Andrew Reid

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Doesn't look anything like Sony to me. I really dislike Sony colours. As has been said, I don't think there is nowhere near as many serious video shooters with Nikon yet. Nikon has not been a choice for serious video work until now. I love the look of the Z 6 and don't understand how they get such a fat image through so few mbps. But, webrunner5, if you don't like it that's fine, it's subjective at the end of the day. I think the only way you'll find out is if you rent one and see for yourself. No amount of online footage will do that for you. 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd like to share one or two clips, but I'm reluctant as I'm still learning how to properly use resolve and grade. I'm still working on my skills and, once I will be comfortable, I'll post here  flat/before  and an after clips. But what I can say is  that the flat footage is quite neutral, and with only minor tweaks like curves, saturation etc. I really find the image to sing. And that's come from someone who likes what he sees from Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, BMD...

I've always preferred Nikon for stills (over Canon), and I find all the attributes that make me like Nikon imagery in the Z6 video files. I've also owned Fuji for years, but, for my tastes, I personally prefer more my stills output with the Z6, than with my XT1, XE2 and XT2. I'm mostly a landscape/documentary photographer for what it worth.

Once again, you can read on forums, for example,  that Panasonic colors are not at Canon's level, and a people complain about that. But, I often watch beautiful GH5 stuffs that literally destroy a large part of the things I watch on Canon...  Coming back to the Z6, I maintain what I think concerning the ratio of filmmakers/amateur-first-time-videographer in the available videos at the moment. Yesterday, I was searching for fresh Z6 footage on youtube, and I mostly came across strange framerate videos, awful grading, copy/paste styles or luts that are not adapted etc. applied to lots of Z6 clips.  It really do not praise in favor of the quality of the camera. I do hope that the next firmware will bring more experienced persons to use the camera, and give us a larger amount of great videos to watch.

Just a question :  prores raw is, at the moment, not editable on PC. Do you guys think that it may be possible one day ? I'm eager to try prores raw recording with the Z6, but not ready to ditch all my computer gear to switch to apple (no money for that). Thank you !

16 hours ago, Skip77 said:

The Z6 has sharpness setting you can adjust but it also captures more detail then the GH5s, BMP4K and A7III

No, the Z6 does not capture more details than Sony A7III. The Z6 has a strong AA filter that decreases details.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=sony_a7iii&attr29_1=nikon_z6&attr72_0=4k&attr72_1=4k&normalization=full&widget=341&x=0.20082815032951964&y=-0.5766719152403976

16 hours ago, Skip77 said:

I have the Z6 and the one thing it does is capture realistic color and dynamic range. Now Sony on the other hand.....

Also No, the Z6 does not have better dynamic range than Sony A7III. We will wait and see the RAW output, but for now, its still not better.

17 hours ago, Skip77 said:

You can change and grade out the dark look. Why is this a concern? You raise the shadows up.

Well if you have crushed blacks, like all of it seems to be, you have really no data in there to recover. Sure you can lighten it up , but there will be little to no detail left to see the Gradients that should have been there. There is no free lunch. If you could just do that with raising the shadows up later then why even bother with any exposure, just point and shoot, fix in Post. Same goes for blowing out the highs. There is no data to recover. You end up with like 7 stops of DR If you are lucky.

Not counting if you get it right in camera you have less editing to do.  Sure, we hopefully have the skill to push stuff around in post but the average person is not going to grade nothing, and they shounldn't be expected on Auto to Have to. I am not sure if you raise the exposure on these new Nikons to avoid the crushed blacks is there room at the top to Not blow out the highs? Maybe not, Nikon may be trying to preserve the highs as it is worse to blow them than crush the blacks. It is a odd duck CS if you ask me. Nothing I like very much.

Nikon has somewhat in the last few years been known, at least on the camera photo side, as having a lot of DR, room to recover stuff. And it is a Sony Sensor, with Nikon's "secret sauce" in it so it ought to be capable. But they seemed, Nikon, to really change direction on these new ones. The older Nikons had some pretty great looking OOC CS. Interesting, surely no one complained about the D750 OOC look?

17 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Did you see the RedShark footage? I hope you can see user preference over graded footage. Do you own the Z6? I have the Z6 and the one thing it does is capture realistic color and dynamic range. Now Sony on the other hand.....

Oh bullshit. The new Sony Venice CS is one of the best on the market now. It looks more Canon than Canon is. You are just talking out of your ass now. And the new Nikons have the worse out now. Fuji and Canon makes the new Nikon CS look like Hammered Dog Shit. And I liked Nikon until this turkey landed. I even have a Nikon DSLR. They need their ass beat. They must have hired the 3 Blind Mice for this new CS.

44 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Oh bullshit. The new Sony Venice CS is one of the best on the market now. It looks more Canon than Canon is. You are just talking out of your ass now. And the new Nikons have the worse out now. Fuji and Canon makes the new Nikon CS look like Hammered Dog Shit. And I liked Nikon until this turkey landed. I even have a Nikon DSLR. They need their ass beat. They must have hired the 3 Blind Mice for this new CS.

I didn't say the Z6 looked like Canon or the Venice. I also didn't compare the Z6 to a cine camera yet. I'm also not going by footage straight out of the camera either. Nikon colors are better then any Sony A7??? series camera or A9 camera. The Z6 has very a very clean color system and this is based on my experience next to the FS7 and test I've done.