resolve the Mac is killing it. 

Knowing how quickly BM release updates and how much effort they're putting into development, I wouldn't be surprised if the Windows version of Resolve gets a big performance bump at some point soon.  The performance differences in that video can't be explained by the hardware differences so I think they must be software optimisations.

If the OP has a preference for PC then I wouldn't use those test results to recommend a complete change in computer platform.

@mojo43 sorry to hear about your laptop getting taken!  I keep my carry-on under the seat in front of me but I have a soft backpack and I guess if yours is har-shelled or too big it might not work.

12 hours ago, mojo43 said:

I had never heard of that  before. So basically you need a thunderbolt connection? How big are these cards? 

Yes ( Sorry I should have mentioned that). These boxes take normal desktop size GPU's and do vary in size as some have internal  PSU's. The Asus XG station pro is not too big and has an external PSU. It's also not that expensive and put in a GTX 1070 or above and resolve will fly. 

5 hours ago, kye said:

@mojo43 sorry to hear about your laptop getting taken!  I keep my carry-on under the seat in front of me but I have a soft backpack and I guess if yours is har-shelled or too big it might not work.

I always keep it in front of me, but I made an exception this time. Ya it sucks. Lots of works gone.

8 minutes ago, mojo43 said:

I had never looked at the XPS models. Seems like a 1000 usd cheaper. Seems like the Mac is a lot better though. 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15/spd/xps-15-9570-laptop/dncwxb1649s

I don't see how the Mac is a lot better unless you want to use FCP as they are basically sharing the same hardware ( XPS slightly better in the GPU dept) and both limited by thermal design to doing non intensive tasks.

I've been using an eGPU for a few weeks now on my XPS 9560 and love it despite the extra bulk but you do have the option of doing basic stuff without it and then plugging it in when you want to get down to business. The current generations of mobile CPU's and GPU's are good enough for 4k editing in terms of processor speeds but when put in thin laptops they generate too much heat to be used for anything other than short busts of use.

Sorry to hear that.

How anything is stolen on an airplane? I haven't hear that before!

When I did my research, I went for one of the slim Asus gaming laptops with i7 and GTX1060, but a very good friend of mine bought a Lenovo Carbon X1, which was a lot more expensive without a dedicated GPU, but an impressive machine nevertheless.

If you are not absolute about Apple, then I would just spend my money on Dell/Lenovo/Asus or even HP (they have some nice ultrabooks, but the rest are lacking).