Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/4/2019 at 8:41 AM, Trek of Joy said:

Insane Z6/7 refurb deals at B&H...

Z6 + 24-70/4, $1799 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1488631-REG/nikon_1598b_z_6_fx_camera_body.html

Z6 Body only, $1349 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1488630-REG/nikon_1595b_z_6_fx_format_mirrorless.html

Z7 Body only, $2299 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1488628-REG/nikon_1591b_z_7_fx_format_mirrorless.html

Z7 + 24-70/4, $2699 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1488629-REG/nikon_1594b_z_7_fx_camera_body.html

The first gen cams from Canon, Nikon and Panasonic are flatlining, prices are being pushed down fast.  That Z6/lens combo is so tempting....

Chris

If you need an XQD and the FTZ, the new kits work out to be about the same price. This thing is really tempting and I only know of one  sure fire way to deal with temptation ?

3 hours ago, Thomas Hill said:

If you need an XQD and the FTZ, the new kits work out to be about the same price. This thing is really tempting and I only know of one  sure fire way to deal with temptation ?

The kit with a 32gb XQD and the FTZ is $600 more. A 64gb XQD is $130 and FTZ's are selling for less than $200 from people breaking up kits. I'm only looking B&H and used prices on Fred Miranda, not sure what anyone else is offering. There are other benefits to buying new if you want the full warranty and such, so I'm not ignoring that. Either way, what you get with the Z6 kits is a killer deal. Add $1000 for a Ninja V and a SSD and you have one hell of a photo/video combo that will be more of a use when the raw update is live.

Chris

50 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

The kit with a 32gb XQD and the FTZ is $600 more. A 64gb XQD is $130 and FTZ's are selling for less than $200 from people breaking up kits. I'm only looking B&H and used prices on Fred Miranda, not sure what anyone else is offering. There are other benefits to buying new if you want the full warranty and such, so I'm not ignoring that. Either way, what you get with the Z6 kits is a killer deal. Add $1000 for a Ninja V and a SSD and you have one hell of a photo/video combo that will be more of a use when the raw update is live.

Chris

This is the kit I would like but I don't care about the case or cpl https://www.focuscamera.com/nikon-z6-mirrorless-camera-with-50mm-f-1-8-lens-and-ftz-mount-adapter-bundle.html 

I added the refurbished camera and refurbished FTZ plus new 50mm, 120gb XQD and new Nikon battery to my B&H cart. Total $2334

So that's a difference of about $285. And a person could save another $50 because B&H has a used one for $1299. I think I would go with the refurbished. 

But my propensity for giving into temptation is at war with my curiosity about the Sigma FP and what Sony is going to announce at the end of the month. It's like when you get on Netflix and there are too many choices except, in this case, the potentially better choices are theoretical and in the future.

Nice review of the Z6, S1, A7III and EOS-R

Here's some great Z6 footage.  

Classic case were AF follow focus through the touch screen beats manual focus. (Beats as in much easy and you can just get the shot and worry about the shot). 

This footage compares to the P4K and C200 in my eyes.  Looks rich and deep data rate coverage. 

17 hours ago, Thomas Hill said:

This is the kit I would like but I don't care about the case or cpl https://www.focuscamera.com/nikon-z6-mirrorless-camera-with-50mm-f-1-8-lens-and-ftz-mount-adapter-bundle.html 

I added the refurbished camera and refurbished FTZ plus new 50mm, 120gb XQD and new Nikon battery to my B&H cart. Total $2334

So that's a difference of about $285. And a person could save another $50 because B&H has a used one for $1299. I think I would go with the refurbished. 

But my propensity for giving into temptation is at war with my curiosity about the Sigma FP and what Sony is going to announce at the end of the month. It's like when you get on Netflix and there are too many choices except, in this case, the potentially better choices are theoretical and in the future.

Agreed. I'm in a holding pattern until the fall announcements are live and Z6 raw is vetted. The Z6 and S1 are both really interesting, each has shortcomings that won't pull me from the a7III... yet. The Fp is the wildcard. My next camera will be 10-bit and have great AF, 4k60p is almost a must for me to upgrade/switch as well. I'm fully expecting to be letdown by Sony's next cameras - like 10-bit external only or something like that, but a new sensor and AF that grabs headlines and wow's the shill-bloggers.

Chris

Seems like the S1 is a pretty darn good choice still, and I am sure the S1H will really take the cake. That said the Z6 will likely be my first full frame camera. The prices on it are just insanely low used. Like any other camera if you get decent exposure and nail white balance your stuff will look good.

On 8/5/2019 at 9:19 AM, Trek of Joy said:

Do you have a Gfilm profile for the Z? I still use that from time to time.

Chris

Really just using Wolfcrow's Cine 1 setting and just grading that. Files are flexible enough that as long as I protect highlights I can bring up the shadows while editing.

FLAT is already a pretty great setting.

Andrew's Log profile gives you DR but sacrifices to much color for my taste. 

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

Really just using Wolfcrow's Cine 1 setting and just grading that. Files are flexible enough that as long as I protect highlights I can bring up the shadows while editing.

FLAT is already a pretty great setting.

Andrew's Log profile gives you DR but sacrifices to much color for my taste. 

I believe all attempts at [pseudo] log at 8 bit sacrifice too much color..

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Alt Shoo said:

The Z6 is looking even more tempting! I can’t remember if it has a crop when shooting 4k Full Frame. If it does that sorta defeats the purpose of grabbing a full frame camera. Anyways this looks impressive!

It does not have a crop most of the time. Has a small 1.1 crop when shooting N-Log.

From a recent creative shoot, frame grab from 1080p 60 fps

henna at night.jpg