Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, hoodlum said:

Nikon announced that ProRes Raw is coming in a future firmware update.  Nikon also announced a Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Kit for $4k.

https://***URL removed***/news/7011682215/nikon-to-add-eye-af-raw-video-support-and-cfexpress-support-to-z-series

Amazong. So is this the first hybrid camera to natively offer RAW video? I would never have guessed that Nikon would be first.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So is this the first camera to offer RAW over HDMI??? (I think most cameras that offer RAW either do it over SDI or USB C, don't they???)

Or does the BMPCC4k have RAW over HDMI?

Jeez... this is pretty tempting now. 4K 60p would be nice. And having N Log internally would be nice as well (but if I need to get a Ninja V for recording RAW then I guess it is a moot point, huh?)

Darn... kind of wish I had held on to my Nikon glass...

18 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I don't think it does - but the HDMI is limited to 1080p only. 

Since it does Internal RAW or to an SSD though, it wouldn't benefit from having it on HDMI - you can get the same end result with a much cheaper, or even no monitor.

Thanks! So yeah, I guess that means the Z6 / Z7 will be the first to offer RAW over HDMI then...

• Super Members

6 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

I admit I'm shocked, but how they deliver 4k raw from 6k and 8k sensor? Its a crop or some kind of interpolation? 

The Z6 already downsamples from 6K to get its in-camera 4K output, so assuming it's done early enough in the processing pipeline they can send the output as RAW over HDMI instead of encoding it to h264 and writing it to the memory card.

I have a feeling an APS-C crop might be necessary for raw output on the Z7, as the line-skipping it uses for full-sensor 4K would make for some fugly RAW video.

I recall seeing some test that seemed to suggest that Prores Raw was no better than regular prores. What's the verdict? Is this really a big step up from log,  or just hype?

Does this mean the AF issues will be resolved when recording externally? 

It all seems rather compelling.