Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Skin tones are all over the map, from green to yellow to magenta.

yeah that opening shot is outside, I wouldn't put too much store in it. SHe's getting blue shadows from the sky, which can also make skin go magenta (the gh5 goes obscenely magenta in this case!) And in the log example she's getting lit from a pink building, with blue sky fill.

Where she's in direct sunlight the skin tones look pretty good to my eye, although she has olive skin by the looks of it, which is a flattering tone to start with ?

one more thing: my d5300 spoilt me for colour grading.  I couldn't believe how much more work I had to do to my gh5 shots. Do I get a nicer image?  Of course! Is it infinitely better to shoot with: Dur! But I had about 5 lumetri presets with my D5300 and I could just chuck one of them on, and go:PEACHY!, NEXT!  WIth the GH5 I usually go: BLURGH! Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle...

I'd love to get back to something approaching that first workflow.  And then get a BMPCC4K for special occasions ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Lol

sorry for the typo, obviously meant f1.8 primes, not f8.

@jonpais 

yeah of course, MTF is quite different from an actual photograph, but they might actually be incredible lenses, as is indicated. To me this is more exciting than an f0.95 or extreme new specs. “The worlds best 50mm” the apo 50 f2, is a summicron, not a summilux. 

9 hours ago, jonpais said:

I think Nikon should release some f/8 primes too! :)  

Forget the computer-generated MTF charts: none of the videos released yet convince me the new S line lenses are in any way superior to what I'm seeing with the Sony G or Voigtlanders.

You are looking for sharpness in a video, you mean 4k video at best which is 8 megapixel while the z7 can do 45 megapixel...

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

Skin tones are all over the map, from green to yellow to magenta.

Yes, if you watch the video you will see that he used different picture profil, and in the case of the Nlog, he clearly could have underexposed by 1 or 2 stop and prevent the white building from clipping in the background. It Italy in summer and she is in the shadows with a whte building behind. It looks quite good to capture that much DR.

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

Please explain. 

It is self explanatory, nearly any 10-20 year lens are at least good enough to resolve a 8 megapixel image (4k video). But those lens will show their true potential in still photography because you have much higher megapixel, is that hard to understand?

26 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Yes, if you watch the video you will see that he used different picture profil, and in the case of the Nlog, he clearly could have underexposed by 1 or 2 stop and prevent the white building from clipping in the background. It Italy in summer and she is in the shadows with a whte building behind. It looks quite good to capture that much DR.

Dixie Dixon is a She not a he LoL. She is the blond holding the camera all the time in the video. Dixie Dixon is a Nikon Ambassador, one of 16 I believe.

9 hours ago, jonpais said:

The Dixie Dixon video is nice and all, but I'm not seeing anything to write home about as far as skin tones go. Seeing a lot of out-of-focus shots as well.

Sony, no color correction in post.

I think you Need Cataract Surgery Jon. ?  The video looks damn good to me. Oh, and I have had mine removed.

25 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Dixie Dixon is a She not a he LoL. She is the blond holding the camera all the time in the video. Dixie Dixon is a Nikon Ambassador, one of 16 I believe.

I think you Need Cataract Surgery Jon. ?  The video looks damn good to me. Oh, and I have had mine removed.

He's not referring to the Dixie Dixon video, but the one from Italy.

I'm sure the Canon will sell well, but no IBIS makes it DOA for me. Nikon will have all the bases covered by the end of next year if the lens roadmap becomes a reality. 

Hopefully we see more of the Z6 soon, I find it far more interesting than the Z7. 

Next up is Panasonic, but the way they pretend PDAF doesn't exist leaves me a little doubtful about the AF compared to others.

Chris

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@Danyyyel I wasn't just talking about resolution; and no, just any lens from the past twenty years is not good enough for 4K video. I've reviewed one or two lenses in my day, and they all have their individual character. And some are sharper than others.

MTF and lens resolution are not the end all be all of what makes a good lens or if it has some charater or not. What it is, is a quantifiable measure that can give you a hint that it is good or bad, it is the same as a car that can do 0-60 in less than4 second, you know it must be very fast.

7 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

MTF and lens resolution are not the end all be all of what makes a good lens or if it has some charater or not. What it is, is a quantifiable measure that can give you a hint that it is good or bad, it is the same as a car that can do 0-60 in less than4 second, you know it must be very fast.

If you bothered to read my comment, I said I was not only referring to resolution, though you can certainly see the difference between high res and lo res glass in 4K. The car analogy makes little sense to me BTW.