Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

6 hours ago, Django said:

BRAW is open source, there is already a plug-in for native windows Premiere support: https://autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio/index.html

I gave Z6 a try yesterday, lovely ergonomics. But I didn't figure out an easy way to switch from AF-S to AF-C (miss the AF switch/button from Nikon DSLRs)?

More troublesome, without exposure meter in video, how are people shooting? just winging exposure from LCD view?!

Seems like an external monitor with exposure tools is a must, but then you got the HDMI lag... Nikon really needs to fix both those issues ASAP.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Bottom front button is AF default selector .... you can rotate through the choices ... and the i Menu is direct to AF and FX/DX selection ... it remembers your last choice

as the highlighted select choice. The menu is configurable in stills and in video mode for your most frequently used settings and frame rates and profiles.

AF in video is best as AF-F wide area ... 

LCD view gives a great approximation of the exposure ... once you get used to it you will not need a meter for 95% of situations. There is a live histogram in one of the

display modes  ... in the five percent difficult backlight situations just flip to stills mode ... center weight meter and set your manual exposure ... shutter and aperture ... then back to video mode ... round trip is 5 to 10 seconds max.

But an external recorder with waveforms is still best ... it gives realtime magnified view and you can use false color zebras and peaking if desired.

Most of these cameras have peculiarities that seem difficult at first but after one or two days they no longer present much of a problem.

7 hours ago, Django said:

BRAW is open source, there is already a plug-in for native windows Premiere support: https://autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio/index.html

I gave Z6 a try yesterday, lovely ergonomics. But I didn't figure out an easy way to switch from AF-S to AF-C (miss the AF switch/button from Nikon DSLRs)?

More troublesome, without exposure meter in video, how are people shooting? just winging exposure from LCD view?!

Seems like an external monitor with exposure tools is a must, but then you got the HDMI lag... Nikon really needs to fix both those issues ASAP.

You have that little "I" button that brings up short cuts on the display screen. And can't you assign AF-s and AF-C to the two buttons in front by the lens ring?

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Resolve and bRaw are totally free, and bRaw is a open Codec that is FREE for anyone to use in their cameras and anyone's NLE. That is a Hell of a lot different than Forcing you to Only use a Apple, and FCP, a Apple product, and Having to pay a license to Apple to even have it in your camera, or NLE, and having to pay Apple for FCP, no free version.

See how many F ing times you have to Pay Apple. You don't have to pay BMD anything unless you want the full version of Resolve, and even then it is for life it seems, and only 299 bucks. And they didn't charge a dime when they introduced the bRaw upgrade. Even Panasonic wants to rip your ass for V Log, Sony is good at it also.

I don't see how anyone can be Anti BMD. They have done more for the average guy to make stuff affordable than the rest of them combined.

Why should I have to learn a new editing program so I can use bRAW? Why? Isn't that doing what BM wants and not what you want?

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Resolve and bRaw are totally free, and bRaw is a open Codec that is FREE for anyone to use in their cameras and anyone's NLE. That is a Hell of a lot different than Forcing you to Only use a Apple, and FCP, a Apple product, and Having to pay a license to Apple to even have it in your camera, or NLE, and having to pay Apple for FCP, no free version.

See how many F ing times you have to Pay Apple. You don't have to pay BMD anything unless you want the full version of Resolve, and even then it is for life it seems, and only 299 bucks. And they didn't charge a dime when they introduced the bRaw upgrade. Even Panasonic wants to rip your ass for V Log, Sony is good at it also.

I don't see how anyone can be Anti BMD. They have done more for the average guy to make stuff affordable than the rest of them combined.

No ones forcing you to use Apple products or use Resolve. They are both doing the same-thing. If you are serious about editing and film making either one will. get the job done. Resolve is lacking in a lot of ways so much so that they've started copying FCPX.  Apple will open Pro Res RAW up to other editing systems in time. Calm down and keep your cool.

4 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Why should I have to learn a new editing program so I can use bRAW? Why? Isn't that doing what BM wants and not what you want?

