Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks like you can do Nlog regardless of if using the Ninja V or not. Not confirmed 100% but it seems that way. 

Considering I can get a Ninja 2 for under $200 that makes a full frame 10 bit camera pretty dang cheap. How is the 1080p 60p coming out of the camera I wonder. I know the S1 HD is pretty sucky. 

9 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Looks like you can do Nlog regardless of if using the Ninja V or not. Not confirmed 100% but it seems that way. 

Considering I can get a Ninja 2 for under $200 that makes a full frame 10 bit camera pretty dang cheap. How is the 1080p 60p coming out of the camera I wonder. I know the S1 HD is pretty sucky. 

You can get N-log out of anything that takes HDMI so yes it will work. I've found the 1080p to be excellent on the camera, I should test what the n-log gets me at 1080p though. 

3 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

You can get N-log out of anything that takes HDMI so yes it will work. I've found the 1080p to be excellent on the camera, I should test what the n-log gets me at 1080p though. 

If it can do 1080p 60p that is something the S1 doesn't do well. Sure you can shoot in 4k 60p which is arguably better, but its not full frame. And of course the internal 4k 60p is limited to 8 bit. That said even getting a really good deal on an S1 plus a black magic assist HD, still looking at $1800-$2000, which an S1 can be had for. 

Which one would you get Panasonic S1 or Nikon Z6? I've tried Sony a7III evf and it was just horrible, and I do use viewfinder for photography so I was wondering how good is Nikon z6 viewfinder compared to Sony a7III and is Nikon z6 viewfinder close to like watching a good monitor? How better is Panasonic S1 viewfinder compared to NIkon Z6. Evf is one factor that can be the deciding factor between Panasonic S1 and Nikon Z6. And how do the image quality of 1080p slow motion compare between the two cameras? Anyone to help me out here? And does Nikon Z6 feels better quality than sony a7III? 

5 hours ago, Krotor said:

Which one would you get Panasonic S1 or Nikon Z6? I've tried Sony a7III evf and it was just horrible, and I do use viewfinder for photography so I was wondering how good is Nikon z6 viewfinder compared to Sony a7III and is Nikon z6 viewfinder close to like watching a good monitor? How better is Panasonic S1 viewfinder compared to NIkon Z6. Evf is one factor that can be the deciding factor between Panasonic S1 and Nikon Z6. And how do the image quality of 1080p slow motion compare between the two cameras? Anyone to help me out here? And does Nikon Z6 feels better quality than sony a7III? 

Z6 viewfinder is miles ahead of the A7III. I've owned both and while the A7III is okay your constantly aware your looking at a screen. There is a slight delay in the Z6 when recording video that is very annoying however. The S1 viewfinder I would say is about the same in my brief trying of it.  S1 has significantly better specs, but also expensive lenses as does the Nikon. 

One thing to consider for future work. The Sony, Panasonic, and Canon cameras  have or will have cinema cameras that you will be able to use their lenses on. I love my Z6 despite it's quirks, but I'll never be able to use their glass on a native high end cinema body. This is a factor if you want to choose a system. 

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

Z6 viewfinder is miles ahead of the A7III. I've owned both and while the A7III is okay your constantly aware your looking at a screen. There is a slight delay in the Z6 when recording video that is very annoying however. The S1 viewfinder I would say is about the same in my brief trying of it.  S1 has significantly better specs, but also expensive lenses as does the Nikon. 

One thing to consider for future work. The Sony, Panasonic, and Canon cameras  have or will have cinema cameras that you will be able to use their lenses on. I love my Z6 despite it's quirks, but I'll never be able to use their glass on a native high end cinema body. This is a factor if you want to choose a system. 

If you use older Nikon glass its much less expensive tho

5 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Thanks for the helpful response, Geoff! At the moment, at this price point, Nikon Z6 is really tempting to me. Autofocus in video is an important factor for me at the moment and I gather from numerous sources that Z6's autofocus is pretty good. What's your finding on Nikon Z6's auto-focus capability? If budget were no concern to me then I'd probably invest in a panasonic S1H in addition to a Nikon Z6, but at the moment I'm really tempted to get a Z6 as I gather from Andrew that color grading Z6 8 bit video is a lot easier than from other cameras' videos. Does Nikon Z6 feel a better built camera to you compared to sony A7III? So, I guess I shouldn't be concerned about Z6's viewfinder quality according to you. Would you prefer optical viewfinder or Nikon Z6 viewfinder?

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If you use older Nikon glass its much less expensive tho

That's true. What's your experience with Nikon Z6? 

