Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

But can't take a fs7 apart and make it small. Also no idea but the next cam with autofocus and raw is c300? P4k, no af and the lot does not take photos either. 

I am on the verge of getting a p4k but to really shot it stable you need to rig it up. With z6 the only rigging to be done is add the ninja Ibis should do the rest. For me it seems still the smallest package.

hybrid, continues af, Ibis, raw, in a10x15x15cm package, jfc.

Specs wise it is mind blowing. Reality not so much, yet. Let's see how the firmware updates are coming along.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, hansel said:

But can't take a fs7 apart and make it small. Also no idea but the next cam with autofocus and raw is c300? P4k, no af and the lot does not take photos either. 

I am on the verge of getting a p4k but to really shot it stable you need to rig it up. With z6 the only rigging to be done is add the ninja Ibis should do the rest. For me it seems still the smallest package.

hybrid, continues af, Ibis, raw, in a10x15x15cm package, jfc.

Specs wise it is mind blowing. Reality not so much, yet. Let's see how the firmware updates are coming along.

IBIS seems limiting though with the odd effects it can bring.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:15 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

IBIS seems limiting though with the odd effects it can bring.

So far, it has only annoyed me at wide angle (at 24mm with the new 24-70 f4), as I explained earlier. It is the same behavior as with my XT2 + 18-55 ois and 50-140, and seems to be linked to the distortion auto-correction. I've posted a link to the dvxuser forum where someone found the same conclusions. I easily get rid of it with DV Resolve, by using a minimal amount of stabilization (and a tiny crop most of the time). It really works well.

With my adapted 50mm 1.8G, it does not appear, which points to a messy distortion auto-correction.

At around 70mm, it is quite jittery, when I can't manage to remain steady (for example, when it was really cold with a lot of wind and snow). Again, 30s into Resolve and it rocks (at least, I'm satisfied with it). Otherwise, for static shots with steady hands, it is incredible. Quite similar, if not better, than what I managed to obtain with the Fuji 50-140.

10 hours ago, hansel said:

Exactly, that’s what I meant with “reality just not quite there yet.”

Yes, there are a lot of small annoyances, and photographylife has summarized them (I agree with almost the entire list !) but none of them have really prevented me from shooting accordingly to my will. I too hope for the firmware update to improve things.

I will soon buy a telephoto for distant landscape and wildlife, so I'll let you know how the ibis work !

1 hour ago, ivanku said:

I agree that the weird IBIS artifacts almost disappear at 50mm, but it’s not distortion correction that’s causing this. I tested a couple of manual focus wide angle lenses with corrections turned off, and saw the same wobbles. 

Ah, that's interesting thanks ! I was sure about the distortion correction, because it was supposed to be the case on the Fuji XT2, and the Z6 wobbles is extremely similar. But your tests point to the ibis, I guess. To be sure we talk about the same phenomena : by wobbles, we talk about a sort of distortion, like a shift in the corners, not just "shaking" ? On my Fuji, it sometimes appeared on the entire frame, while with the Z6, it seems to only concern the corners.

So, again, fingers crossed for the FW update ?

Yep, exactly - a pronounced distortion at the corners with little effect on the center. I did some handheld video on a job yesterday with the 50mm 1.8 and I didn’t see any wobble. So the IBIS is useful, but limited. What was the issue on Fuji’s? The xt2 never had ibis, correct? So was it an effect that was visible without any mechanical stabilization?

there might be software that Nikon is running with ibis that we don’t know about. So just because we’ve got Distortion correction disabled, doesn’t mean there’s no computing happening we don’t know about. It may be purely mechanical, or it may be something that Nikon can change in the firmware 

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I am holding fire on a decision until I see the new firmware. Sony have stepped up their AF on the A6400/A9 and I am guessing there will be a video oriented release taking on the z6 (A7SIII, A7IV?) which will have to be competitively priced. Can Nikon improve their already good AF to keep up with a firmware update? Particularly in the field of action stills, the Z6 is not really a sports camera, the DSLRs still have the edge for stills. The ideal hybrid video/stills action solution is still not there; the A9 is perhaps the closest, but still expensive and lacking key video features like profiles.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:12 PM, ivanku said:

I agree that the weird IBIS artifacts almost disappear at 50mm, but it’s not distortion correction that’s causing this. I tested a couple of manual focus wide angle lenses with corrections turned off, and saw the same wobbles. 