No ones forcing you to use Apple products or use Resolve. They are both doing the same-thing. If you are serious about editing and film making either one will. get the job done. Resolve is lacking in a lot of ways so much so that they've started copying FCPX.  Apple will open Pro Res RAW up to other editing systems in time. Calm down and keep your cool.

Oh I can see why a person won't change NLEs. Editing, grading is hard enough let alone learning a new one. But I think Resolve is going to be the #1 NLE sooner than later. I am not too sure Resolve will ever have ProRes Raw. Grant Petty I believe sort of hates it and Apple. No surprise.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Oh I can see why a person won't change NLEs. Editing, grading is hard enough let alone learning a new one. But I think Resolve is going to be the #1 NLE sooner than later. I am not too sure Resolve will ever have ProRes Raw. Grant Petty I believe sort of hates it and Apple. No surprise.

What makes you think Resolve will be the #1 NLE choice anytime soon? For production houses sure but average Joe will always default to Premier Pro. Even Sony's NLE probably get's more new users then Resolve.  I do love Resolves color grading tools. 

Resolve is not and has stability issues in the past that everyone complains about. Is BM a software company? No they are not. I don't want Apple or Adobe making cine cameras either.  

5 hours ago, Skip77 said:

but average Joe will always default to Premier Pro.

But for how long? 
Adobe has shifted to the subscription model, and is hiking prices. 

DaVinci Resolve is on the rise, and could well be the one of the future. Perhaps. 

Is BM a software company? No they are not. I don't want Apple or Adobe making cine cameras either.  

BMD is a software *AND* hardware company. 

Just like how Apple is a software AND hardware company. 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

But for how long? 
Adobe has shifted to the subscription model, and is hiking prices. 

DaVinci Resolve is on the rise, and could well be the one of the future. Perhaps. 

BMD is a software *AND* hardware company. 

Just like how Apple is a software AND hardware company. 

A big difference in Apple and BM.  Apple iPhones and iOS are stable and have been forever. BM- resolve is still us stability issues. Even the Ursa mini and cameras are labeled as unreliable for big productions.  Because BM only makes Resolve that makes it very difficult to beat Premier Pro and Adobe. Adobe's subscription model has been around for years now and you get everything from After Effects to Photoshop to Premier and 10 other programs. 

There is ZERO market research that Resolve is headed for the #1 NLE spot or even preferred over Premier and FCP-X.  Like I said for color grading Resolve is great and is used to create LUT's and then editing is finished in FCPX. 

For all the BM P4K owners - what's the cost to purchase and get the P4K up and running? I like the picture it produces and need to see how this might fit into my master plan. 

The Z6 is getting the Eye AF update and I might sell the Z6 if the P4K is available. 

For all the BM P4K owners - what's the cost to purchase and get the P4K up and running? I like the picture it produces and need to see how this might fit into my master plan. 

The Z6 is getting the Eye AF update and I might sell the Z6 if the P4K is available. 

Depends on how picky you are.

My OG pocket is pretty similar and I got a monitor/external battery solution I am happy with for around $250. Subtract $150 if you don't need a monitor. If you are going the SSD route thats more expenses, but if you have sandisk cards lying around you may as well use them.

I really don't see what is the big deal about all the battery concerns on the PK4. Unless you are using it for Documentary stuff, who the hell shoots minutes and minutes, hours and hours at a time? You are allowed to have more than one battery with you. What is it, just going to be spay and pray, with I hope I am getting something worth a crap 2 hours at a time? Oh I am going to miss something. You really think you are going to be exactly where an Asteroid falls to earth, or on the corner of a 30 car pile up, a UFO lands?

What, you are Just going to use one lens, never change filters, walk around until you arms fall off, or your back hurts so bad you have to quit from leaning over the tripod?

13 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I really don't see what is the big deal about all the battery concerns on the PK4. Unless you are using it for Documentary stuff, who the hell shoots minutes and minutes, hours and hours at a time? You are allowed to have more than one battery with you. What is it, just going to be spay and pray, with I hope I am getting something worth a crap 2 hours at a time? Oh I am going to miss something. You really think you are going to be exactly where an Asteroid falls to earth, or on the corner of a 30 car pile up, a UFO lands?

What, you are Just going to use one lens, never change filters, walk around until you arms fall off, or your back hurts so bad you have to quit from leaning over the tripod?

