Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If the adapter works well all the Nikon lens options gives Nikon an edge over Sony. But the Sony native lens options are probably better.

I'm not so sure they are better for video. The new Nikon Z mount lenses are said to have been designed to perform exceptionally well for video, being near silent in operations and having almost no focus breathing. I don't think Sony offers anything comparable for a similar price? Also consider, that while slower than ideal for some situations, having deeper dof is not necessarily a bad thing for video.

19 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I'm not so sure they are better for video. The new Nikon Z mount lenses are said to have been designed to perform exceptionally well for video, being near silent in operations and having almost no focus breathing. I don't think Sony offers anything comparable for a similar price? Also consider, that while slower than ideal for some situations, having deeper dof is not necessarily a bad thing for video.

I think sony has more options at this point, that was mainly what I was referring to. 

3 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think sony has more options at this point, that was mainly what I was referring to. 

Certainly, Sony has the edge in native glass. Not sure I would spring for the 58mm f.95 either as it is both huge and only manual. But it's a new mount, so more options will come in time. Between Fuji and now Nikon the competition is really heating up. Can't wait to see Panasonic hand everyone their ass on a plate. As the bar keeps getting raised we will have more options. I would love not to have to worry about ND on hybrid bodies. Yes Canon's adapter sort of does this, but not with native lenses. 

25 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Certainly, Sony has the edge in native glass. Not sure I would spring for the 58mm f.95 either as it is both huge and only manual. But it's a new mount, so more options will come in time. Between Fuji and now Nikon the competition is really heating up. Can't wait to see Panasonic hand everyone their ass on a plate. As the bar keeps getting raised we will have more options. I would love not to have to worry about ND on hybrid bodies. Yes Canon's adapter sort of does this, but not with native lenses. 

I am feeling iffy about the Panasonic full frame. I am guessing it will lead in internal IQ, but I fear they are going to stick to their outdated contrast detect focus system. 

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

I don't understand that supposed edge in native lens. From everything I have seen the adapted lens worked as good as they did on native F mount cameras. Have people not seen the video from Ricci Talk and BH, one was the 105mm F1.4 and the other 70-200 2.8. The 70-200 2.8 was tracking in very low light in the BH video. I dare to say that after the lens rental review of the build quality of the z7, that the z6 might be more weather proof with the FTZ adapter than Sony cameras. I personally don't know, but can someone tell me how many Sony, Pana or Fuji have in terms of video centric lens (silent, no breathing etc)

The second thing is that Nikon said they were dedicated to video now and the development of the S line of lens was from the ground up done with video in mind. We can already see it with the fast focusing , silent and zero breathing lens they have released. If you think that the treatment they gave to their 24-70 f4  kit lens in terms of video, you can be sure that they were not joking when they said that. Another thing, they already published lens roadmap, by next year we will get nearly the trifecta of Nikon 2.8 zoom and two new f1.8 prime lens plus the f.95 prime. Again I just saw a mock up of the F 2.8 Nikon zoom and it had a third ring. I guess we will have smooth step-less aperture control with this lens as the Canon, if I am not mistaken. So tell me how many Sony, Pana or Fuji are have thee type of video centric features to their lens line.

2 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

I don't understand that supposed edge in native lens. From everything I have seen the adapted lens worked as good as they did on native F mount cameras. Have people not seen the video from Ricci Talk and BH, one was the 105mm F1.4 and the other 70-200 2.8. The 70-200 2.8 was tracking in very low light in the BH video. I dare to say that after the lens rental review of the build quality of the z7, that the z6 might be more weather proof with the FTZ adapter than Sony cameras. I personally don't know, but can someone tell me how many Sony, Pana or Fuji have in terms of video centric lens (silent, no breathing etc)

The second thing is that Nikon said they were dedicated to video now and the development of the S line of lens was from the ground up done with video in mind. We can already see it with the fast focusing , silent and zero breathing lens they have released. If you think that the treatment they gave to their 24-70 f4  kit lens in terms of video, you can be sure that they were not joking when they said that. Another thing, they already published lens roadmap, by next year we will get nearly the trifecta of Nikon 2.8 zoom and two new f1.8 prime lens plus the f.95 prime. Again I just saw a mock up of the F 2.8 Nikon zoom and it had a third ring. I guess we will have smooth step-less aperture control with this lens as the Canon, if I am not mistaken. So tell me how many Sony, Pana or Fuji are have thee type of video centric features to their lens line.

Where's the mockup of the F2.8 Nikkor zoom? Can't find a picture of that anywhere. 

