Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

42 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

Have they started releasing them into the wild eventually?...

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/11/05/nikon-z6-coverage-starts-now.aspx/#more-129207

It seems yes, in the video below he has a sample video starting at ISO 1600 to 12 800 that you can download from a link below the video. I think it is over sharpened a bit, he himself says you should decrease sharpness because at default it is too high.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

I have a feeling the Z6 will really shine once companies start making a bunch of adapters for vintage lens mounts to the Z-mount. Pretty sure @Andrew Reid said something similar about his Z7 awhile back when he adapted an older Leica to the camera, right?

I have plenty of AIS/AI lenses that are ready to fit right on the FTZ adaptor, and my 50mm f1.2 will be a lot easier to focus on mirrorless than my DSLR.
Novoflex adaptors are ready already for most mounts, and much cheaper ones will be along as soon as demand ramps up.

Well I may have misspoke regarding the Nikon mirrorless offerings. The Z6 looks pretty dam good to my eyes. The more I see footage from this camera, the more I like it.

Needless to say I ordered one with a selection of lenses to replace the Fuji X-T3’s that I returned. I will add a second body if it pans out. From all I have read build quality is top notch on these cameras. 

The lack of a handgrip with a shutter release bothered me initially, but I can learn to live without it. The new mount seems most impressive. I understand it has the shortest flange distance of any camera on the market. 

Low light is very good from the footage I have seen thus far. Perhaps besting the Z7. It looks clean up to 5000 ISO, and honestly I never go beyond this for video. I like the colors... yes... why yes, I do like the colors. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe we have yet another camera manufacturer that is truly committed to taking video seriously??

Well I may have misspoke regarding the Nikon mirrorless offerings. The Z6 looks pretty dam good to my eyes. The more I see footage from this camera, the more I like it.

Needless to say I ordered one with a selection of lenses to replace the Fuji X-T3’s that I returned. I will add a second body if it pans out. From all I have read build quality is top notch on these cameras. 

The lack of a handgrip with a shutter release bothered me initially, but I can learn to live without it. The new mount seems most impressive. I understand it has the shortest flange distance of any camera on the market. 

Low light is very good from the footage I have seen thus far. Perhaps besting the Z7. It looks clean up to 5000 ISO, and honestly I never go beyond this for video. I like the colors... yes... why yes, I do like the colors. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe we have yet another camera manufacturer that is truly committed to taking video seriously??

High ISO footage:

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

High ISO footage:

Seems to have good iso, dynamic range, color, and auto focus. The face tracking looks to be perfect. The XT3 really needs to improve face tracking, though it is cool that is has it at all in video for the price. 

Anyways the Nikon definitely looks like a real winner and finally some competition for Sony in the Full frame market. 10 bit out is pretty cool too. I am hearing the IBIS is one of the better ones on the market. 

24 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Seems to have good iso, dynamic range, color, and auto focus. The face tracking looks to be perfect. The XT3 really needs to improve face tracking, though it is cool that is has it at all in video for the price. 

Anyways the Nikon definitely looks like a real winner and finally some competition for Sony in the Full frame market. 10 bit out is pretty cool too. I am hearing the IBIS is one of the better ones on the market. 

Its refreshing to see manufacturers that aren't holding back to protect their cinema line. 

I can't see how Sony will not offer 10bit on the A7S3 at this point. Unless they just kill the S as some have suggested. And at this point Canon is looking a little ridiculous for having such an extreme crop in 4k on the Eos R. 

I am very curious about that tiny flange distance. I wonder if it reduces or limits the stops of stabilization possible, especially across the pitch and yaw axis. And especially during walking (Sony does a decent job for stills but a terrible one for walking).

I also think walking movements in video should have its own CIPA Ratings (or whoever else measured it) for Stops of Correction for Movement (different from those for Photo) 

So now we are getting some confirmation that the Z6 is not going to show up with many nasty surprises we are perhaps in a position to write a tally sheet of the pros and cons of the "affordable" full frame video options as currently presented. Sony A7III vs Nikon z6:

Image quality/resolution/dynamic range - similar sensor means there is not a lot to choose here.
Colour science/gradeability - lots of people seem to like what Nikon does here, and 10-bit-to-recorder seems an excellent option, for example, green screen shooting. 8 bit Log internal on Sony seems an advantage but Andrew's Zlog seems a work-around there.
Single card vs dual card - 2 slots nice to have, but not a deal-breaker for video
Auto focus - Nikon, so far, doesn't look disappointing, and demonstrations with adapted f1.4 glass are very encouraging. Eye autofocus is nice, but for video good face AF is probably where we are at. Sony strong here too, so it would be good to have some proper side-by-side tests in tough situations.
Usablility - lots of votes coming on the Nikon side, Sony still not "loved" by many for ergonomics, menu systems, button layouts etc.
Lens options - for Nikon shooters with a big investment in modern glass this is a no-brainer, as the adaptor seems to be very solid. Otherwise, Sony has the lead by some margin. Ironically the killer choice for budget/weight conscious shooters is the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Still not clear whether/when a Z mount version will be available. Still Sony glass is expensive, and F mount glass seems very useable and more available second hand.
Stabilisation - does Nikon have the edge here? More stablized lenses for Sony though.
EVF and back screen - (assuming this is the same as the Z7) - Nikon seems a clear winner, as Sony economised on both of these. For run-and-gun MF shooting, this may be a biggie.
Stills shooting - yes I want to do this too - keeping settings for stills and video separate as the Z series do, seems to make sense. My main question is - can I ditch the DSLR for shooting action/wildlife etc.
Anything else that should be added to the list?

12 hours ago, sanveer said:

I am very curious about that tiny flange distance. I wonder if it reduces or limits the stops of stabilization possible, especially across the pitch and yaw axis. And especially during walking (Sony does a decent job for stills but a terrible one for walking).

I also think walking movements in video should have its own CIPA Ratings (or whoever else measured it) for Stops of Correction for Movement (different from those for Photo) 

It's image stabilisation, not a steady cam.   Image stabilisation is for reducing shaking while you are stood still trying to hold the camera as stable as possible.  Its to give that extra boost of stabilisation to help you out.  It's not there to do the cameraman's job.   It always amuses me how people try to test IS by jumping up and down and sloppily walking down the street.  How do they expect tiny movements within the image circle of the lens to compensate for such large movements?   So silly!