Nikon F

Canon FD

Canon EF

Pentax K

Minolta MC/MD

Leica M

Leica R

Contax G lenses and many more besides.

There will likely  be adapters allowing MF for various mounts for the Z pretty soon but I am not so sure there will be AF adapters for them anytime soon.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sooooo judging from the 50 or so clips I’ve managed find showcasing the Nikon Z7 in video all I can see is a great image with brilliant autofocus, especially the face detection. And if you expose it correctly it almost looks like Kodachrome in motion.

Nikon USA has also confirmed the 4K internal bitrate to 144mbps, not 100 as previously reported.

• Administrators

It's a great image but like the D850 there is the tiniest of moire / aliasing on full frame wide angle shots in 4K

Very detailed though and superb colour.

It might pay to wait 2 months for the Z6 especially as it's so much cheaper.

Full Taiwanese review here

https://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail/26796/nikon-z7?utm_source=youtube&utm_campaign=videoseo&utm_content=5567307

Masses of info, if you use Google Translate.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's a great image but like the D850 there is the tiniest of moire / aliasing on full frame wide angle shots in 4K

Very detailed though and superb colour.

It might pay to wait 2 months for the Z6 especially as it's so much cheaper.

Full Taiwanese review here

https://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail/26796/nikon-z7?utm_source=youtube&utm_campaign=videoseo&utm_content=5567307

Masses of info, if you use Google Translate.

I was going to post that video, for me what it also shows is what I would call normal panning and how it works for rolling shutter. If we make abstraction about the fast shutter speed look, its looks ok to me and more encouraging for the lower megapixel z6.

• Administrators

Yes N-LOG is external only, so no internal LOG recording like a Sony, which is a bit silly. However the Flat profile is excellent.

Nikon's reasoning is that you need 10bit for LOG and an Atomos. I'm not so sure. Canon LOG works pretty well in 8bit doesn't it?

12 hours ago, noone said:

The Nikon Z cameras can currently take-

Nikon Z lenses

Nikon F lenses.

The Sony E mount cameras can currently take-

Sony E

Sony A

Nikon F

Canon FD

Canon EF

Pentax K

Minolta MC/MD

Leica M

Leica R

Contax G lenses and many more besides.

There will likely  be adapters allowing MF for various mounts for the Z pretty soon but I am not so sure there will be AF adapters for them anytime soon.

I sort of meant the entire Nikon lenses should work almost as native with the adapter - video AF being a key part of what's important.

I noticed in those last 2 clips the ibis while panning would stick and jump a bit, like on my 85mm 1.4 IS canon lens sometimes. Do you think there will be settings for the ibis where you can get it to stop freaking out during panning like there is on expensive IS lenses? 

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes N-LOG is external only, so no internal LOG recording like a Sony, which is a bit silly. However the Flat profile is excellent.

Nikon's reasoning is that you need 10bit for LOG and an Atomos. I'm not so sure. Canon LOG works pretty well in 8bit doesn't it?

Sure does.  That C100 II LOG is easy to grade and looks amazing.  Sad to hear this, but if they have a flat profile I think I'll be ok.  Going to buy my first Nikon ever and I'm almost 45 (two weeks away..:)

Unless of course the a7sIII has a flip out screen and does 4k60.  Then I'll be as confused as ever.  I did buy your Sony color profile - I just can't ever get the colors how I like them.

• Administrators

I am sure N-LOG will only give a slight bit more dynamic range, and is that worth the hassle of a wobbly HDMI cable and big brick on your small mirrorless camera? For me not. The Nikon Flat profile on the D850 is a thing of beauty, trust me on that :)

Sony need to do a bit more than 4K60 on the A7S III for me to fall in love with it. Electronic ND and ergonomic overhaul maybe. The colour side I have no problem with any more, very happy with what I get from EOSHD Pro Color with it vs my 1D X II.

35 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

Sure does.  That C100 II LOG is easy to grade and looks amazing.  

I always hear people say this but I found the log profile and the codec on that camera to be well below my expectation. The Nikon d5500 flat profile I found to have the same or better dynamic range when doing comparisons.  Although the c100 was sharper, especially in low light. 

18 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

I always hear people say this but I found the log profile and the codec on that camera to be well below my expectation. The Nikon d5500 flat profile I found to have the same or better dynamic range when doing comparisons.  Although the c100 was sharper, especially in low light. 

I owned a couple of them and shot a ton with them.  I was always happy with how easy I could get the footage to look how I wanted.

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Canon LOG is one of the best.

However part of the reason the C100 looks sharper than the D5500 is because it has quite a bit of aliasing and false detail. If you take the Samsung NX1's 4K image and downscale it to match the C100, you'll be quite shocked at how bad the C100 is.

I think the D5500 has a lovely mojo for the price but the Flat profile looks the best on the D850 by far... Very beefy codec.

I think Nikon thinks that Flat as Canon Clog with its 12 stop DR is about the best you can fit in a 8 bit file. I have seen example where the Nikon flat profile compared favorably with Clog and one of the members here did a test against the BMCC with its 13 stop DR. The strange thing is than Nikon claims the NLOG is only 12 stop. For me they are very very conservative  in  communication like with the fiasco of the battery life. They could have said 600-1000 photos (it is even more) from normal use and then write 300 cipa in small LOL. It would have been much closer to reality and not some folks who have never use the camera or only use it for 2 hours at the launch running arround claiming everywhere that it is only 300 photos. There  was a Nlog file posted and it looked very very clean at 800 iso, perhaps they are measuring at very very low level of noise in the shadows.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am sure N-LOG will only give a slight bit more dynamic range, and is that worth the hassle of a wobbly HDMI cable and big brick on your small mirrorless camera? For me not. The Nikon Flat profile on the D850 is a thing of beauty, trust me on that :)

Sony need to do a bit more than 4K60 on the A7S III for me to fall in love with it. Electronic ND and ergonomic overhaul maybe. The colour side I have no problem with any more, very happy with what I get from EOSHD Pro Color with it vs my 1D X II.

Perhaps, a stop more, it would put it between, 12 to 14 stop depending different people measurement. Again the 10 bit and LOG format would put these format in the high-end shoot that needs to have some serious grading and would be really necessary for 10% shoots. The other 90%, will be more than enough with 8bit(I somewhat would have loved internal 10 bit) and Flat profile.

I'll go for the z6 with the non-binned FF 4k.  Not thrilled with their native lens options, but sure love the videos I'm seeing so far.  Hate the 1 card slot, but hey - I can't do 1.0x - 1.8x crop in 4k.  It'll be a great "for fun" camera to play with for $2k.  Just wish they'd make it available already...:)

Oh, and thank you Andrew Reid for hosting this site and having a great thread to read more about all this gear on.  We (I) may not say it enough, but we appreciate what you do for the community....