You win the "best post today" award. Great post.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mako Sports said:

I'm currently trying to sell my Z6 for financial reasons. The 24-70 f4S sold in 2days, but the Z6 + FTZ is impossible to sell : large amount of bodies already on the used market, and for really low prices. I just checked and my unit is fortunately not concerns by the recall but, seriously, it will make the resell harder... D600-gate may still be in the memories ? My last time Nikon, really...

On 5/17/2019 at 12:01 AM, Mako Sports said:

It's not a product recall. Do you follow fat Ken or what? 

23 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

I'm currently trying to sell my Z6 for financial reasons. The 24-70 f4S sold in 2days, but the Z6 + FTZ is impossible to sell : large amount of bodies already on the used market, and for really low prices. I just checked and my unit is fortunately not concerns by the recall but, seriously, it will make the resell harder... D600-gate may still be in the memories ? My last time Nikon, really...

Do some research on the service - advisory before making post abut it. If you think the sky is falling then I can't help ya. 

Sony cameras overheat all day long and no recall or service advisory fix. 

The Sony A7III has the same VR jitters as the Z series if you have IBIS and VR n at the same-time, but Sony does nothing about it. 

On 5/16/2019 at 11:11 AM, Castorp said:

There is a sweet new option under custom function d5. The camera can now be set to automatically switch between EFCS and fully mechanical shutter where there is risk of shutter shock. 

How do you set this up?

On 5/16/2019 at 2:34 AM, Jrteh said:

Z6 firmware 2.0

• Improved autofocus performance for photos and movies shot under low light: -3.5 – 19 EV (low light autofocus -6 – 19 EV), measured in photo mode with single-servo AF (AF-S) at ISO 100 and 20°C with an f/2 lens.

@DBounce do you test it ?

The update is a great one.

1 hour ago, Skip77 said:

Do some research on the service - advisory before making post abut it. If you think the sky is falling then I can't help ya. 

Sony cameras overheat all day long and no recall or service advisory fix. 

The Sony A7III has the same VR jitters as the Z series if you have IBIS and VR n at the same-time, but Sony does nothing about it

Why are you so harsh with everybody questionning Nikon here ? Seriously,  do something... some weeks ago, you were liking my post and we were both "defending" the z6 by arguing with others here.

Why are you always answering like we had insulted your family ?!

And why bringing on Sony ? Man, your 2 sides vision of the camera world "good nikon / bad sony" and your constant attacks are really disturbing.. go treat yourself seriously.

For the record, I had Nikon D90, D600/D610,D5200, D7200, and Z6.

You wanna compare ? Oh, and I can add my girlfriend's D750 and apsc bodies...

Wanna talk about the d600 plague ? Nah ? Because mine got concerned. Wanna talk about D750 ? Nah ? Our got recall 2 times. It may be one of the most recalled camera I think, and for really bad reason... Wanna talk about the D800 ?

Stop acting like Nikon were totally white, perfect and opposed as everything else.

I can sell you my D600 if you want. Perfect for a filmic look with lots of BIG grains everywhere ! And cost less than a point and shoot now. Or take my Z6 ? It is alsmot brand new and has lost 50% of its value.

Just stick to the fact, it will maybe elevate you a little.

Go browse this post to read my extremly positive feeling and hands on the Z6. Because this is still true and relevant. And it will help you understand that I am not the dark force of Sony... crap, it may even be the second time I write "Sony" on this forum... why the hell did you bring that ?

Aaah your behavior is as annoying and painful to bear as the last season of Games of Thrones.  YIKES.

Well, regardless of what the general opinion on the internet is - I'm quite satisfied with my Z6 and the new firmware is cool too. Yes, since I've got mine already in Nov and so it's rather an early one, I need to send it in. But at least Nikon is doing something, they seem to have learnt from the D600 desaster. Regarding the current eBay value, I wouldn't care too much about it. Unless you're not interested in the camera any more.

I for my part am still using my two NX1s as well, so can easily bridge the time until I get the Z6 back. In particular its viewfinder is much better than the older NX1 plus the new 14-30/4 is really great. Just my 2c.