Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

Seemed like a mixed bag. Some third party didn’t work at all (yet), some were almost as good, some worse. The Nikkor 105 f1.4 and 85mm 1.4 performed basically the same. 

Its worth noting that he’s comparing it to one of the fastest AF cameras on the planet. I wish he would have included a Z lens as a baseline for the Z7. Also wonder how it would compare to older cameras like the D800/D700/D610 et c. 

Mirrorless has come a long way to even be comparable to a new DSLR. Still some ways to go. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great to see a first test being done but I am not to sure how real world this scenario is. What he is doing should've done in a scientific way. Let's say it snaps focus in 0.1 second and z7 in 0.2sec, I wonder how much is feeling in this and how much is relation.

Some shooters might wildly jump focus from infinity to closeup while demanding milisec snapping, for me something like constant af is much more important...one could also say this has something to do with good technique, pre focusing and so on...

4 hours ago, Castorp said:

Seemed like a mixed bag. Some third party didn’t work at all (yet), some were almost as good, some worse. The Nikkor 105 f1.4 and 85mm 1.4 performed basically the same. 

Its worth noting that he’s comparing it to one of the fastest AF cameras on the planet. I wish he would have included a Z lens as a baseline for the Z7. Also wonder how it would compare to older cameras like the D800/D700/D610 et c. 

Mirrorless has come a long way to even be comparable to a new DSLR. Still some ways to go. 

This is the big thing, everybody is comparing it to the D850 best in class AF. I mean it is better than anything except the D5 and perhaps Cano 1dx in the whole wide camera world. Now some would say it is Nikon pricing, but if does the D850 has nearly full frame AF coverage, which would make z7 a much better camera for studio, landscape, portrait work. I could even add for general people photography where you don't have to recompose everytime. Then you can add the video, video AF, IBIS etc which are either very bad or not even present on the D850.

8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

We don't know, a millimeter might make a big difference in IBIS, the other thing that I think is more important is the perhaps the mount size and flange distance, the rays are supposed to be straighter when hitting the sensor, so sensor has to move less could be another reason. That's just speculation, but in the end from some report it works much better than the Sony. 

7 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

We don't know, a millimeter might make a big difference in IBIS, the other thing that I think is more important is the perhaps the mount size and flange distance, the rays are supposed to be straighter when hitting the sensor, so sensor has to move less could be another reason. That's just speculation, but in the end from some report it works much better than the Sony. 

All I said was Nikon’s IBIS I shaker moves less than Sony’s. Time to take my Xanax.

16 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nice idea, but would have been more useful if he'd filmed off the HDMI feed to show the AF working, rather than film himself holding the cameras and putting up a rating out of 10.

Not if outputting HDMI restricts AF, like it does on my A7III (no face detect when using a monitor). And I believe the GH5 AF is worse with HDMI being used, too.

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, aldolega said:

Not if outputting HDMI restricts AF, like it does on my A7III (no face detect when using a monitor). And I believe the GH5 AF is worse with HDMI being used, too.

Evertime Fro does an AF test and records the viewfinder he gets 1000 comments saying that it jeopardized the test. So I can understand why one chooses not to even if it didn't slow down the AF.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, jonpais said:

Deceptive practices?

I have a request Jon, can you stop leading people down these rabbit-hole style URLs with just one or two words underlined. It's going to get the forum flagged by Google's spider as poor SEO or spam. It's frustrating for us as well, because we click the link out of curiosity and then find it completely irrelevant. So if you're going to link to other sites, explain what it is you're linking to and paste the URL in separately so we can see what site we'll be lead out to.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

Stabilisation is not just down to how the sensor moves, it is also about the quality of motion detection and how rapidly the data is processed and fed back to the sensor. Maybe Nikon is onto the next generation on that side of the equation? 

Admit it - you just wanted to post that picture again for the fourth time. ?

On 10/13/2018 at 10:19 AM, DBounce said:

The future is electronic. A sensor only has a couple of millimeters it can possibly physically move. 

The issue with electronic stabilization (as I'm sure you're aware) is the motion blur in each frame. One possible solution would be image stacking. With improved frame rates each of the 30 frames a second could be composed of 10 images aligned and combined to user specifications to acheive the appropriate level of motion blur. Or we could just use high framerate clips to reduce the problem.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:13 AM, Geoff CB said:

By the footage is seems to have at least as good image quality as the Z7. Rolling shutter seems better, definitely my next camera

there's a shot in the first one at 2:39, with the sun in shot, sky overexposed. Highlight rolloff looks very good.

I wants it now.  Wah!

On 10/25/2018 at 11:57 AM, gethin said:

there's a shot in the first one at 2:39, with the sun in shot, sky overexposed. Highlight rolloff looks very good.

I wants it now.  Wah!

It seems inevitable that the full frame video should be better than the Z7 (so long as rolling shutter is not too bad, though at least we have stabilisation), so lets hope it doesn't screw up somewhere, like slow-mo or AF. I am not saying there is no point comparing the Z7 to the A7III, but the relevant comparison will be the Z6. The Z7 tips towards those whose priority is still photography.

• 2 weeks later...