Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/08/15/nikon-z-mirrorless-aps-c-camera-mockups.aspx/

..and because we love to speculate there is this rumor..I wonder what native lenses are people going to use with this one..

APS-C mirrorless sell like hot cakes though - relatively (X cameras, a6xxx cameras, even M cameras keeping Canon high in sales!) - maybe Nikon wants some of that.

There is also the announcement of a filmaking revolution from Nikon India in 19 of August. Wish it was a new video specialized Nikon camera.

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

APS-C mirrorless sell like hot cakes though - relatively (X cameras, a6xxx cameras, even M cameras keeping Canon high in sales!) - maybe Nikon wants some of that.

Yes, without APS-C Z Mount cameras then Nikon has nowhere to grow their next generation of photographers/filmmakers to support Nikon into the future

32 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, without APS-C Z Mount cameras then Nikon has nowhere to grow their next generation of photographers/filmmakers to support Nikon into the future

..and I forgot the Birders and sports people that need their crop sensors too. Seems like a popular segment for Canonikon cameras. The scetches doesn't look half bad either!

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Timotheus said:

https://www.nikonrumors.co/nikon-introduces-the-dedicated-3d-lut-for-n-log-feature-on-z6-z7-support-for-raw-video-output-coming-later-2019/

Some movement on Prores RAW. Still coming this year they say, but will require hardware servicing and additional cost.

Reminds me of certain Canon camera to have to send in the camera for the "upgrade"

• Super Members
34 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Are they going to include the mod in newer Z6 cameras I wonder?

AKA "Stop buying them cheap used ones and boost our sales figures by buying this huge stockpile of them that we've pre-modified for you by flashing the new firmware on it."

If anyone in the UK has ever sent anything in to Nikon UK for service they'll know how long this mod could take.

They had one of my D4s for so long for a shutter change I was on the verge of asking them to take a picture of it in front of a newspaper as proof of life.

I think we can guess where any money for a paid upgrade to enable RAW might end up.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Complete madness! ?

I just spent the weekend filming with the BMPCC6K and like many other have already said there's simply nothing that comes even closer to the IQ that camera produces for the price, nothing!

I think the other companies seriously need to step up their video game and this is definitely NOT the way to do that... ?‍♂️

Oh dear. As Fagan said: I am reviewing the situation.

Was about to send them my z6 for warranty repair. Might as well wait now, or might get rid of the bloomin lot. I hear plumbing is profitable.

The weird thing is I don't love the z6. I really love the d800. I even loved the d5x00s. They were a nightmare to use but the image always surprised me.  The z6 is clunky like the d5300 but 5 times the price. 

"The Z6 isn’t a bad camera. Why has the market seemingly rejected it when it’s better specced than the A7 III?"

Lack of native lenses. Feeling like, as Canon, these first mirrorless releases are just half-baked first generation cameras that need improvement.

At it's current pricing, the Z6 -is- a steal, if you regard it as a true hybrid (for photography use too, try that on a BMPCC4K). But yes, native lens options are limited...I don't mind as I am very much enjoying all my vintage glass in conjunction with the fabulous Vizelex ND mount adapter.

I think user adoption would be greatly accelerated if third party lens developers got on board.
The E-mount Tamron zooms and Samyang AF primes are killing it on the Sonys.
Imagine that whole portfolio being available for the Z-mount (or Canon RF for that matter).

I got the Z6 24-70 Kit with a 64GB XQD in nov 2018 for 2800€ and I'am still very happy with it. Yes, the price dropped a little bit more than I expected but it is still a better camera for filming than a A7III.
I think the Prores RAW option is still free but you have to send it to a Nikon service and that will cost you a some $ ... but if that works its totally fine for me! ... The BMPCC 6K is a very good camera (have two in order) but only for video! ... the Nikon can do both and that's why I went with it.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

The E-mount Tamron zooms and Samyang AF primes are killing it on the Sonys.
Imagine that whole portfolio being available for the Z-mount (or Canon RF for that matter).

The TechArt adapter does seem to be working very well with a lot of the 3rd party E mount lenses (except for the cheaper Samyang 35mm f2.8) on the stills side but not sure how people are getting on with it for video.

OUCH!  Well?...Atomos DID say that "they" were ready but that the bottleneck was on Nikon's side. With Nikon not really being an experienced "video" company,  I guess they bit off more than they could chew, I have to guess the raw data pipeline just wasn't designed into the motherboard and HDMI data bus.

I was told that Atomos' raw over HDMI scheme uses the built-in and RARELY implemented Ethernet spec inside HDMI 1.4 and higher. If Nikon is going to do it the Atomos way, they need to uses an HDMI chipset that is capable of accessing that Ethernet data bus inside HDMI 1.4+.  Is it possible that Nikon's HDMI controller doesn't employ that Ethernet data channel?

Secondly, Nikon needs to dump the raw sensor readout data to the HDMI bus...pre-image processor. This motherboard needs to be wired to do that in advance. If the raw sensor data goes straight into the Z6 image processor, that's no good for raw over HDMI output. Is it possible that the Z6 HDMI is wired straight into the output of the image processor.

I don't know,....but this makes BOTH Nikon and Atomos look really bad. More so on Nikon because they seemingly told Atomos their Z6 motherboard could do it. 

What a newbie mistake on Nikon's part!

CT