Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The one thing that they point out in this review that I haven’t seen in any other review is that weird IBIS “shimmy.” I’m noticing it on my Z6 as well, and can’t figure out if there’s a solution. It seems to be more prominent at wide angles, and when it happens, it’s totally jarring.

2 hours ago, ivanku said:

The one thing that they point out in this review that I haven’t seen in any other review is that weird IBIS “shimmy.” I’m noticing it on my Z6 as well, and can’t figure out if there’s a solution. It seems to be more prominent at wide angles, and when it happens, it’s totally jarring.

Make certain that the digital image stabilization is off.

I have, it’s absolutely not an eVR artifact. This happens with only ibis on, especially at wide angle. Handhold a video for a couple minutes, at 24-35mm, just holding the camera still without using any other bracing. Play it back and you’ll see it - it’s like ibis decides, without any obvious reason, to shimmy diagonally and then resettle. It’s not compensating for anything, it just inexplicably wiggles. 

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I just skimmed through the review but I still am tempted to buy it after watching. 422 Nlog looks great. IBIS is more useful to me with longer lenses anyways. Hoping a firmware update will fix that issue though. 

I wouldn't buy anything on hopes of a firmware. But that said the Z6 is a lot of camera for the money. I don't think you would be disappointed.

2 hours ago, ivanku said:

I have, it’s absolutely not an eVR artifact. This happens with only ibis on, especially at wide angle. Handhold a video for a couple minutes, at 24-35mm, just holding the camera still without using any other bracing. Play it back and you’ll see it - it’s like ibis decides, without any obvious reason, to shimmy diagonally and then resettle. It’s not compensating for anything, it just inexplicably wiggles. 

I can't say I really noticed it at all. But then again I don't shoot wide that much. Is it with adapted lenses? I honestly remain unconvinced by IBIS. I think it makes more sense for stills than for video. 

I tested the Z6 with IBIS on and using an older 20mm D lens, with distortion correction turned off. Had the same wobble effect, so this is definitely not a lens correction profile that's causing this. It seems the z-axis movement of the IBIS (pitch/yaw?) causes a weird "shimmy" effect in video, especially when combined with wide angle lenses (35mm and below at full frame). When using 50mm and above, the effect is minimal, and when it appears, is barely noticeable.

I just finished my first shoot where I used the z6 for all the video shooting.  Was a bit painful to shoot (z6+14-24f2.8+ronin-s), but a total joy to grade.  The house was pretty easy to shoot though, nowhere near the dynamic range of some properties I shoot, it'll be interesting to see how it fares with them.  The ronin-s is miles better than the crane 2 for me. virtually no jitter even with the humongous cam and lens combo.  Good job too because the rolling shutter makes warp stabiliser a bit hit and miss.  I know some people have complained about the slomo, but I think its better than the gh5's. I spent the first few weeks telling my partner I was going to sell it, but just like the d5500, I'm loving the image.  Foibles: flicker from lights. I assume this is to do with the slow readout too.  Never had this issue with GH5. Its fine if I leave the shutter on 1/100 or 1/50th, but problematic if I want to use an auto mode.  I noticed some flicker on manual with auto iso. Have no idea why that should happen.  I know people dont post there own work a lot on here, I think more people should.  :)

On 1/24/2019 at 12:11 AM, hansel said:

Why was it painful to shoot, to much weight? Video looks very clean.

Yes really farking heavy, and 30+ degrees. that shot of the person in the river is me.  Even after jumping in I was still roasting :)  The video is really clean, in the shadows too.  My first impression is that the GH5 will offer you more control, and ultimately a better image when you have time to work on it. I'd be more comfortable shooting a low-budget advert on the gh5 if I had control of light, and time to do anything about it.  Coupled with just how weird the gh5 was to grade.  Sometimes the exact same grading would look vastly different from one shot to the next.  I was constantly fiddling just to get something acceptable.  I'd try to pull the sky down and it would fall apart. I'd try to boost the shadows and it would fall apart.  I  got used to living with a shot pretty well how i'd shot it.  z6 i get the feeling I'll be able to shove it around more, which is odd because I'm pretty sure its a lower bitrate and 8 bit.  Go figure. I'm going to sell my gh5. Just need to decide if I'm going to sell all my m4/3 kit or keep it in case I get a BMPCC4k. 

