Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

52 minutes ago, gethin said:

I'm getting a bunch of people frothing on the nikon z facebook page for querying why nikon set the min shutter speed in auto modes to 1/25th, AND forced autoISO in the auto modes. You cant switch it off!  I phoned nikon today, I'm hoping there's something I'm missing somewhere. Frothy facebook people are wondering why anyone would want to use an auto mode, but for what I do it is essential. Auto iso in manual mode doesn't cut the mustard.  I've used this on canons, a couple of GH's and 2 DSLR nikons. It's baffling that the z implemation is so limited. (and why didn't they just set the min shutter to 2xfps, or at least let you specify max shutter angle).  

I'm in that weird period with a camera where you're getting to know it, and finding out all its quirks and foibles. (Controlling the IBIS via the lens. No peaking in autofocus mode, despite the fact you can change focus manually. No zebras and peaking, no level and histogram on screen at same time... and i have much to learn about autofocus.)

Most of the quirks you list are possibly software issues rather than hardware limitations, so let's hope that this is the programmers running out of time, as you might expect with a first model, and that a firmware update might sort some of it out.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
56 minutes ago, gethin said:

I'm getting a bunch of people frothing on the nikon z facebook page for querying why nikon set the min shutter speed in auto modes to 1/25th, AND forced autoISO in the auto modes. You cant switch it off!  I phoned nikon today, I'm hoping there's something I'm missing somewhere. Frothy facebook people are wondering why anyone would want to use an auto mode, but for what I do it is essential. Auto iso in manual mode doesn't cut the mustard.  I've used this on canons, a couple of GH's and 2 DSLR nikons. It's baffling that the z implemation is so limited. (and why didn't they just set the min shutter to 2xfps, or at least let you specify max shutter angle).  

I'm in that weird period with a camera where you're getting to know it, and finding out all its quirks and foibles. (Controlling the IBIS via the lens. No peaking in autofocus mode, despite the fact you can change focus manually. No zebras and peaking, no level and histogram on screen at same time... and i have much to learn about autofocus.)

Is it stuck on 1/25 speed? I had the Z7 for few days and could not change the shutter speed from 1/25 in S mode. As I shoot only in M mode, did not spend much time trying to solve it, but it was strange.

1 hour ago, gethin said:

Just be vocal about it. I’m certain a firmware update will fix the issues. I’m willing to bet this camera will improve over time. It’s already great, the firmware tweaks will make it better. Refinements to stills AF would also be good. Maybe eye detect?

17 hours ago, DBounce said:

Just be vocal about it. I’m certain a firmware update will fix the issues. I’m willing to bet this camera will improve over time. It’s already great, the firmware tweaks will make it better. Refinements to stills AF would also be good. Maybe eye detect?

Yeah I'm talking to a nikon tech about it. He said it's setup so min shutter is always 1/fps. I've asked him who or where i can petition for a firmware update :)

18 hours ago, liork said:

Is it stuck on 1/25 speed? I had the Z7 for few days and could not change the shutter speed from 1/25 in S mode. As I shoot only in M mode, did not spend much time trying to solve it, but it was strange.

Yeah shutter priority does not work at all. Lols

Haven’t use the video mode in anything but M and I don’t quite understand the utility. 

If I want automatic exposure in video mode I stay in M but switch ISO from manual to auto. 

I find there are more important things for Nikon to do. For example a way to declutter the display. There is no way to turn off all the info, rendering the display unusable at times. 

4 hours ago, Castorp said:

Haven’t use the video mode in anything but M and I don’t quite understand the utility. 

If I want automatic exposure in video mode I stay in M but switch ISO from manual to auto. 

I find there are more important things for Nikon to do. For example a way to declutter the display. There is no way to turn off all the info, rendering the display unusable at times. 

Doesn’t the “Disp” button do this?

6 hours ago, DBounce said:

Doesn’t the “Disp” button do this?

No, there's no way to clear the screen of all the info. It will only show a screen with less info, but often I want nothing but the image on my screen. Especially as I have that top display for vital info. 

Also during image review I find no way of displaying histogram and/or blown highlight warnings. All this is possible on Nikon's DSLR so I don't understand why it's not on the Z yet. Firmware must be in the works. 

16 hours ago, Castorp said:

Also during image review I find no way of displaying histogram and/or blown highlight warnings. All this is possible on Nikon's DSLR so I don't understand why it's not on the Z yet. Firmware must be in the works. 

Thanks for all the insights.

Can't you just flick through histogram etc in pic viewing mode by clicking up/down with the joystick?

