Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, Geoff_L said:

Noooo, please, I will need for September/October a camera that can :

- be used as a landscape/documentary still machine

- film real-time northern lights

- survive rain/cold/snow

- offer killer IBIS to help with wildlife video recording and replace or get close to replace a Gorilla pod for "on the go" filming

- Record on easy to handle media as back-up on field will be an issue

- treat my blisters

- dry me when I am wet

-  heat me when I am cold (Sony, I see you !)

Lets cross over to Harry Callahan for his thoughts on this one.

clint-dead-pool-fortune.gif.b0f4e401bb1313aafa4924546895d1db.gif

8 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Judging by the discounts and cash back incentives on virtually all of the brands, I don't think any of them are having a particularly bumper time sales wise.

The problem for Nikon is that the L mount is building momentum through the upgrade of the S1, the announcement of the FP, the availability of the new Sigma lenses, the release of the S1H, the upcoming Sigma FF Foveon announcement and I suspect the new Leica SL isn't far off being announced now either.

None of that makes the Z6 a bad camera of course but Nikon need to wrestle some of that momentum back and a statement on when the upgrade is actually going to happen would be a start.

There's probably never been a better time NOT to buy a full frame camera though as within a few months Sony might be along with something that could blow everything out of the water, the Sigma FP might just be the full frame version of the original Pocket Cinema camera or the S1H might tick every box of being a full frame GH5s, or... if none of those things come to pass then the deflating prices of the S1 and Z6 etc will have no doubt continued anyway and they will become fantastic bargains, particularly used.

What about the non Z glass from Nikon? It works flawlessly with the Z adaptor and Sony E glass now works with the Z.

• Super Members
39 minutes ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

wait, what, why? I've been using EF glass mostly for video for the past three years 

You and every c100, c300, 5D, Blackmagic operator out there. Clearly you/me are doing something wrong since we manage to get good results ;)

• Super Members
5 hours ago, Skip77 said:

What about the non Z glass from Nikon? It works flawlessly with the Z adaptor and Sony E glass now works with the Z.

To be fair, I specifically said native lenses in the original post and also referenced the TechArt adapter.

I have one or two of those non Z glass Nikon lenses myself.

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but none of them are great when using video. That is even the problem with EF Lenses. Great for Photos, sucks ass for video. The EF-S lenses are better for video.

I've seen great results. What's the sucks ass part.............please explain.

Fly by wire with no manual control, just like a lot of others. Only Olympus and Panasonic have the manual clutch thing. And now Nikon, and Canon have the ring on their Z and R lenses so that is a plus for video. You can't do shit with the older fly by wire lenses. No way to repeat anything, No precision. But all those EF lenses are from a different Era where video was a total afterthought.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Good and great is a Big difference.

Yes, good and "suck ass" is also a big difference.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Fly by wire with no manual control, just like a lot of others. Only Olympus and Panasonic have the manual clutch thing. 

Ehhh... No... It's older CaNikon lenses that does NOT have focus by wire. Oly and Pana almost exclusively use focus by wire.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Focus by wire doesn't have to suck, if only they got the programming right. EF lenses don't have hard stops either. The mechanical feel is very good in the clutch-mode Olympus lenses.

Can't we use Fujinon MK18-55mm T2.9 Lens (Sony E Mount) lens on the Z6 with the E mount  adaptor?

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

In crop mode yeah.

A lot of money to spend just to get mechanical focus.

Do you know that older lenses do exist, right?! :)

This was meant for the wire comments and to show cine lens on the Z.  

Why do we have to use crop mode for the Fujinon MK18-55mm T2.9 Lens?

12 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

Well then FF cine lens with E mount then. Wire crappy thing solved. 

Yeah that can work, but they are cheap for what they are,  really they are, But it is still over 3000 Dollars. A Nice lens for sure. I have seen it used for 1450 Dollars. I just missed buying it by a few minutes about 4 months ago. A dream lens on a Sony A7s mk II. It is a Pretty Big lens though diameter wise. Front heavy would be an understatement. I used one on my A7s for a bit. A small bit at a rental house. ?

https://www.reviewed.com/lenses/content/sony-28-135mm-f4-g-cinema-lens-first-impressions-review

• 2 weeks later...