Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I think we can safely put aside concerns about AF with a huge range of existing Nikon glass. That makes it a whole notch more exciting.

Sticks like glue. Dual Pixel AF finally gets knocked off top spot?

Frustrating thing is nobody seems to have a Z6!

If that has the same AF engine in video mode then it will make sense to wait.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, jonpais said:

Color reproduction ranking

This should ruffle some feathers. ?

Thanks Jon, that's very interesting and also quite useful.  I had a quick scan and noticed that the Canons I looked at had similar 'errors' so the test seems reliable, and this means that for colour grading I think this holds some useful information for getting 'those canon colours' or colours from Nikon and others. Everyone knows they change the colours to look flattering or give a nice subjective look but the actual details are never discussed, which means we can't learn from them.

I'll devote further study to this for sure!

41 minutes ago, kye said:

Thanks Jon, that's very interesting and also quite useful.  I had a quick scan and noticed that the Canons I looked at had similar 'errors' so the test seems reliable, and this means that for colour grading I think this holds some useful information for getting 'those canon colours' or colours from Nikon and others. Everyone knows they change the colours to look flattering or give a nice subjective look but the actual details are never discussed, which means we can't learn from them.

I'll devote further study to this for sure!

Yeah I think the playing field has leveled in the last few years on color. Everyone seems to be copping Canon color, maybe even surpassing them as of late. I think the new Venice color is more Canon'ish than Canon to be honest.

2 hours ago, Simon Young said:

It might sound desperate but I’m praying Nikon doesn’t fuck up with the Z6, crippling it’s continuous autofocus somehow just because it’s the cheaper model. If it’s on par with the Z7, I’ll buy it on release day :)

Loving he motion cadence as well!

Can't judge Z with this one.. the atteractiveness of the girl makes a heavy bias. 

4 hours ago, Simon Young said:

It might sound desperate but I’m praying Nikon doesn’t fuck up with the Z6, crippling it’s continuous autofocus somehow just because it’s the cheaper model. If it’s on par with the Z7, I’ll buy it on release day :)

My fingers are crossed they're just two cameras with two different sensor resolutions, with no surprising crippling of the Z6.

I don't think Nikon has done much of the way in "surprise crippling" have they? Look at the D5 vs D500, kinda is two cameras but with different sensors in it. They didn't really hold back on the D500 did they? 

And that is what I really want to see, a DX mirrorless! Hopefully comes out this summer (or "winter" as you guys call it), as I'd still probably have to wait another 6 months after then for grey market prices to soften.

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

This is straight up magic.

When the cyclist disappeared between those leaves but it stayed in focus... whoa

31 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

And that is what I really want to see, a DX mirrorless! Hopefully comes out this summer (or "winter" as you guys call it), as I'd still probably have to wait another 6 months after then for grey market prices to soften.

Nikon are "overdue" to even give some indication what their future "DX" plan is.They will need something pretty special to even match

the video abilities of Fuji's new X-T3.

3 minutes ago, Aussie Ash said:

Nikon are "overdue" to even give some indication what their future "DX" plan is.They will need something pretty special to even match

the video abilities of Fuji's new X-T3.

Honestly think they have mostly given up on it. Sensor costs are going down, they don't have the money to spend on developing the DX lenses and FX. It does not benefit them enough financially, especially in a mirrorless body.

Exactly! Even if they feel they don't have anything (sad! But oh well) to put in a new D3x00 they still feel compelled to update it to a "new" model! As those Christmas buyers want to buy the "latest" DSLR! Can't have an "old" camera competing against the latest shiny new Rebel from Canon! 

18 minutes ago, Aussie Ash said:

just in time to discount those D3400s for XMas

And yes, gives them an excuse to discount their "old" model! So those extreme bargain hunters have something to latch onto as well.

I'll be disappointed though if their next D5x00 doesn't get 4K! Even if just a basic 4K mode like in the D7500

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

My fingers are crossed they're just two cameras with two different sensor resolutions, with no surprising crippling of the Z6.

I don't think Nikon has done much of the way in "surprise crippling" have they? Look at the D5 vs D500, kinda is two cameras but with different sensors in it. They didn't really hold back on the D500 did they?

Other than the sensor, the main difference in between the Z6 & Z7 is the AF system: Z7 has 493 phase detect points vs 273 on the Z6.

It would appear on paper that with half the PDAF points, the Z6 AF could be significantly less accurate.

10 minutes ago, Django said:

Other than the sensor, the main difference in between the Z6 & Z7 is the AF system: Z7 has 493 phase detect points vs 273 on the Z6.

It would appear on paper that with half the PDAF points, the Z6 AF could be significantly less accurate.

I think it has more to do with acquisition rate and the algorithm than the sheer amount of the points.