Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, gethin said:

just finished processing the stills from my first commercial job with this camera. No video yet, but in case there's anyone else on here who will be using it for both, here is my first impression:  Wah!

Dynamic range, does not keep up with my 6 year old d800 at lowest isos. There is much less highlight detail retained, and you cant push the shadows as far. Much more noise, weird colours creeping in.  I can push my d800 five stops and still get a vaguely usable image, not so z6.  I really thought a 6 year younger camera would keep up with stills.  Sadly my d5500 does a better job of holding onto highlights.  ( shadows are a bit gnarly though).   

More testing needed, I'll do some side-by sides with the d800 and a mate's a7iii 

And what might I ask are you processing the stills with? I didn't think anything supported the Z6 NEF files. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
42 minutes ago, DBounce said:

And what might I ask are you processing the stills with? I didn't think anything supported the Z6 NEF files. 

a beta raw processor. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say ?  well it would be great if the issues were down to a shitty profile. Here's hoping. I highly doubt it though, that noise at 5 stops aint going away. 

8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Oh my, that macro blocking or whatever it is, is hideous. Never seen that on a camera tbh. Not sure what went wrong there.

Cant see that on my laptop, but can see that the focus is all over the place.  

5 hours ago, gethin said:

a beta raw processor. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say ?  well it would be great if the issues were down to a shitty profile. Here's hoping. I highly doubt it though, that noise at 5 stops aint going away. 

Cant see that on my laptop, but can see that the focus is all over the place.  

That's what I figured. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest something might be off on the software you are using. In any case it is a bit premature to draw conclusions about image quality when using software that is still in beta.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:37 AM, gethin said:

just finished processing the stills from my first commercial job with this camera. No video yet, but in case there's anyone else on here who will be using it for both, here is my first impression:  Wah!

Dynamic range, does not keep up with my 6 year old d800 at lowest isos. There is much less highlight detail retained, and you cant push the shadows as far. Much more noise, weird colours creeping in.  I can push my d800 five stops and still get a vaguely usable image, not so z6.  I really thought a 6 year younger camera would keep up with stills.  Sadly my d5500 does a better job of holding onto highlights.  ( shadows are a bit gnarly though).   

More testing needed, I'll do some side-by sides with the d800 and a mate's a7iii 

The difference is less than a half stop and only at base ISO.

Screenshot_2018-11-29-09-26-37.png.9781eec7d1eae33d1fc9eeae50e82ac0.png

5 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

The difference is less than a half stop and only at base ISO.

Screenshot_2018-11-29-09-26-37.png.9781eec7d1eae33d1fc9eeae50e82ac0.png

yeah but graphs!  Dxo my d5500 had better dynamic range than my d800. Pfff.  And active d-light makes a huge difference. I suspect tests like this are done without it (rightly so, because they are measuring what the hardware is capable of, but I have it on 11 most of the time :)  I tested it today on the z6 seemed to make stuff all difference.  I tried jpegs and the HDR setting. They were all gnarly compared to the d800.  And pink.  THe video looked like it had more dynamic range than the stills, so maybe I got a dud.

41 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Here is a quick bit of internal 4K 24p I shot in a car on a bumpy road.

Focus seems to hold reasonably well - given unpredictable movements and shallow DOF. Stabilisation OK, considering - was this just hand held? Enough stabilisation to hide any rolling shutter wierdness which is the main thing.
Which lens? A nice image.

Kipon are supposed to be producing AF adaptors for EF lenses and a motorised AF adaptor for MF lenses. Whether either of these are relevant to video shooting remains to be seen. 

31 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

Stabilisation OK, considering - was this just hand?

Which lens?

Kipon are supposed to be producing AF adaptors for EF lenses and a motorised AF adaptor for MF lenses. Whether either of these are relevant to video shooting remains to be seen. 

All handheld, and honestly, I was getting jostled about a fair bit, so I was please with the results.

I used the 35mm Z lens. 

As for weather the Kipon adapters will be good for video... well I hope so, our Schneider Xenon FF cinema primes are Canon mount and I would love to use them on this Nikon when using our motion control system.

I have been examining the footage from this Nikon with a critical eye. Comparing it to other cameras we have own/owned. While different in character, it can match quite well with the C200. I’m really liking the output from this camera. 

Without any raw support from Lightroom or CaptureOne we cannot fully judge the stills quality. But so far it looks good imo.

43 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I have not used the Nikon but with the XT3 you can adjust how fast the camera focuses. So there really are no jumps if you don't want there to be. 

Yes, that's a handy feature. On the Z6 you can select focus speed also... however you can additionally select when it is applied. For example, you may only wish to apply it when recording or you might choose to always apply your speed selection. 

42 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Yes, that's a handy feature. On the Z6 you can select focus speed also... however you can additionally select when it is applied. For example, you may only wish to apply it when recording or you might choose to always apply your speed selection. 

Interesting. Have you played with face detect yet?

What I mean is; I always see footage jump in and out of focus extremely fast. Not racking speed. My a6500 was the worst i've ever seen. The a7iii looks to be better, but still does it. Ruins the footage for me, I would just use manual focus to avoid it. I never have that on the 1dx ii, but saw it a little on the eos r, not bad though. 

41 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

What I mean is; I always see footage jump in and out of focus extremely fast. Not racking speed. My a6500 was the worst i've ever seen. The a7iii looks to be better, but still does it. Ruins the footage for me, I would just use manual focus to avoid it. I never have that on the 1dx ii, but saw it a little on the eos r, not bad though. 

I think a lot of people just don't take time to change settings. I use the focus speed settings to do slow rack pulls. I did a shot where I focused from one end of a table to the side near the camera (long table), and I adjusted the speed so it would be a 7 second pull. 

My A6300 was super fast, I don't think you could change the speed, though I don't remember. 

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think a lot of people just don't take time to change settings. I use the focus speed settings to do slow rack pulls. I did a shot where I focused from one end of a table to the side near the camera (long table), and I adjusted the speed so it would be a 7 second pull. 

My A6300 was super fast, I don't think you could change the speed, though I don't remember. 

It may not just be the speed but whether the focus snaps or eases in - imagine pulling focus over a distance - you don't turn at constant speed, you start slow, turn fast in the middle then, slow to a stop. The Nikon moves look to me like they have that "natural" ease-in, which is probably more difficult to achieve than snapping in. It is also less prone to over-shooting, which is another visual annoyance.