I also saw some weird wobbling in ibis mode. I didn't make scientific test, put putting it in sport mode seems to get rid of it. I have work two week extensively on a project with the z6 and put it in sport mode most of the time and did not see it at all. At least it was not obvious at all for me to notice.

On 2/1/2019 at 6:55 PM, ivanku said:

Yep, exactly - a pronounced distortion at the corners with little effect on the center. I did some handheld video on a job yesterday with the 50mm 1.8 and I didn’t see any wobble. So the IBIS is useful, but limited. What was the issue on Fuji’s? The xt2 never had ibis, correct? So was it an effect that was visible without any mechanical stabilization?

there might be software that Nikon is running with ibis that we don’t know about. So just because we’ve got Distortion correction disabled, doesn’t mean there’s no computing happening we don’t know about. It may be purely mechanical, or it may be something that Nikon can change in the firmware 

Yes, correct, no ibis on the xt2, but I relied on the 18-55 OIS to add a bit of stab. From what I remember, the distortion auto-correction was incriminated in a lot of forum speculations. But, as you wrote, it may be something running in the background.
Concerning the z6, I have just read on dvxuser a guy who seems to get rid of the wobbling by setting IBIS to "sport". I'm gonna test this today with the 24-70. I'm testing right now with the 50 1.8g adapted via ftz, and it seems to be less jittery/jumpy, but I will confirm that later buy reviewing on my computer.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:44 PM, Geoff_L said:

Yes, correct, no ibis on the xt2, but I relied on the 18-55 OIS to add a bit of stab. From what I remember, the distortion auto-correction was incriminated in a lot of forum speculations. But, as you wrote, it may be something running in the background.
Concerning the z6, I have just read on dvxuser a guy who seems to get rid of the wobbling by setting IBIS to "sport". I'm gonna test this today with the 24-70. I'm testing right now with the 50 1.8g adapted via ftz, and it seems to be less jittery/jumpy, but I will confirm that later buy reviewing on my computer.

That's exactly my experience that I reported above. I did it more or less by trial and error. I just switched the thing to sport mode and saw no more wobble and forgot about it until I came back to this thread.

1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

That's exactly my experience that I reported above. I did it more or less by trial and error. I just switched the thing to sport mode and saw no more wobble and forgot about it until I came back to this thread.

Aaaah sorry, I have read you comment too quickly ! I have yet to try the 24-70 with ibis in sport mode, but so far it is working better with the 50 1.8G. Good news, as I do not see any difference except from less wobbles and jitters.

As I am learning Resolve, here is a still grab. It is just a test, nothing serious, after having tweaked the wheels to check how the flat profile responses. Shot with the 24-70s, handheld with the help of high winds ?

Oh, btw, exiting news these days : a speedmaster 50 f0.95 for z mount is coming, as well as new samyang lenses and techart adapters (Sony to Z, and canon to Z) are soon to be announced.

z6.png

On 2/14/2019 at 3:04 AM, BasiliskFilm said:

To be honest, I am holding fire on a decision until I see the new firmware. Sony have stepped up their AF on the A6400/A9 and I am guessing there will be a video oriented release taking on the z6 (A7SIII, A7IV?) which will have to be competitively priced. Can Nikon improve their already good AF to keep up with a firmware update? Particularly in the field of action stills, the Z6 is not really a sports camera, the DSLRs still have the edge for stills. The ideal hybrid video/stills action solution is still not there; the A9 is perhaps the closest, but still expensive and lacking key video features like profiles.

I have a buddy who shoots sidelines at Oakland Raiders games and he switched from his Sony A9 system to Canon. He complained a lot about autofocus tracking especially while panning in autofocus continuous high. This is the weakness of mirrorless cameras and why I would only use my Nikon Z6 for pre and post game shots. In game football action, NOTHING beats a DSLR and optical viewfinder especially on the D500 and D3s up through to the D5 (OH GOD how I love the D500). Then again, these cameras are nothing but tools. Right tool for the right job. There is no magic Goldilocks camera that will rule them all.

