Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Not Ninja V, but with Inferno (Z7 running firmware 1.0) :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgtgezwqaayinb2/Z7 N Log 4k.mov?dl=0

courtesy by Jeff Curtner

Thanks, I already have that one :) That seems to be the only one available on the net. Something else would be great then :)

@DBounce On a second thought, I would be happy if you could share a short footage shot with the lens cap on.

23 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

Thanks, I already have that one :) That seems to be the only one available on the net. Something else would be great then :)

@DBounce On a second thought, I would be happy if you could share a short footage shot with the lens cap on.

Indeed : )

Well-asked request. An effective way to address further inspection on it : -)

1 hour ago, BasiliskFilm said:

I don't see any evidence that the Z6 has inferior video AF to the Z7 - perhaps the extra focus points on the Z7 are helpful in the higher precision required for 42MP stills, but actually for video it is speed and smoothness that are key, and the Z6 seems to have what it takes.

I think the video AF is pretty good. Not as good as Canon, but with some consideration to the limitations more than usable. I’ve played with most of the top hybrid contenders and I place this camera in the lead position assuming video is important to you. 

Stills performance is quite good, AF is acceptable, but given the lineage there remains room for improvement. Perhaps a firmware tweak can improve upon this. An update did greatly benefit the Panasonic GH cameras, so there is hope. Certainly Nikon is less than pleased with reports of their AF underperforming.

2 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Nice example of AF video tracking and use on a gimbal.

Pretty significant example of posterisation on the jeans from about 1:14. And on the big plant pot to the right.  Could that just be the grade?  Also I found the whole video quite macro-blocky, though you never know how much of that is down to youtube, im sure I've seen cleaner.

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

I think the video AF is pretty good. Not as good as Canon, but with some consideration to the limitations more than usable. I’ve played with most of the top hybrid contenders and I place this camera in the lead position assuming video is important to you. 

Stills performance is quite good, AF is acceptable, but given the lineage there remains room for improvement. Perhaps a firmware tweak can improve upon this. An update did greatly benefit the Panasonic GH cameras, so there is hope. Certainly Nikon is less than pleased with reports of their AF underperforming.

How does it compare to fuji auto focus?

19 hours ago, MattH said:

Pretty significant example of posterisation on the jeans from about 1:14. And on the big plant pot to the right.  Could that just be the grade?  Also I found the whole video quite macro-blocky, though you never know how much of that is down to youtube, im sure I've seen cleaner.

Its is a bit of a stretch I think to judge footage from a camera like posterisation  from a youtube clip.

Second wedding video from z6.

21 hours ago, MattH said:

Yeah, I saw that also and thought he must have been pretty heavy handed in post to break the image like that. 

From my experience the artifacts you see in that video are not represented of the Z6 when graded correctly.

Get this, ordered the official Nikon lcd protector for the z-series of cameras from Japan. Touch functionality is excellent BUT it’s matte and it muddies the details of the screen like crazy, almost unusable. So don’t go through the troubles of getting it. Another complaint no one has brought up from what I can see: Z6 splits the video files into 4gb chunks. Still. Ridiculous. They should fix this with firmware immediately, just like Fuji will with the x-t3.

19 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

How does it compare to fuji auto focus?

I believe the X-T3 May have an edge in stills AF performance. But I need to do more testing to be certain. Granted, the Nikon does slow me down a bit. I’m used to the 1DXMK2, with its machine gun like AF firing away continuously. With the Nikon it’s two burst shots.

I’m inclined to give the nod to the Nikon for video AF. I just haven’t had a lot of time to shoot lately. It does feel less prone to drift. Not that the X-T3 is bad. If not for the issues I had, I would still own it. The Fuji was a lot fun while it worked. 

Most of these cameras are all so good that I’m not sure it matters so much what body we use. Lighting, sound, camera movement and story are now our focus. 

Yes 8k is coming... but how many have monitors to display it? Granted you get more detail... but do we really want or need more detail? More often than not, we are seeking ways to soften our image. 

30 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

Another complaint no one has brought up from what I can see: Z6 splits the video files into 4gb chunks. Still. Ridiculous. They should fix this with firmware immediately, just like Fuji will with the x-t3.

I honestly never noticed this as I have yet to really shoot anything meaningful internally. Everything so far has been external to the Ninja V. I’ll have to check it out.

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

I believe the X-T3 May have an edge in stills AF performance. But I need to do more testing to be certain. Granted, the Nikon does slow me down a bit. I’m used to the 1DXMK2, with its machine gun like AF firing away continuously. With the Nikon it’s two burst shots.

I’m inclined to give the nod to the Nikon for video AF. I just haven’t had a lot of time to shoot lately. It does feel less prone to drift. Not that the X-T3 is bad. If not for the issues I had, I would still own it. The Fuji was a lot fun while it worked. 

Most of these cameras are all so good that I’m not sure it matters so much what body we use. Lighting, sound, camera movement and story are now our focus. 

Yes 8k is coming... but how many have monitors to display it? Granted you get more detail... but do we really want or need more detail? More often than not, we are seeking ways to soften our image. 

I honestly never noticed this as I have yet to really shoot anything meaningful internally. Everything so far has been external to the Ninja V. I’ll have to check it out.

Yeah only thing that could still see improvements is Dynamic range. I never really cared about 4k let alone 8k. 

On 11/26/2018 at 12:55 PM, Castorp said:

U mad bro? Hahahaha oh my god too funny

You quoted my honest post to the thread which was about autofocus and wrote something completely unrelated together with your usual shitty smileys.

In what way was your message meant to be constructive?

Address? Seriously? Hahahaha

Get a life. 

@Emanuel don’t bother answering to this guy. Could have been funny, but he is so retarded it’s actually sad. 

just finished processing the stills from my first commercial job with this camera. No video yet, but in case there's anyone else on here who will be using it for both, here is my first impression:  Wah!

Dynamic range, does not keep up with my 6 year old d800 at lowest isos. There is much less highlight detail retained, and you cant push the shadows as far. Much more noise, weird colours creeping in.  I can push my d800 five stops and still get a vaguely usable image, not so z6.  I really thought a 6 year younger camera would keep up with stills.  Sadly my d5500 does a better job of holding onto highlights.  ( shadows are a bit gnarly though).   

More testing needed, I'll do some side-by sides with the d800 and a mate's a7iii