Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Good news Geoff!!

So the F mount adapter is pretty good then? Do you have the 58mm F1.4G?

The adapter is better than I expected, because of the wide Z-mount the adapter slopes towards the lens, makes it seem very very sturdy. It was clearly designed to be on the camera for extended periods of time. My voigtlander lenses were recognized and stabilized through the mount, which is very nice.

I tried the 58mm on it, creamy stabilized goodness :) . AF wasn't silent but usable with shotgun I think, smooth.  Unfortunately we were not allowed to keep the footage or images we shot :(

Also tried the Sigma 105mm 1.4. That is a insanely large lens. Not a fan of it. It did not focus well with the adapter. For still it was barely usable, video was a no-go. Seems native Nikon glass works the best. 

Wish they had it, but was unable to try out the 105 1.4 Nikon.

geoffcbassett_allens2 .jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Simon Young said:

This german speaking dude has done the most extensive testing of the Z7 so far. He put the camera to work during two weeks. The talking head part in this video is shot with the S-lens, 35mm at f2.0. Focus sticks to his face like glue. It’s shot without an ND filter, hence the wonky motion cadence, in auto white balance and standard color (not flat).

He says he prefers the Canon and Fuji skin tones but that the Nikon is probably more accurate but that this footage might look strange because he’s very sunburnt after climbing mountains in Switzerland.

He’s praising the view finder and the lcd-screen, very responsive it seems, but he’s not too keen on the size of the house (too small) the size of the glass (too big albeit very sharp) and he’s very disappointed that there are no separate video settings - it’s cumbersome to constantly change exposure settings manually between video and stills

Other than that he overall thinks it’s a very fun camera to use, but in the end suggests those who are not invested in the Nikon system to wait for next generation.

Looking at the 'mode dial' on the Z7, I see there are U1, U2, and U3 available for custom settings. So presumably it is easy to say set one for 4k video and one to 1080 slo mo. Then it becomes easy to switch between stills and video.

• Administrators
On 9/14/2018 at 11:57 PM, Geoff CB said:

The adapter is better than I expected, because of the wide Z-mount the adapter slopes towards the lens, makes it seem very very sturdy. It was clearly designed to be on the camera for extended periods of time. My voigtlander lenses were recognized and stabilized through the mount, which is very nice.

I tried the 58mm on it, creamy stabilized goodness :) . AF wasn't silent but usable with shotgun I think, smooth.  Unfortunately we were not allowed to keep the footage or images we shot :(

Also tried the Sigma 105mm 1.4. That is a insanely large lens. Not a fan of it. It did not focus well with the adapter. For still it was barely usable, video was a no-go. Seems native Nikon glass works the best. 

Wish they had it, but was unable to try out the 105 1.4 Nikon.

geoffcbassett_allens2 .jpg

Looks sweet with that tiny Voigltander.

I would rather shoot with this any day than a Pocket 4K.

What do people think the audience notices most - full frame look, or raw?

I'd say, if you're good at grading LOG, they'll notice the full frame look more.

So why go through the pain of shitty battery life, limited ergonomics and missing EVF on the Pocket when you can get a Z6 at around the same time for $700 more?

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Looks sweet with that tiny Voigltander.

I would rather shoot with this any day than a Pocket 4K.

What do people think the audience notices most - full frame look, or raw?

I'd say, if you're good at grading LOG, they'll notice the full frame look more.

So why go through the pain of shitty battery life, limited ergonomics and missing EVF on the Pocket when you can get a Z6 at around the same time for $700 more?

If active D-lighting works in 10bit it could be pretty impressive...

Raw is unnecessary for 95% of the people on here... as is ProRes really. IBIS is definitely a more relevant feature for a videographer.

With that being said, I’d love for one of the major manufacturers to license ProResLT, I just watched a few videos online from the Ursa Mini 4K, since it can be had for about the same price as a kitted P4K, and the ProResLT videos looked amazing... for web consumption at least. Since ProRes is less processor intensive than an h.264 codec, it would have been a great move for Canon if they are indeed having heat dissipation issues.

To add, I am very intrigued with the Z6 and the 10bit external. I’m probably going to pick up a BMVA this Fall, for a project, does the Z6 output 10bit 1080 as well, or is it just 4K?

11 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

I'm sure you guys can grade better, but I loved the footage

https://vimeo.com/290295765

That's some impressive looking footage, but there looked to be some serious stuck white pixels in the night shots.  I hope they get that ironed out in the final version.   It's such a PITA to have to kill those in a lot of shots.  Giving me flashbacks from the 5DmkII.

30 minutes ago, Towd said:

That's some impressive looking footage, but there looked to be some serious stuck white pixels in the night shots. 

That was specifically mentioned in the notes of the video by the uploader, that he had some stuck pixels but that is because he had a very early pre production model. So this is of no great concern to me. 

5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

That was specifically mentioned in the notes of the video by the uploader, that he had some stuck pixels but that is because he had a very early pre production model. So this is of no great concern to me. 

There is a lot I like in what I'm seeing with this camera.  And the skin tones look pretty solid in torchlight and daylight.   Hopefully the rolling shutter isn't too bad even if it takes going to the crop mode to control it.

I just absolutely hate dealing with stuck pixels.  So hopefully you are right and it will be fixed for the final release.  Just something that really popped out to me even if it was being shot at high ISOs.  I may wait until I see some more tests before pulling the trigger.  But nice to see some Z6 footage.