In regards to hybrid video shooting stabilization, the best thing to do to eliminate lens or IBIS video wobble is to buy a gimbal and turn off IBS/VR. Sure, it makes any mirrorless system more of a clunky beast, but if you want buttery smooth video with a stills camera (mirrorless or DSLR), you need to place it on a gimbal. NO camera manufacturer is going to cannibalize their pro video cam lineup by introducing a cheaper and compact consumer/prosumer stills camera that can eclipse an FS5/7, Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k, EVA1, or Canon's C100-300 Cinema line up. And Nikon is too conservative of a company to leap into that territory of dedicated video cameras.

These mirrorless cameras are meant to be nothing but a bridge between standard DSLRs and dedicated video cams. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 7:27 AM, Django said:

And furthermore who really wants to use an external recorder on a mirrorless? Not that many people imo. Kind of defeats the whole compact portable purpose.

Flexibility? So you can if you want to for a particular purpose, but use internal for other applications as needed?

On 2/1/2019 at 5:12 AM, ivanku said:

Those wobbles are a combination of lens distortion as the focal point moves and rolling shutter. Your camera can't correct for this. You will have them in most stabilized systems in one form or another no matter what system is used unless you have exceptional optics

On 3/2/2019 at 1:06 PM, DeMarcus Davis said:

I have a buddy who shoots sidelines at Oakland Raiders games and he switched from his Sony A9 system to Canon. He complained a lot about autofocus tracking especially while panning in autofocus continuous high. This is the weakness of mirrorless cameras and why I would only use my Nikon Z6 for pre and post game shots. In game football action, NOTHING beats a DSLR and optical viewfinder especially on the D500 and D3s up through to the D5 (OH GOD how I love the D500). Then again, these cameras are nothing but tools. Right tool for the right job. There is no magic Goldilocks camera that will rule them all.

In regards to hybrid video shooting stabilization, the best thing to do to eliminate lens or IBIS video wobble is to buy a gimbal and turn off IBS/VR. Sure, it makes any mirrorless system more of a clunky beast, but if you want buttery smooth video with a stills camera (mirrorless or DSLR), you need to place it on a gimbal. NO camera manufacturer is going to cannibalize their pro video cam lineup by introducing a cheaper and compact consumer/prosumer stills camera that can eclipse an FS5/7, Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k, EVA1, or Canon's C100-300 Cinema line up. And Nikon is too conservative of a company to leap into that territory of dedicated video cameras.

These mirrorless cameras are meant to be nothing but a bridge between standard DSLRs and dedicated video cams. 

That is not correct. DSLR tracking is inherently limited by hardware while MILC tracking is limited only by computing power. It is inevitable that MILCs will overtake DSLRs in this respect. The latest iterations of Sony firmware are apparently already there or are pretty damned close.

We are now at the trip point when photography moves rapidly to MILC systems. My prediction a few years ago was that this would happen around 2019 based on my perception of how technology was developing, and it somewhat satisfying that it is actually playing out that way :) . Especially going back to forums like Canon Rumors and the folk there who poo pooed that idea. Turns out they were not as astute as they thought :)

16 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Wolfcrow Z6 review. Seems to like it, but says you NEED to have an external recorder to use it for serious video work.

Don't need NEED to. 

Tonnes of people use mirrorless cameras in only 8bit already

Oh, and here is another review:

https://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/6221-the-nikon-z-6-has-the-king-of-the-crossover-cameras-arrived

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Don't need NEED to. 

Tonnes of people use mirrorless cameras in only 8bit already

Oh, and here is another review:

https://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/6221-the-nikon-z-6-has-the-king-of-the-crossover-cameras-arrived

Did you even watch the video why he said you needed it? It was not so much about 10 bit, it was more about the lack of video shooting aides the camera Doesn't have in it. The biggest flaw is there is no exposure aide in video. You are basically shooting blind. And yeah sure the 10 bit and Raw is mostly the main reason you are going to buy it, but I will cut them slack as it is their first try at a big time FF Mirrorless. Some of the problems might be able to be fixed with a firmware update.

Then you could use any of a million other monitor onlys, not necessarily a recorder. 

Plus heaps of mirrorless shoots only use the basic built in monitoring tools. So is not a deal breaker for the Z6 vs much of the competition (although yes, of course the likes of the GH5/GH5S is far ahead of the competition)