Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

18 minutes ago, Mars said:

Well, regardless of what the general opinion on the internet is - I'm quite satisfied with my Z6 and the new firmware is cool too. Yes, since I've got mine already in Nov and so it's rather an early one, I need to send it in. But at least Nikon is doing something, they seem to have learnt from the D600 desaster. Regarding the current eBay value, I wouldn't care too much about it. Unless you're not interested in the camera any more.

I for my part am still using my two NX1s as well, so can easily bridge the time until I get the Z6 back. In particular its viewfinder is much better than the older NX1 plus the new 14-30/4 is really great. Just my 2c.

Yes I agree. Truly a great camera, and I maintain all the good and long things I wrote about it some months ago. I'm just sad and annoyed to have to get rid of it because of $$ reasons...

The 24-70 f4 alone is a sufficient reason to jump on the ship. Well, being soon camera less, I will have lots of great choices when I will have enough money again to find a new camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Why are you so harsh with everybody questionning Nikon here ? Seriously,  do something... some weeks ago, you were liking my post and we were both "defending" the z6 by arguing with others here.

Why are you always answering like we had insulted your family ?!

And why bringing on Sony ? Man, your 2 sides vision of the camera world "good nikon / bad sony" and your constant attacks are really disturbing.. go treat yourself seriously.

Hes insecure about his purchase

20 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Why are you so harsh with everybody questionning Nikon here ? Seriously,  do something... some weeks ago, you were liking my post and we were both "defending" the z6 by arguing with others here.

Why are you always answering like we had insulted your family ?!

And why bringing on Sony ? Man, your 2 sides vision of the camera world "good nikon / bad sony" and your constant attacks are really disturbing.. go treat yourself seriously.

For the record, I had Nikon D90, D600/D610,D5200, D7200, and Z6.

You wanna compare ? Oh, and I can add my girlfriend's D750 and apsc bodies...

Wanna talk about the d600 plague ? Nah ? Because mine got concerned. Wanna talk about D750 ? Nah ? Our got recall 2 times. It may be one of the most recalled camera I think, and for really bad reason... Wanna talk about the D800 ?

Stop acting like Nikon were totally white, perfect and opposed as everything else.

I can sell you my D600 if you want. Perfect for a filmic look with lots of BIG grains everywhere ! And cost less than a point and shoot now. Or take my Z6 ? It is alsmot brand new and has lost 50% of its value.

Just stick to the fact, it will maybe elevate you a little.

Go browse this post to read my extremly positive feeling and hands on the Z6. Because this is still true and relevant. And it will help you understand that I am not the dark force of Sony... crap, it may even be the second time I write "Sony" on this forum... why the hell did you bring that ?

Aaah your behavior is as annoying and painful to bear as the last season of Games of Thrones.  YIKES.

Nothing personal to you and my comment to your post.  I don't take comments personal if people don't agree with me. 

My comment was for calling it a recall when its a "service advisory" were they are fixing the issue. I'm sorry you have to sell the camera but as the v2.0 firmware is out and what it addressed makes the Z6 and Z7 much better in the AF department not just Eye AF. 

I mentioned Sony because I have the A6500 and had overhearing issues since day one. And if Sony haters attacked Sony for this issues sales would plummet. See how it's not mentioned about Sony and our heating? If it was Nikon what would people say? 

Most people on here haven't used the Z6 or Z7 but have very strong opinions. 

I've looked up Z6 prices and don't see the fallen prices that you seem panicked about.

10 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Hes insecure about his purchase

When have I ever mentioned buyers remorse ? Geoff_L is the one freaking out. 

I got a good deal on my Z6 and love the camera. 

13 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Yes I agree. Truly a great camera, and I maintain all the good and long things I wrote about it some months ago. I'm just sad and annoyed to have to get rid of it because of $$ reasons...

The 24-70 f4 alone is a sufficient reason to jump on the ship. Well, being soon camera less, I will have lots of great choices when I will have enough money again to find a new camera.

How does the 24-70 f4 compare to the 50 f1.8 S in quality? I used the 24-70 f4 for a few testing days before fitting the Z6 / 50 f1.8.

13 hours ago, Mars said:

Well, regardless of what the general opinion on the internet is - I'm quite satisfied with my Z6 and the new firmware is cool too. Yes, since I've got mine already in Nov and so it's rather an early one, I need to send it in. But at least Nikon is doing something, they seem to have learnt from the D600 desaster. Regarding the current eBay value, I wouldn't care too much about it. Unless you're not interested in the camera any more.