7 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Why would you buy a camera that knowingly sucks for AFC? That screws you both on the Photo and Video side. What you just going to take photos, videos of a tree in your back yard with no wind?

In video, the AFC focus is great. And that’s from testing and not only reading in forums. In stills, AFC is not great. Yes, they have different performance. Z7/6 has wonderful face detection and object tracking in video AFC.

55 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

They are adding 10 bit internal?!

Yes, they said XQD is not fast enough to support it internally, but once the much faster CF-Express cards are available they will push out a new firmware that will allow this feature. I thought this was common knowledge?

1 hour ago, liork said:

In video, the AFC focus is great. And that’s from testing and not only reading in forums. In stills, AFC is not great. Yes, they have different performance. Z7/6 has wonderful face detection and object tracking in video AFC.

Yes - it's not the first time it has been suggested. Maybe AFC prioritises smoothness, which is great for video, but not great for stills if you are always a fraction of a second behind the action. I would like a Nikon that lets me ditch the DSLR for all stills photography as well as video. Let's hope they are still working on the firmware.

I'm just back from a winter hike in the snow, and the z6 was out to take its first freezing assault. Some observations :

• I can operate with my lightweight gloves without any problem. It is a huge plus. The touch screen works OK ; some icons on the screen are rather small, thus difficult to touch, but nothing insurmountable. I repeat, again, the screen and evf are both splendid.
  • Switching between still and video is just perfect, as a lot of people have pointed. It is so much better than what I was used to with my Fuji X-T2. For hybrid shooters, it is clearly a big plus.
  • Ibis is really good, and I managed to walk on the snow while filming, and It appears to be quite good (have to check on my big monitor). For photography, it is very good.

• I love the 24-70 f4 s. Reminds me of the great fuji kit lense 18-55 ois. I've checked for focus breathing, and can't find some (or it is so minimal that I can't see it... but I'm not an expert).
  • I don't like the two "fn" buttons on the front, near the mount. With gloves on, I barely can feel when I press them, as they are not designed like the others (without gloves they are OK).
  • AUTOFOCUS : oh, what a big big thing for me !! I love to manually pull focus (I'm still learning, and suck at it, but I enjoy learning to properly operate it), but I have entirely relied on AF for this hike. I set the AF parameters in order to obtain smooth transitions. And it is exactly as what you can see on a lot of review : its is smooooooth !! Very like manual to my eyes ; I have to be honest :  it is much better than what I can manually do :D I've used AFC to follow my girlfriend while walking, and on the backscreen it seems to do job. I'm waiting for the camera to slowly warm up in its bag, in order to transfer the files and judge on my monitor. But, when I performed close-up, with a move of the focus point on the background, then on something else, it performed flawlessly. Very smooth transition and accurate focusing with no hunting. 

For photo, I have to try serious AFC, but I know it won't be that great... and I will live with it, as it's not a priority to me.

I will try to take the time, quickly, to edit the videos and share something. By the way, is someone have tips and advices to grade Nikon flat profile ?

To sum up : I was happy with the handling of the camera, Ibis, AF in video, colours and WB. Now, I'm really really really happy, as I know it will be a great tool to operate, eaxctly as I wanted

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Why would you buy a camera that knowingly sucks for AFC? That screws you both on the Photo and Video side. What you just going to take photos, videos of a tree in your back yard with no wind?

Well, because, I guess, not everyone in the world is a "soccer mom" or Moose Petterson :D But seriously, I'm firstly a landscape photographer, so personally I don't care much about AFC in still. I shoot wildlife too, but not BIF, nor high speed running cheetahs during safaris ; more placid ibex in the mountains in winter, grazing reindeers in autumn or chasing Northern hawk owl. I shoot nightscapes too, in manual focus. As for video, mostly narrative and documentary style stuff. I'm not a vlogger or a youtuber, just an amateur enjoying taking pictures. The z6 let me do this and achieving modest results, according to my needs, that satisfies me.

14 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well it is their first effort. It is not going to be perfect even with a bunch of Firmware updates. It will take a few more generations to get up to speed.

Yes, you are right ! I know it's not as powerful as other offerings, but not too shabby for a first attempt. They've decided to port their dsrl body spirit in it, and I like that. But, unfortunately Nikon is not the champion of firmware updates... and there is a bunch of small annoying stuffs that could be solved via a firmware update (photography life has a long and interesting list for z7/z6).

59 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Yes, they said XQD is not fast enough to support it internally, but once the much faster CF-Express cards are available they will push out a new firmware that will allow this feature. I thought this was common knowledge?

Where did you see this statment?

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

AF problems are overblown. The video AF looks way better than competitors to me. For photos? I can count the number of times I have used AFC on one hand.