Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

WOW, I thought it was a joke, I am bewildered, I was hopeful Nikon would do some firmware update, but this one is out of this world. My z6 in arriving in two days, it is as if I am getting a new camera. I hope they do it for the 1080 version also. For those asking about raw 6k to 4k etc, Nikon has some lower rez raw format for photo already, they might use the same system for video.

This is another Canon 5d moment. I am sure people in Sony, Pana and Canon HQ are in panic mode. This camera will more or less beat anything below 30 000 USD. It will be a full frame Raw camera with at least 14 stop of DR, low light that will beat every APSC photo/video camera, very good IBIS and slowmotion etc. The only place it will be beaten is slow motion and Nikon is coming with a full set of video centric lens that will be a bargain in the video/cinema world. 

Does anyone know the different bitrate of prores raw. I have seen Black Magic ones but I don't know compression of Prores Raw.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I recall seeing some test that seemed to suggest that Prores Raw was no better than regular prores. What's the verdict? Is this really a big step up from log,  or just hype?

Does this mean the AF issues will be resolved when recording externally? 

It all seems rather compelling. 

I don't think you can get even close to that much latitude or processing from normal  Prores.

53 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

I don't think you can get even close to that much latitude or processing from normal  Prores.

Yeah, this looks impressive... until you realize he was not actually recovering lost information from an overexposed shot, but rather just undoing the processing that FCPX did to the footage when he imported it. Let me ask you this... if you shot stills in raw @14bit, and they were that overexposed... do you believe you would be able to recover that much detail? Of course not. This video is a excellent example of a YouTuber misleading by not fully understanding color space and the processing that it being applied.

I'm calling BS on prores raw... I have an Z6, and it's great in many ways. But there are things that need to be fixed.... the AF in low-light, the AF in NLog and hey, internal NLog would be great. Honestly, if Prores Raw actually bought anything worthwhile to the table; I would be all over it, but I suspect it is nothing more than hype. However, since we are posting videos...

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

I'm calling BS on prores raw... I have an Z6, and it's great in many ways. But there are things that need to be fixed.... the AF in low-light, the AF in NLog and hey, internal NLog would be great. Honestly, if Prores Raw actually bought anything worthwhile to the table; I would be all over it, but I suspect it is nothing more than hype. However, since we are posting videos...

His example is a bit of a stretch, but as a Nikon photo Raw shooter I have pulled a lot of blown highlight or recovered super underexposed images, I never thought would be possible. Raw also is another league in terms of possibility for color correction, it is just another world.

I hope Nikon (more atomos) puts a version of the open source black magic Codec. Until now Prores Raw is only a Mac only format and FCPX. From what I saw BM raw has more compressed version, is open source and multi platform. The problem is, will Atomos go the BM raw while they had exclusivity with Apple etc. Or BM comes with another recorder thatcan take this signal and convert it to BM raw.

The eye AF is a feature from my days with Sony A7III that I didn't think I will miss that much on my Z 6. I am very exited for this one and I hope it works as good or even better!

Dear Nikon, fix the video AF on the Z 6 when recording externally with Nlog turned on or conversely, make sure that video AF works well while recording ProRes Raw. 

Add exposure meter when shooting video and lastly improve low light AF.

Do all those and you sure guarantee that will I keep my Z 6 till hopefully when the second generation of the Z bodies come out. 

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The numbers are exactly the same as A7R III. Nikon is literally using the same preset readout drive mode in that Sony sensor, IMX251.

If the differences comparing SLog 2 to ProRes Raw are minor, I have to imagine even less difference when comparing 10 bit NLog to 10 bit ProRes Raw. I’ll need to see footage before I’m convinced. Imo, they should have focused more on fixing requested bugs and adding requested features. Now if this was 14 bit raw video things would be different. But as things stand... Idk. You will not see more dynamic range. That will still be set to whatever it is limited to. They need to put out some footage.

1 hour ago, Castorp said:

Nikon hasn't done firmware updates like this in the past. I wonder if this is new for the Z system? This is potentially very big. What a lovely surprise. I really didn't expect this from Nikon. 

There has been some management change if I am not mistaken. It is true that they have sometimes added  some functionality but never at this level. One reason could also be that other manufacturer have come with 10 bit video just after them and just like that they where just in the pack, with Pana and Fuji with 4k 60p. As a Nikon user, every time Nikon came out with some new video tech, but just at the same time someone came and just took the limelight out of them. Even if I know how good the Nikon video image is for quite some time, most people consider them as not good or only photographic centric company. This time would have played the same way, the Z6 would have been only for Nikon connoisseur. The rest would have still been Sony, Canon, Pana or even fuji video users. When you think the A73 was considered game changing like only 9 month ago and the z6 more or less beats it in every way, this tells you how low Nikon is in the video community. 

While now, with this RAW upgrade, they clearly make a Canon 5D move in 2008. All the others, except Fuji are scratching their heads. This would kill a lot of sales for Canon, Sony and Pana if they put RAW in their 2000-3000 mirrorless camera in their video camera line.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I don't know if it's just me or not, but I'm kinda of dissapointed with High-ISO on my Z6. I did a quick comparison with my D600 (RAW photos) and they were very, very close. Even my D600 were sharper (maybe because I have fine-tuned my Sigma 50mm). And I also shoot some video, flat profile and at 5000iso I could see a lot of grain.Very rough conditions I must say, no daylight...
I believe I still need to fine-tune my 50mm Art, because I feel I'm not getting really, really sharp photos.

So, what I'm trying to get is If I really have a defective camera or just "stuff" on my mind... I still have a few days to return.

58 minutes ago, BaZa said:

Hey guys!

I don't know if it's just me or not, but I'm kinda of dissapointed with High-ISO on my Z6. I did a quick comparison with my D600 (RAW photos) and they were very, very close. Even my D600 were sharper (maybe because I have fine-tuned my Sigma 50mm). And I also shoot some video, flat profile and at 5000iso I could see a lot of grain.Very rough conditions I must say, no daylight...
I believe I still need to fine-tune my 50mm Art, because I feel I'm not getting really, really sharp photos.

So, what I'm trying to get is If I really have a defective camera or just "stuff" on my mind... I still have a few days to return.

Probably you need to let more light on the sensor. shot noise can be a factor

1 hour ago, BaZa said:

Hey guys!

Looking at the image comparison tool on Dpreview they look very close. The Z6 also looks very close to the D850 in terms of noise performance, which isn't a bad thing. Thats comparing RAW photos. Jpeg and video is more about how good the NR algorithm is. 

I have a feeling its the lens. Sigma's are usually super sharp, even wide open. 

Was there a light source when you were shooting in low light? Would be interesting to see the video if you have time to upload it.