I for my part am still using my two NX1s as well, so can easily bridge the time until I get the Z6 back. In particular its viewfinder is much better than the older NX1 plus the new 14-30/4 is really great. Just my 2c.

What was the "D600 desaster"?   and did you have any VR issues? I haven't heard any VR issues on the internet except when people were running VR and IBIS at the sea-time. I wonder if the VR issues conflicted with the v2.0 update.

3 hours ago, Skip77 said:

When have I ever mentioned buyers remorse ? Geoff_L is the one freaking out.  

You should try to understand more what people write, and wait a minute or two before answering. Or maybe I was not clear. But, anyway...
Look, allow me to auto quote myself :

17 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

I loved the camera, period. I have just reacted to the link talking about the potential issue (what Nikon and you name "service advisory").
The fact that you don't know about the d600 disaster tells a lot about your lack of knowledge concerning Nikon recent history tinted of fails (and greatness like the D850)

If you had possessed a born dead D600, a  3 times recalled (yes you read it : 3 f*cking recalls !!!!!) D750, you would understand. So, I do not freak out, it's just a natural reaction to Nikon's poor launching of cameras.

Plus, as I wrote above, I checked on Nikon's website and my unit is not concerns. There is a website for us customers, in order to check if you have to send your potential defective camera. So I used it, and it is OK for me, period. Then, because I know Nikon and am equipped with their cameras since a long time, I just question if this kind of "service advisory" could impact sales and resale value.

I would keep it if I could. But I am an amateur, and having car troubles , I face difficulties to transport myself to my joyful 9to5. As I wouldn't want to handicap myself in the rat-race (irony of course), I have to sell something to help to pay the cost.

Anyway, enjoy your z6 (and don't forget to check for service advisory ? ) !

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Nikon is a Dumpster Fire as of late. Sinking ship. Canon is doing the same dumb shit. Down the road there will be no Canon or Nikon. They both have their head stuck up their ass. China will stick Japan's head on a Pike.

Difficult to predict. But I wouldn't write them off too early. CaNikon have very strong brands and for certain purposes the lens/camera product lines are hard to beat currently. I've sold my D4 as the D810 is more than enough for my portrait work but can't imagine for instance that Bundesliga photogs would change their habits and switch to some Chinese mirrorless plastic toy... Not so fast at least.

By the way,  recently there was a rather provoking article on a highly frequented news page (Spiegel) with the title 'True photographers use Nikon cameras' (not Leica), in my opinion kind of showing the strength of the Nikon (and Canon) brands. Sorry for the German link:

https://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/leica-werbefilm-in-china-echte-fotografen-benutzten-nikon-kameras-a-1264584.html

?

22 hours ago, Mars said:

Regarding the current eBay value, I wouldn't care too much about it. Unless you're not interested in the camera any more.

The Z6 certainly has not dropped over half in price on eBay, otherwise I'd be considering buying a Z6 myself now!

18 hours ago, Nikkor said:

I hope they Release a z6 mkii soon so I can pick up a z6 for cheap.

Same. 

Actually I'm really really hoping for an even cheaper "Z60" which keeps the bits I like about the Z6

4 hours ago, Mars said:

Difficult to predict. But I wouldn't write them off too early. CaNikon have very strong brands and for certain purposes the lens/camera product lines are hard to beat currently. I've sold my D4 as the D810 is more than enough for my portrait work but can't imagine for instance that Bundesliga photogs would change their habits and switch to some Chinese mirrorless plastic toy... Not so fast at least.

By the way,  recently there was a rather provoking article on a highly frequented news page (Spiegel) with the title 'True photographers use Nikon cameras' (not Leica), in my opinion kind of showing the strength of the Nikon (and Canon) brands. Sorry for the German link:

https://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/leica-werbefilm-in-china-echte-fotografen-benutzten-nikon-kameras-a-1264584.html

?

There was a Tony Northrup video about how many sales Nikon has lost this year, and that they are going to scale back on cameras and put more money into other things they produce. And you have Canon dropping 50% on DSLR sales and that does not bode too well for either of them. I think Canon is so far behind on sensors and processors that they will never catch up now. I don't think cameras down the road are going to be great for Any company to be honest.

