Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For anyone wondering how the LUT matches up Panasonic's LUT or even compared to RED footage, here's some Z6 10-bit NLog footage with Nikon's new NLog to rec709 LUT...

vgs8Qjs.jpg

Here's the same footage with the Panasonic VLog to rec709 LUT applied...

7kCllgp.jpg

And for good measure, here's what my RED Epic-W captured...

SH6bkcI.jpg

I'm going to keep using Panasonic's LUT for now.

13 hours ago, Simon Young said:

Soooo while Panasonic releases their latest beast of a full frame video camera Nikon quietly sneaks out a silent “we fucked you”.... nice.

Yeah I absolutely love my z6 but announcing the RAW is going to require a hardware adjustment is definitely a kick in the teeth.

At least they should have put 10-bit LOG internally in the camera to soften the blow.

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Yeah I absolutely love my z6 but announcing the RAW is going to require a hardware adjustment is definitely a kick in the teeth.

At least they should have put 10-bit LOG internally in the camera to soften the blow.

Glad I parted ways with mine. Nikon initially pitched Raw like a free upgrade, this announcement certainly would have annoyed me had I not.

I still recommend my own LUTs for N-Log: http://colorizer.net/index.php?op=aces

The official LUT provided by Nikon is very amateurish, see what it does to a grey gradient:

nikon_gradient2.jpg.b009a11ee0d0f8e391554195baa496ac.jpg

See the ripple in the highlight rolloff? It's ugly. Let's see it with curves:

nikon_gradient1.jpg.1e4d3a9a32440c0afe9f6026696c65a0.jpg

You can also see that the neutrals don't stay neutral, especially the shadows.

z6 was a nice camera, too bad nikon did not grab the opportunity to be the first hybrid FF camera with raw video, they now tiptoe with a paid raw upgrade with return to service center instead of going full speed ahead, window of opportunity is closing, they wont have a second chance now that the camera market is quickly shrinking. this is the nail in the coffin, nikon is so dead. i believe sony and canon will be the only 2 survivors in the hybrid camera market (unfortunately for us consumers, as less competition means slower innovation and higher prices)

On 8/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, The ghost of squig said:

"it won't happen overnight, but it will happen". Australian proverb.

Nikon will get it right eventually (said me in 2009)

nikon wont have time to get it right, after being dormant for decades , camera market is moving fast, today's tiny market is too small now to have so many different camera makers 

1 hour ago, amanieux said:

nikon wont have time to get it right, after being dormant for decades , camera market is moving fast, today's tiny market is too small now to have so many different camera makers 

Nikon so easily could. Nikon doesn't have a pro video line to cannibalise, and if a small company like Blackmagic can do internal raw(ish), so can Nikon.

2 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

I still recommend my own LUTs for N-Log: http://colorizer.net/index.php?op=aces

The official LUT provided by Nikon is very amateurish, see what it does to a grey gradient:

nikon_gradient2.jpg.b009a11ee0d0f8e391554195baa496ac.jpg

See the ripple in the highlight rolloff? It's ugly. Let's see it with curves:

nikon_gradient1.jpg.1e4d3a9a32440c0afe9f6026696c65a0.jpg

You can also see that the neutrals don't stay neutral, especially the shadows.

Yes, their LUT is no good. I wonder who did it for them. Don't want to be hard on Nikon, they are new to this, but still. They should hire some knowledge into their team regarding video. Neutrals not staying neutral is not that bad in my book though... At least in my attempts to match Alexa I couldn't find a way to come closer without some cast in the neutrals. Your LUT, Attila, stays true to the neutrals, but leaves too much of the Z6 N-log inherent "greenishness", at least to my liking. And I prefer even gentler  roll into the shadows.

6 minutes ago, Zeng said:

Yes, their LUT is no good. I wonder who did it for them. Don't want to be hard on Nikon, they are new to this, but still. They should hire some knowledge into their team regarding video. Neutrals not staying neutral is not that bad in my book though... At least in my attempts to match Alexa I couldn't find a way to come closer without some cast in the neutrals. Your LUT, Attila, stays true to the neutrals, but leaves too much of the Z6 N-log inherent "greenishness", at least to my liking. And I prefer even gentler  roll into the shadows.

