Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

On 6/20/2019 at 5:05 PM, Evgeniy said:

Does anybody know what's the default sharpness setting on Z6? I've seen a bunch of tests on youtube where the footage seems to be artificially sharpened, especially in 1080p. I assume that it can be dialed down.

Default Sharpness on Nikon is very high and needs to be turned down out of the box for video. 

One thing that no one has mentioned is the Mid-range sharpening setting on the Z series. Turning it down a little bit softens skin and an create a more creamy look. 

I tested the camera before the upgrade and it fell short of my D750 for AF, the new firmware brings it on par with that camera. Good enough for me! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, heart0less said:

How is this FTZ adapter doing, Geoff? 

Is the lack of many native lenses somehow compensated by it? 

Well my 24-70 2.8G and old Nikon 70-200 2.8G both Autofocus well on my cam. Smoother focus transitions and follow better than the NX1 but not quite on par with the Sony A7III. I'm sure that the native lenses are better. AF motors on these a bit loud however, need to be used with an external mic.

It's a dream to shoot my Voigtlanders on it, so clean. Video to come.

On 5/23/2019 at 2:14 AM, Geoff_L said:

For those interested to buy it in Europe.

Today, in a German store, with sales and rebates : z6 + 24-70 + ftz = 2169€

https://www.foto-erhardt.de/kameras/vollformat-kameras/nikon-z6-plus-24-70mm-plus-ftz-objektivadapter-kit.html

(Do not evoke the falling prices...Do not evoke the falling prices...).

Used prices will dive a little more ! My hyperbola talking about "half the price" was in fact a prophecy ?

No that's still not half the price and you've provided no links that show used Z6 or Z7 prices at "half the price" of original retail.  Keep that sky falling though no one is listening. 

On 6/20/2019 at 5:12 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Fuck, this camera is a glorious failure.

It only hurts for me and other early adopters. The rest of you are going to get a bargain!!

How is this a glorious failure? The quality is above the other full frame cameras and they've kept the promise of firmware updates for Eye-AF. 

12 bit RAW is coming and Sony E-mount was just released. Price adjustment is not a failure.  The market for cameras above 2K does not push that many cameras for any brand. 

Nikon Z6 sales are also going up while Sony's is going down. Sony also just lost market share to Canon and Nikon for full frame mirrorless. 

And last thought - Show me where to get the P4K and rig it up and I will buy one asap.

The S1 is a bigger glorious failure then the Z6 if you count sales on, right?

1 hour ago, Skip77 said:

No that's still not half the price and you've provided no links that show used Z6 or Z7 prices at "half the price" of original retail.  Keep that sky falling though no one is listening. 

How is this a glorious failure? The quality is above the other full frame cameras and they've kept the promise of firmware updates for Eye-AF. 

12 bit RAW is coming and Sony E-mount was just released. Price adjustment is not a failure.  The market for cameras above 2K does not push that many cameras for any brand. 

Nikon Z6 sales are also going up while Sony's is going down. Sony also just lost market share to Canon and Nikon for full frame mirrorless. 

And last thought - Show me where to get the P4K and rig it up and I will buy one asap.

The S1 is a bigger glorious failure then the Z6 if you count sales on, right?

Man, you are helpless. I thought you were out since many days in order to offer yourself a well needed cure.... too bad....

And that is a pity you still don't get my hyperbola, as you seem to like them :

Do you have a link that shows the technical reality of the "x24734 crop" of the eosr you talked about ?

See, that is easy to play the dumb game instead of arguing, right ?

24 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

Man, you are helpless. I thought you were out since many days in order to offer yourself a well needed cure.... too bad....

And that is a pity you still don't get my hyperbola, as you seem to like them :

Do you have a link that shows the technical reality of the "x24734 crop" of the eosr you talked about ?

See, that is easy to play the dumb game instead of arguing, right ?

My comment was Joe and your comment was not and was followed by a "glorious fail" comment by Andrew.  You seem to get your kicks off by taking personal shots at me.  What's the point? except that you're a mean spirited guy if someone calls you out. 

Glad you're keeping still image of my post since you like me so much. Go stalk someone else tough guy.

13 hours ago, Skip77 said:

My comment was Joe and your comment was not and was followed by a "glorious fail" comment by Andrew.  You seem to get your kicks off by taking personal shots at me.  What's the point? except that you're a mean spirited guy if someone calls you out. 