The Nikon news is at the beginning, rest is photo reviews of peoples photos.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

There was a Tony Northrup video about how many sales Nikon has lost this year, and that they are going to scale back on cameras and put more money into other things they produce. And you have Canon dropping 50% on DSLR sales and that does not bode too well for either of them. I think Canon is so far behind on sensors and processors that they will never catch up now. I don't think cameras down the road are going to be great for Any company to be honest.

The Nikon news is at the beginning, rest is photo reviews of peoples photos.

Do you really listen to Tony and his wife? Nikon sales have rebounded after the drop and why listen to people paid by Sony? 

11 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

You should try to understand more what people write, and wait a minute or two before answering. Or maybe I was not clear. But, anyway...
Look, allow me to auto quote myself :

I loved the camera, period. I have just reacted to the link talking about the potential issue (what Nikon and you name "service advisory").
The fact that you don't know about the d600 disaster tells a lot about your lack of knowledge concerning Nikon recent history tinted of fails (and greatness like the D850)

If you had possessed a born dead D600, a  3 times recalled (yes you read it : 3 f*cking recalls !!!!!) D750, you would understand. So, I do not freak out, it's just a natural reaction to Nikon's poor launching of cameras.

Plus, as I wrote above, I checked on Nikon's website and my unit is not concerns. There is a website for us customers, in order to check if you have to send your potential defective camera. So I used it, and it is OK for me, period. Then, because I know Nikon and am equipped with their cameras since a long time, I just question if this kind of "service advisory" could impact sales and resale value.

I would keep it if I could. But I am an amateur, and having car troubles , I face difficulties to transport myself to my joyful 9to5. As I wouldn't want to handicap myself in the rat-race (irony of course), I have to sell something to help to pay the cost.

Anyway, enjoy your z6 (and don't forget to check for service advisory ? ) !

My cameras not affected. Good luck!

20 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The Z6 certainly has not dropped over half in price on eBay, otherwise I'd be considering buying a Z6 myself now! 

Yes, sorry, I was bit exaggerating with "half".

But here are some numbers (roughly) : the brand new kit z6 + ftz + 24-70 was somewhere between 2800/3000€ , depending on the shop, at the beginning of December. 5 months later, you can find it used, in "like new" condition, for below 2000€ (but mostly around 2000/2100€). Plus, there is right now rebates that pull down those prices. I find it to be quite a quick fall.
If I remember well, Andrew wrote in an article that he got troubles selling its Z7, even by cutting a lot the price.

Anyway, it is really good for buyers ? !

3 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Yes, sorry, I was bit exaggerating with "half".

But here are some numbers (roughly) : the brand new kit z6 + ftz + 24-70 was somewhere between 2800/3000€ , depending on the shop, at the beginning of December. 5 months later, you can find it used, in "like new" condition, for below 2000€ (but mostly around 2000/2100€). Plus, there is right now rebates that pull down those prices. I find it to be quite a quick fall.
If I remember well, Andrew wrote in an article that he got troubles selling its Z7, even by cutting a lot the price.

Anyway, it is really good for buyers ? !

Post link to these great "like new" sales on the Z series.  What's the price of the GH5 right now or EOS-R? You basically are saying the same-thing that you said sorry for.

1 hour ago, Skip77 said:

Post link to these great "like new" sales on the Z series.  What's the price of the GH5 right now or EOS-R? You basically are saying the same-thing that you said sorry for.

At first I thought  "Oh please, someone help me...". Then, I was laughing. Seriously, this is my last answer to you.

Here are two links. Sorry, I won't browse every selling places. I'm a also in 2 facebook Nikon selling group. What I said is what I see on a daily basis on many selling places, as I'm trying to sell mine since 2 weeks.

The first one is on a famous French forum : https://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/AchatsVentes/Photo-Audio-Video/nikon-nissin-di700a-sujet_721010_1.htm

Z6 + 24-70S + XQD 64gb + a second original battery, bought on the 5th of January. The guy sold it 2070€ two weeks ago  (in its ad, he initially proposed 2150€ with a flash NISSIN DI700A). The body is in perfect condition with only 789 clicks. You can google translate it. Yes, the FTZ is not present, but as it now sells almost for free in kit...

On amazon.fr, the Z6 + FTZ was, some days ago, less expensive (slightly) than the Z6 BODY ONLY. Now, there is only a 50€ difference between both (in favor of the body only).