Yes the LUTs included in my ACES packages are strictly technical, they don't include any fixes for possible color casts, it's up to the user to do that.

36 minutes ago, The ghost of squig said:

Nikon so easily could. Nikon doesn't have a pro video line to cannibalise, and if a small company like Blackmagic can do internal raw(ish), so can Nikon.

true nikon and fuji were the only 2 makers not having a pro video line to protect but the survival window is getting smaller and smaller, i believe it is too late for nikon, time will tell.

The way Nikon handled the PR around the proresRaw update is so poor. I can understand that they were trying to generate some hype but still... Imagine they had announced proresRaw just now. People would praise them up to heaven. And bitching about a paid upgrade? I mean we don't know what it costs, but if it's in the GH5/V-log league, who would have cared?

Now people feel as if Nikon is breaking promises or giving them a bad deal.

They need to get this update out ASAP.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:38 AM, @sauvedep said:

For anyone wondering how the LUT matches up Panasonic's LUT or even compared to RED footage, here's some Z6 10-bit NLog footage with Nikon's new NLog to rec709 LUT...

vgs8Qjs.jpg

Here's the same footage with the Panasonic VLog to rec709 LUT applied...

7kCllgp.jpg

And for good measure, here's what my RED Epic-W captured...

SH6bkcI.jpg

I'm going to keep using Panasonic's LUT for now.

Well it might not be to my taste but it at least looks very color accurate.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:18 AM, Simon Young said:

Soooo while Panasonic releases their latest beast of a full frame video camera Nikon quietly sneaks out a silent “we fucked you”.... nice.

People are real life jokes, so you are getting RAW video from an update and don't have to buy a new camera and you are still complaining. The z6 is like half the cost of that Panasonic and is still beyond most people capabilities as shown by the video above.

On 8/29/2019 at 1:36 PM, The ghost of squig said:

Have you seen the size of the BM apsc only 6k camera. Tell me about it's superb autofocus and battery life for video... and photo. Oh yeah, Nikon should do a video camera and forget there core market for some people on the internet that I am sure has a valid reason to need a raw full frame camera for less than 3k. They are really ripping their customers.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:56 PM, Cliff Totten said:

OUCH!  Well?...Atomos DID say that "they" were ready but that the bottleneck was on Nikon's side. With Nikon not really being an experienced "video" company,  I guess they bit off more than they could chew, I have to guess the raw data pipeline just wasn't designed into the motherboard and HDMI data bus.

I was told that Atomos' raw over HDMI scheme uses the built-in and RARELY implemented Ethernet spec inside HDMI 1.4 and higher. If Nikon is going to do it the Atomos way, they need to uses an HDMI chipset that is capable of accessing that Ethernet data bus inside HDMI 1.4+.  Is it possible that Nikon's HDMI controller doesn't employ that Ethernet data channel?

Secondly, Nikon needs to dump the raw sensor readout data to the HDMI bus...pre-image processor. This motherboard needs to be wired to do that in advance. If the raw sensor data goes straight into the Z6 image processor, that's no good for raw over HDMI output. Is it possible that the Z6 HDMI is wired straight into the output of the image processor.

I don't know,....but this makes BOTH Nikon and Atomos look really bad. More so on Nikon because they seemingly told Atomos their Z6 motherboard could do it. 

What a newbie mistake on Nikon's part!

CT

Yep, perhaps some component is not holding up to what they expected and they prefer to play it safe and do a hardware upgrade. On every site people have been complaining about companies giving more features if need, even for a paid upgrade. You have a company doing it, and giving you the ultimate format and people are still complaining. I mean Nikon just brought 10 bit (full frame) and raw to the dslr mirrorless market price segment and those guys are still complaining. You would believe Nikon just removed 24p in their latest camera release or still sticking to 8bit video.

6 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Have you seen the size of the BM apsc only 6k camera. Tell me about it's superb autofocus and battery life for video... and photo. Oh yeah, Nikon should do a video camera and forget there core market for some people on the internet that I am sure has a valid reason to need a raw full frame camera for less than 3k. They are really ripping their customers.

?

• 3 weeks later...