As for the new Nikkor lenses being made with video in mind, I'd say most of that rings true. However there's a rather obvious elephant in the room with the lens design that needs to be adjusted before the new Z-mount lenses are top notch for video: linear focusing. The focus-by-wire design is still a hinderance for video shooters that prefer to use manual focus over autofocus. 

7 hours ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

Where's the mockup of the F2.8 Nikkor zoom? Can't find a picture of that anywhere. 

As for the new Nikkor lenses being made with video in mind, I'd say most of that rings true. However there's a rather obvious elephant in the room with the lens design that needs to be adjusted before the new Z-mount lenses are top notch for video: linear focusing. The focus-by-wire design is still a hinderance for video shooters that prefer to use manual focus over autofocus. 

I understand your point your point about manual focusing, my guess is that those lens are not necessarily meant for manual focus for movie use. I know it is a sacrilege for some but with those new autofocus, manual focusing might really become a niche thing like in photography.

46112737_10156514270651223_7508810535261962240_o.jpg

1 minute ago, Danyyyel said:

I understand your point your point about manual focusing, my guess is that those lens are not necessarily meant for manual focus for movie use. I know it is a sacrilege for some but with those new autofocus, manual focusing might really become a niche thing like in photography.

46112737_10156514270651223_7508810535261962240_o.jpg

I wouldn't call it sacrilege to say that. I think autofocus is likely bound to take over more and more of the videomaking/filmmaking world as that technology advances. But in the here and now, it's important to meet the manual focus standards for filmmaking with these lenses. Granted, based on the recent interview I saw @DaveAltizer do with Nikon from PhotoKina, it does seem like they're planning to incorporate linear focusing on these lenses soon via firmware update.

Also that zoom looks great! Was that picture from Photokina or one of the other recent camera events?

1 hour ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

I wouldn't call it sacrilege to say that. I think autofocus is likely bound to take over more and more of the videomaking/filmmaking world as that technology advances. But in the here and now, it's important to meet the manual focus standards for filmmaking with these lenses. Granted, based on the recent interview I saw @DaveAltizer do with Nikon from PhotoKina, it does seem like they're planning to incorporate linear focusing on these lenses soon via firmware update.

Also that zoom looks great! Was that picture from Photokina or one of the other recent camera events?

Yep, it would be good, they said they would focus much more on video now and its a priority for them. I hope they do implement some more functionality through firmware update, like a higher 50 mbit 1080p bitrate, 4.2.2 would be prefect (a dream would be 10 bit at this resolution), just for broadcast. The second thing would be some 10-15 second burst  4k 60p would be great , to compete against the new Panasonc or an intermediary size codec like DJI 2.7k or a 3k mode at 60 fps or even burst 120 fps. A squarer mode for anamorphic lens would also be great.

The photo was on a Facebook z6/z7 group, the mockup of the 24-70 and 58mm knoc, have been doing the shows around the world.

@Danyyyel It looks like a pretty nice 24-70mm F2.8, but was not the promise of the super short flange distance, and indeed the current promise of mirrorless, the idea that we would see faster glass? If so, why is this lens an f2.8? Hasn't that been done to death? It's been 17 years since Sigma created the first 24-70mm F2.8,  it's time for a new faster variant in the f2 to f1.8 zoom range. 

8 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

The promise of mirrorless is smaller size and weight, not faster lenses. Humongous, fast lenses were always the option, but who would want to lug around such heavy zooms?

You are clearly not up to speed on your mirrorless promises.... size and weight was the old promise of mirrorless... the new pitch for mirrorless is now faster glass, and more adaptability due to the shorter flange distance. Here is an interview with some Nikon engineers.

23 minutes ago, DBounce said:

@Danyyyel It looks like a pretty nice 24-70mm F2.8, but was not the promise of the super short flange distance, and indeed the current promise of mirrorless, the idea that we would see faster glass? If so, why is this lens an f2.8? Hasn't that been done to death? It's been 17 years since Sigma created the first 24-70mm F2.8,  it's time for a new faster variant in the f2 to f1.8 zoom range. 

Hell, I'd even take a f2-f2.8 Zoom like the old Samsung 16-55mm for starters, just on a full frame level. But it's definitely high time we see more evolution in zoom lenses.

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

You are clearly not up to speed on your mirrorless promises.... size and weight was the old promise of mirrorless... the new pitch for mirrorless is now faster glass, and more adaptability due to the shorter flange distance. Here is an interview with some Nikon engineers.

If 'speed' matters THAT much to you, you will use a f1.4 prime anyway.  And you'll probably never see that speed in a zoom.   If you abslutely need a zoom, there aren't many situations were f2.8 on full frame is going to look flat.