Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am one of  this these coal mine shooters mz favorite lens would be 10-200 f0.95 on ff. I work with night googles on so I can see what I am shooting. I usually fall to dust once light hits me surfacing, sorry had to get that out my system. 

Jokes aside, nikkor 24-120 f4 is a good money making machine...

11 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

F4 on full frame is pretty good tbh, for most situations. Especially when you can use 6400 and 12800 iso.

One of the biggest advantage of Full Frame for me is that you can use those super versatile F4 zoom on your camera for 99% of the shots. I intend to get the 24-70 F4 which will cover 80-90% of normal use when you counter in APSC mode. Something like the 24-120 Nikon would be a 24-180 with the Apsc mode and would cover 99% of my need for reportage shooting. The big advantage is that F4 on a full frame is like f 2.8 35mm cinema dof, so you still have plenty of shallow DOF. The second advantage is shooting in LOG format which is generally 800 ISO. To get proper ND to shoot at these high ISO during daytime is very very costly. You would need to close down your aperture again to at least F4 and F5.6 and the Full frame would again get you better DOF control.

Nice, thats the guy who did Nikon music video, shoulder rest rig, no stab. What I like is the rack focus in some of those shots, very organic.

Nice

21 hours ago, Emanuel said:

why I am just looking for Z7 Mark II?

4K/60fps. We might call it obsession. I'd rather see it as mandatory instead. As you know, I am not alone on that one, isn't it?

Not alone indeed. However, forget about Z7 mk2 coming in 3-4 years. 

We will get this next year for sure, with Panasonic, Sony and maybe others (canon still did not release their $3000+ Eos R, even though chances are for a FF canon mirorless doing 4K60p no crop we might have to wait 5 years :) )

29 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Not alone indeed. However, forget about Z7 mk2 coming in 3-4 years. 

We will get this next year for sure, with Panasonic, Sony and maybe others (canon still did not release their $3000+ Eos R, even though chances are for a FF canon mirorless doing 4K60p no crop we might have to wait 5 years :) )

I called it a miss. No 4K/60p today makes no sense at all. Not even through HDMI output? C'mon... Even GoPro and smartphones have it in-camera!

Something we have in common, pal, we both pursue the ideal cam, hard to come though LOL : )

My best bet is the X-H2 to bring IBIS coupled to the upcoming fastest mirrorless lens: 33mm f/1 (f/1.7 in 35mm terms); without mention a kit formed by 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/2 & 50-140mm f/2.8 (not bad at longer end for a tele zoom) plus the 1.4x teleconverter, all that along 2019-20.

+1 for @webrunner5s post.

I side some testing of different apertures vs depth and discovered that I only need F4 equivalent to get the look I'm going for.

I also made a few videos at F2.8 equivalent and many shots were too blurred.

I'd recommend to anyone that they test out different settings and see what works for them. On FF going to F4 from F2.8 means the lens is smaller, lighter, cheaper and if it's a zoom is probably longer and also has OIS.

39 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The Z7 does so the presumption as its a function of the adapter rather than the camera would be that the Z6 would too.

Ken Rockwell has a handy guide here 

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/mirrorless/lenses/ftz.htm

You would think so but ai/ai-s lenses will meter on the D7200 but not on the D5500... so who knows what goofy limitation Nikon will do. 

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, mercer said:

You would think so but ai/ai-s lenses will meter on the D7200 but not on the D5500... so who knows what goofy limitation Nikon will do. 

In this case I think any magic (such as it is)  happens in the adapter though and happens before the camera so there shouldn't be any difference between the two bodies.

But yeah, famous last words and all that ;)

EDIT>>

This fella on DPReview has given us confirmation that at least one AI-S lens works !

777618597_ScreenShot2018-10-02at14_08_07.png.4dcf22de0724b3f7251bbc55e995c0c2.png

On 10/1/2018 at 8:47 PM, Emanuel said:

I called it a miss. No 4K/60p today makes no sense at all. Not even through HDMI output? C'mon... Even GoPro and smartphones have it in-camera!

Something we have in common, pal, we both pursue the ideal cam, hard to come though LOL : )

My best bet is the X-H2 to bring IBIS coupled to the upcoming fastest mirrorless lens: 33mm f/1 (f/1.7 in 35mm terms); without mention a kit formed by 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/2 & 50-140mm f/2.8 (not bad at longer end for a tele zoom) plus the 1.4x teleconverter, all that along 2019-20.

Yeah.. but see my recent post in the new Z7 review post from Andrew. 

Provleme is that all cameras have compromise. No 4K60p with canon and Nikon 

no FF and no IBIS with Fuji 

no good AF with Panasonic... 

always a compromise. 

FF is important for me not for video but stills. I am ok having two cameras now but preferably same system like A7SIII for video and a7iii for stills. If I get Fuji for video, I have to buy let’s say a Z6 for stills and carry 2 times different lenses and learn 2 ergonomics on the go : not cool. 

If only Z6 had 4K60p I would have bought a Z6 + Z7 and be done with it. 

So my best bet will probably be A7 III and A7SIII combo... let’s see next year in the meantime I might get the Fuji for upcoming video projects and sell it next year. 

I am so tired to change system every year just because there is no 4k60p FF with good AF and IBIS in market... 

On 10/4/2018 at 2:03 AM, wolf33d said:

Yeah.. but see my recent post in the new Z7 review post from Andrew. 

Provleme is that all cameras have compromise. No 4K60p with canon and Nikon 

no FF and no IBIS with Fuji 

no good AF with Panasonic... 

always a compromise. 

FF is important for me not for video but stills. I am ok having two cameras now but preferably same system like A7SIII for video and a7iii for stills. If I get Fuji for video, I have to buy let’s say a Z6 for stills and carry 2 times different lenses and learn 2 ergonomics on the go : not cool. 

If only Z6 had 4K60p I would have bought a Z6 + Z7 and be done with it. 

So my best bet will probably be A7 III and A7SIII combo... let’s see next year in the meantime I might get the Fuji for upcoming video projects and sell it next year. 

I am so tired to change system every year just because there is no 4k60p FF with good AF and IBIS in market... 

Just wait another year and I bet the mk2 from Nikon will bring you the 4K 60fps 

• Super Members

The Z7 is in stock here. They are few at the time but at least one store per day seems to have one or two. The Z6 might be more popular though. But we have also had no shortage of the D850. How is the Nikon distribution situation in Asia, Australia, Africa, etc? Anyone with local knowledge? 

The Nikon distribution is a bit of a mystery. Even the rumor sites haven't been able to get an answer to why the US didn't get a decent stock of the D850.