On 1/24/2019 at 9:04 AM, BasiliskFilm said:

camera 1lb, lens 2lb - not the easiest setup to balance, I imagine!

the ronin is impressive in that regard if a bit quirky.  Even with the ronin you dont get full movement - the rubber eyepiece hits the ronin, so you only get about 30 degrees to tilt down. I tried adding extra weight to the back so I could move the camera forward, but didn't work. Cant wait for the 14-30. (I imagine I'll be looking at the mooza air once i start getting more native lenses).   However, seeing what sony are doing with their autofocus, and how much their colour has improved, I still havent ruled out going all in on sony depending on the next a7s.   

On 1/8/2019 at 4:27 PM, KnightsFan said:

Amazong. So is this the first hybrid camera to natively offer RAW video? I would never have guessed that Nikon would be first.

On 1/8/2019 at 4:31 PM, webrunner5 said:

Wow Nikon is the Last company I would have thought would go that route. That is amazing!

Why not Nikon be first? 

After all Nikon was first giving us an HDSLR in the first place! ?

(Nikon picked up a few other minor firsts too, like the first 4K APS-C DSLR, and numerous firsts in the photography world)

On 1/8/2019 at 5:54 PM, JurijTurnsek said:

haha, poor Sony will have to postpone the a7SIII launch yet again

And then Panasonic will release the S1 and Sony will have to delay yet again....

Then Fujifilm releases the X-H2 and Sony has to delay yet again

Until Panasonic will release the GH6 and Sony will have to delay yet again....

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Why not Nikon be first? 

After all Nikon was first giving us an HDSLR in the first place! ?

No reason why Nikon shouldn't be first, but when Atomos first announced Raw over HDMI, I predicted that Panasonic would be the first to take advantage of it. My second guess would have been that Blackmagic make a Raw video camera that takes good enough photos to be technically called a hybrid.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:49 AM, Danyyyel said:

There has been some management change if I am not mistaken. It is true that they have sometimes added  some functionality but never at this level. One reason could also be that other manufacturer have come with 10 bit video just after them and just like that they where just in the pack, with Pana and Fuji with 4k 60p. As a Nikon user, every time Nikon came out with some new video tech, but just at the same time someone came and just took the limelight out of them. Even if I know how good the Nikon video image is for quite some time, most people consider them as not good or only photographic centric company. This time would have played the same way, the Z6 would have been only for Nikon connoisseur. The rest would have still been Sony, Canon, Pana or even fuji video users. When you think the A73 was considered game changing like only 9 month ago and the z6 more or less beats it in every way, this tells you how low Nikon is in the video community. 

While now, with this RAW upgrade, they clearly make a Canon 5D move in 2008. All the others, except Fuji are scratching their heads. This would kill a lot of sales for Canon, Sony and Pana if they put RAW in their 2000-3000 mirrorless camera in their video camera line.

Yes, Nikon is one of the top choices for video (arguably the #1 choice), yet their perception is not even "mid back" but "last" (ignored alongside with Pentax etc). 

Nikon has a serious marketing problem, and giving us raw video from a $2K full frame mirrorless exactly what they need to do to make heads turn and finally pay attention

I don't wanna belittle Nikon's efforts but you can get internal RAW today for $1300. And internal 10-bit for $1500.

A Nikon Z6 + FTZ adapter + Ninja V will run you almost $3K. That's second hand FS5 money. We're also talking ProRes Raw which has its limitations.

And furthermore who really wants to use an external recorder on a mirrorless? Not that many people imo. Kind of defeats the whole compact portable purpose.

I still think this is a step in the right direction but I'm hoping Nikon goes further and gives us internal 10-bit, Log & even Raw. We know its technically possible.

I'd really like to see Nikon put a strong dent in the market (they deserve it and competition is healthy for all us) but with BMD, Fuji, the S1 & Sony's response I sincerely think it's going to take a little more than external ProRes Raw to do so.