Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

Yes, they said XQD is not fast enough to support it internally, but once the much faster CF-Express cards are available they will push out a new firmware that will allow this feature. I thought this was common knowledge?

I think you are mistaken on that, XQD is already much faster than SD card and should easily be able to do 10 bit it is only 2 bit more and about 20-25% more data.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Castorp said:

AF problems are overblown. The video AF looks way better than competitors to me. For photos? I can count the number of times I have used AFC on one hand.

I use AFC on most of the stuff I shoot. I gave up shooting trees. I talked about that in another thread. So it would be a no go for me. But for you I guess it works, and that is fine.

2 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

I think you are mistaken on that, XQD is already much faster than SD card and should easily be able to do 10 bit it is only 2 bit more and about 20-25% more data.

Who talking about SD... Check out CFExpress here. It can write 1TBs per second. Way faster than any currently available.

Just now, DBounce said:

Who talking about SD... Check out CFExpress here. It can write 1TBs per second. Way faster than any currently available.

Yep and that is the reason Nikon decided to put small buffers in the Z (mostly noticeable in the z7 than z6 in photography). Because Buffers might become nearly redundant when you can write at those speeds. But , I never saw anything about internal 10 bit., which would have been nice.

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

But who told you the Z7 can write that fast? With the fastest 400MB XQD card, the Z7 can write 250MB, so its got a hardware limit.

11 hours ago, DBounce said:

Yes, they said XQD is not fast enough to support it internally, but once the much faster CF-Express cards are available they will push out a new firmware that will allow this feature. I thought this was common knowledge?

I had no idea, pretty significant news for me. 

Just a tip :

By default, the camera is set to shut down after a given delay (30s or 1min, can't remember), and goes into standby mode. I was surprised when everything went black in the middle of a long shoot ! The setting to change is in Custom Menu => C "Timers AE Lock" => C3 "Power off delay" => Standby timer. I set it to "No Limit".
The Everedy day dad has pointed it out in its review, and someone gave him the tip.

I don't know why, but since Sony makes the sensors, I suspect that the autofocus and dynamic range (including line banding and low light other issues), are things that Sony had handicapped for Nikon. As long as Sony is the manufacturers of sensors for other major manufacturers, it will either not make certain sensors available to others or have them mildly handicapped in comparison to the ones in its own cameras (A7iii vs Z6). Which is also the case with the sensors in the 1inch cameras that it makes for itself and other companies.

Maybe that's why Panasonic and Fuji are in such a hurry to move out of the Sony Sensor monopoly and Canon is still sticking with its sensors. 

4 hours ago, sanveer said:

I don't know why, but since Sony makes the sensors, I suspect that the autofocus and dynamic range (including line banding and low light other issues), are things that Sony had handicapped for Nikon. As long as Sony is the manufacturers of sensors for other major manufacturers, it will either not make certain sensors available to others or have them mildly handicapped in comparison to the ones in its own cameras (A7iii vs Z6). Which is also the case with the sensors in the 1inch cameras that it makes for itself and other companies.

Maybe that's why Panasonic and Fuji are in such a hurry to move out of the Sony Sensor monopoly and Canon is still sticking with its sensors. 

Nikon designs there own sensors. Sony is contracted to produce them. I would not be surprised to hear of this being addressed in firmware also.

4 hours ago, sanveer said:

I don't know why, but since Sony makes the sensors, I suspect that the autofocus and dynamic range (including line banding and low light other issues), are things that Sony had handicapped for Nikon.

Autofocus is not just down to the focus points on the sensor - most the heavy lifting is done by the CPU, in calculating when and where and how fast the lens needs to move. This involves ever more sophisticated software and I imagine AI and machine learning algorithms (such as face detection). Nikon is newer to the game of using both sensor PDAF and CDAF together than Sony (though perhaps it had a trial run with the N1 series?), so it doesn't seem unlikely that some firmware update might give improved performance in this area, like Panasonic did with the GH5. 

14 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

Autofocus is not just down to the focus points on the sensor - most the heavy lifting is done by the CPU, in calculating when and where and how fast the lens needs to move. This involves ever more sophisticated software and I imagine AI and machine learning algorithms (such as face detection). Nikon is newer to the game of using both sensor PDAF and CDAF together than Sony (though perhaps it had a trial run with the N1 series?), so it doesn't seem unlikely that some firmware update might give improved performance in this area, like Panasonic did with the GH5. 

Yes, I’m betting that just about all the issues will be addressed in firmware. There are so many variables, it’s hard to nail everything on the first release. But once the camera is out in the wild, and in the hands of many users, the problems will come to light. At that time resources can be bought to bare to tackle any issues.

23 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

10 bit log output - looks like Sony's handicapping may not be very effective ;)

Are there ANY Sony sensors that Do Not Do ATLEAST 10-bit at full res??? 

1 hour ago, BasiliskFilm said:

Nikon is newer to the game of using both sensor PDAF and CDAF together than Sony (though perhaps it had a trial run with the N1 series?), so it doesn't seem unlikely that some firmware update might give improved performance in this area, like Panasonic did with the GH5.

The GH5 autofocus has improved substantially in video from how it was, when it was released. Though it's still nowhere near PDAF territory. 

On 12/15/2018 at 10:39 PM, webrunner5 said:

Well it is their first effort. It is not going to be perfect even with a bunch of Firmware updates. It will take a few more generations to get up to speed.

I remember when you where saying that Nikon first gen would never compete against Sony third gen. You know what the Z6 is better than the A73 Sony MILC, better viewfinder, rear screen, ergonomic, 10 bit, construction weather sealing, 10 bit etc. The only thing it looses is Continous autofocus in.............. photo and not video. So what I expect is at least 1 or 2 firmware update for continuous autofocus to get it better. That does not mean that its photo autofocus is bad, it is just not at the same level than the Sony in Continous autofocus.

4 hours ago, BasiliskFilm said:

10 bit log output - looks like Sony's handicapping may not be very effective ;)

I can't understand people thinking, Sony sensor division is number one in the world, why would they handicap their reputation to protect 13% Milc Dslr market. They would alienate 90% of their own customer.