2 hours ago, Krotor said:

Thanks for the helpful response, Geoff! At the moment, at this price point, Nikon Z6 is really tempting to me. Autofocus in video is an important factor for me at the moment and I gather from numerous sources that Z6's autofocus is pretty good. What's your finding on Nikon Z6's auto-focus capability? If budget were no concern to me then I'd probably invest in a panasonic S1H in addition to a Nikon Z6, but at the moment I'm really tempted to get a Z6 as I gather from Andrew that color grading Z6 8 bit video is a lot easier than from other cameras' videos. Does Nikon Z6 feel a better built camera to you compared to sony A7III? So, I guess I shouldn't be concerned about Z6's viewfinder quality according to you. Would you prefer optical viewfinder or Nikon Z6 viewfinder?

That's true. What's your experience with Nikon Z6? 

Reviews of the Z6 when feeding 10 bit N-log to a Ninja V (or similar external recorder) suggest that AF slows down a *lot* when used in this way; IBIS performance also suffers (versus internal 8 bit 4k recording, as if the processor has its hands too darned busy with the 10 bit N-log to have much capacity for managing AF and IBIS).  However, the Atomos CEO recently 'leaked' news that a near-future firmware update will see improvements to the Z6's AF (see, for example, https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4427659 ).  Is it likely that the impending firmware to which Atomos is referring will see AF when exporting 10 bit N-log improved to a level comparable to internal 8 bit recording?  

17 hours ago, Dirk Gently said:

Reviews of the Z6 when feeding 10 bit N-log to a Ninja V (or similar external recorder) suggest that AF slows down a *lot* when used in this way; IBIS performance also suffers (versus internal 8 bit 4k recording, as if the processor has its hands too darned busy with the 10 bit N-log to have much capacity for managing AF and IBIS).  However, the Atomos CEO recently 'leaked' news that a near-future firmware update will see improvements to the Z6's AF (see, for example, https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4427659 ).  Is it likely that the impending firmware to which Atomos is referring will see AF when exporting 10 bit N-log improved to a level comparable to internal 8 bit recording?  

Thanks for the info, Dirk! Nikon sure did a good job with the Nikon Z6 considering it's first ff mirror-less attempt with pretty good video quality, really good IBIS for first attempt and auto-focus capability in video mode that Nikon hadn't been able to get around Until Z series. But then again the offerings from other brands were already ahead of Z6 in many regards. I hope Nikon does updates it's auto-focus capability during video when paired with an external recorder to record 10 bit N-log and when the raw capability arrives. I would even go with Blackmagic Pocket 6k but then the poor battery life and lack of IBIS and no auto-focus (At least for now I do need a decent auto-focus for the kind of work I intend to do) pushed me away from it. And I do need a photography ff camera as well so Nikon Z6, for the time being, fits the list of my needs for the money. 

2 hours ago, Krotor said:

Thanks for the info, Dirk! Nikon sure did a good job with the Nikon Z6 considering it's first ff mirror-less attempt with pretty good video quality, really good IBIS for first attempt and auto-focus capability in video mode that Nikon hadn't been able to get around Until Z series. But then again the offerings from other brands were already ahead of Z6 in many regards. I hope Nikon does updates it's auto-focus capability during video when paired with an external recorder to record 10 bit N-log and when the raw capability arrives. I would even go with Blackmagic Pocket 6k but then the poor battery life and lack of IBIS and no auto-focus (At least for now I do need a decent auto-focus for the kind of work I intend to do) pushed me away from it. And I do need a photography ff camera as well so Nikon Z6, for the time being, fits the list of my needs for the money. 

I think there are many users in a similar position...in many ways the Z6 is a good fit (particularly for those of us with lots of F mount glass) but Nikon's effort seems to have been disjoint...the battery grip is only about to be released (having been announced as 'coming soon' at the time of the Z6/Z7 launch in summer 2018), the ProRes Raw is delayed, it has transpired that AF and IBIS when piping 10 bit externally are much less responsive... I agree with you that, overall, the Z6 was a fine first effort in FF mirrorless from Nikon.  Yet the gaps and inconsistencies make you wonder about the degree of commitment from the very top of the company (not least since Nikon is the one maker without a high-margin cinema line of video cameras to shield).  Such a 'rookie error' as omitting any metering gauge from Live View/video makes you question their internal processes, too...doesn't someone notice such a bizarre omission at some point during the new product commissioning process??!  And yet...I like very much the quality of the 10 bit N-log images that I've seen.  The 8 bit internal 4:2:0 looks to have quite harsh highlight rolloff and limited DR (even by 8 bit standards vs other FF cameras) but there are occasions when it's sufficient, and low light is very good indeed.

55 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Having used the z6, I personally don't know the criticism some have. I cannot say how much I like the quality I get out of it. This is an absolute beauty of a video shot entirely on the z6.

Thank you; this is a lovely film.  The end credits detail each lens and setting used.  Since there is no further qualification of the settings used, may we conclude that this was shot internally in 8 bit 4k (not in N-log 10 bit externally)?

10 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Having used the z6, I personally don't know the criticism some have. I cannot say how much I like the quality I get out of it. This is an absolute beauty of a video shot entirely on the z6.

I need to filter my lenses more.  Looks great.