Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

I think that lens is designed for a very particular type of Japanese camera collector / user. The same ones who buy those mint cameras on eBay and the Leica collectors editions, and that I follow on Instagram. If you don't have much space, but a high disposable income and the urge to collect then £8k camera lenses might be just the thing for you! 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a beautiful leather bag for that lens and the Z7 that comes with its own cover bag to stop the bag getting damaged, they're not expecting professional users to buy it ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/12/2019 at 1:14 PM, Castorp said:

Aye that Moments video looks really good.

Allthoug there are some horrible shots in there. Like 0:36, the colors look pretty horrible to me (also prolly due to production who provided a horrible backback). 

But still not completely sold on the Z6, gonna wait till the end of the year and see what pops up. 

On 10/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, Otago said:

I think that lens is designed for a very particular type of Japanese camera collector / user. The same ones who buy those mint cameras on eBay and the Leica collectors editions, and that I follow on Instagram. If you don't have much space, but a high disposable income and the urge to collect then £8k camera lenses might be just the thing for you! 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a beautiful leather bag for that lens and the Z7 that comes with its own cover bag to stop the bag getting damaged, they're not expecting professional users to buy it ?

Its extraordinary when people who are in video comment on a lens, that any mean beat every cinema lens and cost like 1/3 an Arri or Cooke. Before laughthing go and look at the result from Dpreview, the thing is out of this world, it beats the leica noctilux which cost 1/3 more. In fact I see this lens will have a place in many place in video/cinema use, more than photo.

But thinking about the last part, it is Z lens so won't fit on nearly anything. Some will perhaps just buy the z6 as an accessory for it.

14 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Its extraordinary when people who are in video comment on a lens, that any mean beat every cinema lens and cost like 1/3 an Arri or Cooke. Before laughthing go and look at the result from Dpreview, the thing is out of this world, it beats the leica noctilux which cost 1/3 more. In fact I see this lens will have a place in many place in video/cinema use, more than photo.

But thinking about the last part, it is Z lens so won't fit on nearly anything. Some will perhaps just buy the z6 as an accessory for it.

Perhaps it will become a huge success and a cult film making lens, but I think it's more likely to be the next Leica 50/1 Noctilux where a few people use it to it's full extents and many lust over it and sell it when the realities of using that lens hit and it ends up stopped down to 1.4 or 2. 

On 4/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, liork said:

No, the Z6 does not capture more details than Sony A7III. The Z6 has a strong AA filter that decreases details.

https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=sony_a7iii&attr29_1=nikon_z6&attr72_0=4k&attr72_1=4k&normalization=full&widget=341&x=0.20082815032951964&y=-0.5766719152403976

Also No, the Z6 does not have better dynamic range than Sony A7III. We will wait and see the RAW output, but for now, its still not better.

It rather looks like a too weak AA filter to me (lots of Moiré). Can this be fixed in firmware?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Evgeniy said:

I did a comparison video of Nikon Z6 and Sony A6500 if anyone is interested. It would make more sense to compare it to A7III but I didn't have at the time, and it looks pretty much the same as A6500 in Slog.

Thank you very much for the comparison. N-log comparisons are so rare it's very nice to see them done by someone that knows how to properly expose an image. Would you be able to send me the N-log video file for the woman standing outside? Would love to be able to run it through resolve and see how it plays.

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

Thank you very much for the comparison. N-log comparisons are so rare it's very nice to see them done by someone that knows how to properly expose an image. Would you be able to send me the N-log video file for the woman standing outside? Would love to be able to run it through resolve and see how it plays.

Thanks.

I will try to upload it for you on the weekend.