Glad you're keeping still image of my post since you like me so much. Go stalk someone else tough guy.

Aaaaaahh it was Joe, sorry... "lol".

You jump on everybody here when someone dare to question something concerning the z6, and with a pathetic, disturbing way. You should browse your past interactions with others here, on many forum posts, maybe it will give you a hint on your problem.... I've got a mean spirit with strange internet paladins like you, that read nothing of others, except what you want to read in it, and attack blindly to defend... I don't even know what ahah.

I was browsing the entire post concerning the pana, by interest for the subject (yes I love pana... maybe you will interpret that as an attack toward the z6?), and I came across one of your glorious arguing...See, the problem of living smelling tracks everywhere...

Anyway, you were on my block list for a while, so I normally can't read you, but this time I was browsing and loggued off... My bad, won't happen again !

6 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Aaaaaahh it was Joe, sorry... "lol".

You jump on everybody here when someone dare to question something concerning the z6, and with a pathetic, disturbing way. You should browse your past interactions with others here, on many forum posts, maybe it will give you a hint on your problem.... I've got a mean spirit with strange internet paladins like you, that read nothing of others, except what you want to read in it, and attack blindly to defend... I don't even know what ahah.

I was browsing the entire post concerning the pana, by interest for the subject (yes I love pana... maybe you will interpret that as an attack toward the z6?), and I came across one of your glorious arguing...See, the problem of living smelling tracks everywhere...

Anyway, you were on my block list for a while, so I normally can't read you, but this time I was browsing and loggued off... My bad, won't happen again !

You had issues with me telling you to stop saying the "sky is falling" with the Z6 and that prices weren't dropping like you say they are.

Fast forward a month or so and you're still making comments about the Z6 and that you can now get it for half the original price. You also keep making personal attacks toward me for calling your stupid obsession with the Z6 prices that don't exist. 

You have some bent anger towards any Z6 owner because you had to sell your gear. get over it, the prices don't match what you claim.

23 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

One thing I do not like about my Z6, the viewfinder's black level is way off. Things that are visible in the viewfinder in shadows that should not be as visible as they are. 

Could it be related to the brightness of the evf ? I remember at first I struggled with the settings. One thing I am sure, is this evf bring daylight when it is dark ; that was truly useful !

1 minute ago, Geoff_L said:

Could it be related to the brightness of the evf ? I remember at first I struggled with the settings. One thing I am sure, is this evf bring daylight when it is dark ; that was truly useful !

Even at minimum brightness the contrast is too low for me and it seems a little washed out. Rear screen is much more accurate.

Yes, I mostly used the rear lcd and rarely the evf. But now I am thinking about, I remember having noticed a difference of colors between both, especially during sunsets in the mountains, and with snowy landscapes (the snow felt different while switching from the evf for photo, and the rear lcd for video). Maybe it was the same as you, but I interpreted low contrast as a changing in colors...

DEAL ALERT !!

If you live in Switzerland or near the boundary : Interdiscount website

The Z6 + 24-70 f4s at 1782€ (today exchange rate) in a reputable store, til the end of the week !

The same price as the Fuji X-T3 + 18-55, woah, crazy ! In 6 months, we will be able to buy one and enter the EOSHD cheap camera challenge ?

Thinking about it, when the ProresRaw update will be available, it will be a damn awesome deal !!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I want to see Nikon add internal RAW! 

It's definitely 100% capable of it.

If a 2019 Canon 50D can be HACKED into doing raw video to old compact flash cards, Nikon has zero excuses on a 4K 2019 camera with XQD!

All cameras video comes off the sensor as raw data... In this case 6K full pixel readout raw data.

6K RAW to XQD card is not beyond this camera, and neither is 4K or 1080p raw.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's definitely 100% capable of it.

If a 2019 Canon 50D can be HACKED into doing raw video to old compact flash cards, Nikon has zero excuses on a 4K 2019 camera with XQD!

All cameras video comes off the sensor as raw data... In this case 6K full pixel readout raw data.

6K RAW to XQD card is not beyond this camera, and neither is 4K or 1080p raw.

Seems like it would be a smart move, what do they have to lose. What do I know tho

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I want to see Nikon add internal RAW! 

That would be fantastic. The main thing that has kept me from trying it out is the XQD card. I know most places are including a free one right now but a 120gb one is $200 and the internal capabilities of the camera are still beneath those of the X-T3. Where's the benefit of the XQD?