Another one : https://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/1614925861.htm/

Z6 + 24-70 + XQD 64gb. Never opened. 2000€

Do I ask you why you, again, bring on the table both the GH5 and the EOS-R ? No, I won't, have enough lost my time.

Enjoy your Z6 but, do yourself a favor : take gear and brand less seriously...

I'm in NYC right now and considering picking up a Z7 as I need a high MP stills camera (and still have a bit of Nikkor glass). I saw one the other day for $2K !

This recall BS is kinda giving me second thoughts though. My D750 got recalled twice and I swore never again..

you guys think Z7 is ok for video?  4K has line skipping right?

2 hours ago, Django said:

I'm in NYC right now and considering picking up a Z7 as I need a high MP stills camera (and still have a bit of Nikkor glass). I saw one the other day for $2K !

This recall BS is kinda giving me second thoughts though. My D750 got recalled twice and I swore never again..

you guys think Z7 is ok for video?  4K has line skipping right?

The Z6 is better for video then the Z7 because of no crop on the Z6 and sensor read out. Don't worry about the recall because Nikon is fixing a issue that NO ONE has complained about or even noticed. Nikon has class and Sony and other blame user error or don't even address camera issues. I could create a list but you guys know who's who. One example is the GH5 poor ass AF never got fixed. 

3 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

At first I thought  "Oh please, someone help me...". Then, I was laughing. Seriously, this is my last answer to you.

Here are two links. Sorry, I won't browse every selling places. I'm a also in 2 facebook Nikon selling group. What I said is what I see on a daily basis on many selling places, as I'm trying to sell mine since 2 weeks.

The first one is on a famous French forum : https://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/AchatsVentes/Photo-Audio-Video/nikon-nissin-di700a-sujet_721010_1.htm

Z6 + 24-70S + XQD 64gb + a second original battery, bought on the 5th of January. The guy sold it 2070€ two weeks ago  (in its ad, he initially proposed 2150€ with a flash NISSIN DI700A). The body is in perfect condition with only 789 clicks. You can google translate it. Yes, the FTZ is not present, but as it now sells almost for free in kit...

On amazon.fr, the Z6 + FTZ was, some days ago, less expensive (slightly) than the Z6 BODY ONLY. Now, there is only a 50€ difference between both (in favor of the body only).

Another one : https://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/1614925861.htm/

Z6 + 24-70 + XQD 64gb. Never opened. 2000€

Do I ask you why you, again, bring on the table both the GH5 and the EOS-R ? No, I won't, have enough lost my time.

Enjoy your Z6 but, do yourself a favor : take gear and brand less seriously...

I can't and we can't translate those prices and again the sky is falling and you keep apologizing and then posting the same sorrow. I'm sorry you have to sale your gear but you've jumped into the "I hate Nikon" group for the odd reason that you can't sell your gear. Selling used gear is not for everyone and I actually bought my Z6 used with 50 f1.8 for 2K two months ago. The seller needed the money and made me a great offer. 

The A9 is $1,200 off it'e retail price and the Gh5 has dropped how much? And yes Nikon has made some bad choices and they have to deal with long tongue liars making false claims about a camera they never used or just to hurt the Nikon brand. 

Ebay listings - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xnikon+z6.TRS0&_nkw=nikon+z6&_sacat=0

The Z6 is holding it's new price and does not reflect your comments. 

7 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Silly Rabbit.

Do some research on the Z6 film makers kit. 

I'll see you in the Shooting RAW forum when the Z6 update comes out. We'll let you in even though your GH5 will never be discussed on those pages. Lol.

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Nikon will be out of business before Raw happens.

No they won't.  Canon and Nikon own the market right now.  "In DSLRs, Canon was 1st with a 57.4% market share. Nikon and Ricoh (which makes Pentax DSLRs) came in 2nd and 3rd with 39.3% and 3.1%, respectively.Canon and Nikon together command a staggering 96.7% of Japanese DSLR sales — a duopoly."

The market right now is Canon, Nikon and Sony. Besides your ass where are you getting your info?

I suspect you've worked on some cool projects and know your shit but you don't know the hybrid market and get all you info from You Tube.  

People are holding onto the gear they bought and getting by until the next jump in tech comes out. Video is what pushed people into mirrorless and new gear. S1 and Z6, Z7 are the only cameras that will do 10 bit and 12 bit RAW in full frame. Until Sony catches up people are waiting. 

Nikon's not going anywhere. If you think Nikon was counting on Z'series body sales to keep the company alive you are really out of touch.