Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

32 minutes ago, hansel said:

@IronFilmwould you suggest to to kill two flies in one go if I get the BM 4K assist that seems to have reasonable audio recording, phantom power, mini xlr ....as well?

It has "reasonable" audio recording? I wouldn't have thought that
But depends on how you define "reasonable"

Also my personal preference that 7" is too big for a camera operate, that 7" is the right size for an AC or a portable director's monitor. 

While 5" is the sweet spot for a cam op

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Down toward the bottom compares the Z6 to a Sony A7 mk III, Z7 to a Sony A7r III . All are 100 mbps. 10 bit external defiantly will help, but I can't help think the Sony XAVC S Codec is a better Codec than Nikon has. Will be interesting shoot outs.

http://www.australianphotography.com/gear/nikon-steps-into-full-frame-mirrorless-with-new-z6-and-z7-cameras

11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'm sure if we give it a little time, then we'll soon enough find those unholy Canon EF to Nikon Z adapters! Complete with a sample of Holy Water to sprinkle over your (waterproofed) Nikon Z6/Z7 camera before mounting on it a Canon lens. 

Being that Nikon are keeping specs under wraps and this is a very modern mount, it seems like we may be waiting for some time. I won't be getting my hopes up any time soon. 

6 hours ago, hansel said:

would you suggest to to kill two flies in one go if I get the BM 4K assist that seems to have reasonable audio recording, phantom power, mini xlr ....as well?

I think people are confused about the N-Log compatibility - The BMVA4K should have no issues. It's at most a build in LUT on the Atomos. You will surely be able to add a LUT to the BM. 

I have a Shogun and both the 5" and 7" BM. The Shogun has the advantage of using cheaper and faster media. The BMVA4K has dual slots, which makes up for the Nikon's lack of dual slots (for video). The BM uses the smaller Canon batteries while the Shogun uses the larger Sony L series. Overall I prefer the build and balance of the BM once set up (with batteries etc attached. The screen is brighter for sure on the newer Atomos models, but I am not convinced it makes enough of a difference for me. I had the Ninja Flame, but it wasn't bright enough in many conditions. Obviously the Ninja V is a lot smaller and I definitely prefer the smaller form factor of my 5" BMVA, it then loses XLRs, dual media and dual batteries and no options for SDI etc. 

Ninja V does have that accessory port, which may add SDI or XLR in the future which could be really interesting. 

A 4K BMVA 5" with dual card slots would be the perfect setup, if only they made such a thing. 

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It has "reasonable" audio recording? I wouldn't have thought that
But depends on how you define "reasonable"

Reasonable for bread and butter work. Not good enough to replace a dedicated sound person when you should really have one. 

Almost certain to be more 'reasonable' than the built in audio. Much better than the complete lack of Audio my 1DC does over HDMI. 

1 hour ago, MdB said:

Much better than the complete lack of Audio my 1DC does over HDMI

From the 1DC manual.

"If you connect the camera to a TV set (zp.273, 276) and shoot a movie, the TV will not output any sound during the shooting. However, the sound will be properly recorded."

Yep no sound. I always thought that was a WTF, in slow motion, looking to the side, moment.

11 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yep no sound. I always thought that was a WTF, in slow motion, looking to the side, moment.

SO annoying and something I completely forgot about when getting the BMVA 5" (which is otherwise my preferred option). Coming from their other C series that camera feels so backwards. 

23 minutes ago, MdB said:

SO annoying and something I completely forgot about when getting the BMVA 5" (which is otherwise my preferred option). Coming from their other C series that camera feels so backwards. 

Yeah but a lot of people made a lot of money shooting on one. They still have a pretty amazing output to this day.

Very interesting for behind the scene experience in video, my surprise when I saw so much drone shot and thought why did they use so much drone shot in a video about Nikon. LOL. Overall colours etc seems very good. He talks a lot about stabilization in video which he says is very very good, he also says autofocus was very good even if he did not know too much what he was doing.

That's the final shot.

27 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Very interesting for behind the scene experience in video, my surprise when I saw so much drone shot and thought why did they use so much drone shot in a video about Nikon. LOL. Overall colours etc seems very good. He talks a lot about stabilization in video which he says is very very good, he also says autofocus was very good even if he did not know too much what he was doing.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:12 AM, wolf33d said:

well there is an American company called black magic and guess what? They give us 4K60p raw for less money. They are just too video Focused. I wished they made mirorless FF hybrids.

Blackmagic Design is an Australian company.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:04 PM, Django said:

You must have joined the party late.. as this forum's moniker still indicates.. at a certain point everybody was shooting with it. ;) 

The forum's moniker was intended to honour the 5D2 antedated the 5D3 by some years. In fact by the time the 5D3 came along the forum was already becoming obsessed with M43 cameras especially the hacked GH2.

^ well aware of all that.. fact remains 5D3 was a staple in the video world.. and imo had a much much bigger impact than GH2 outside the walls of forums.

thanks for sharing that Danyyyel, some really nice footage in that video, especially considering it's the Z7, 1080p and was all shot internally with the S lenses!

On 8/25/2018 at 5:10 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I'd go as far as to say that if Canon's mirrorless retains the EF mount so can offer a genuine swap out replacement for their DSLR's then Nikon will have a big problem.

It would cause Nikon a big problem but is it likely? They designed the new EF-M mount for their APS-C mirrorless while the established EF & EF-S can be used with an adaptor.

• Super Members
33 minutes ago, nigelbb said:

It would cause Nikon a big problem but is it likely? They designed the new EF-M mount for their APS-C mirrorless while the established EF & EF-S can be used with an adaptor.

There are currently (at least) two theories doing the rounds.

The first is the Canon will be launching two differerent models (not simumtaneously) with one being a thinned out one as per what Nikon has done with a non-EF mount and the other being a de-mirrored DSLR style one with an EF mount.

The second theory is that their irrespective of build type their FF mirrorless cameras will contain the new hybrid mount that they filed the patent for in Japan which can seemingly accommodate both EF-M and EF mount lenses.

Canon have been selling mirrorless cameras (albeit in cinema amera form factor) for years with EF mount and a full frame one at that in the case of the C700 so its not beyond the bounds of possibility a new stills one would feature it, particularly if the two model lines theory is correct.

You never know, Nikon might yet still surprise us by doing the same with a D5/D850/D500 styled mirrorless further down the line that features the F mount ?

47 minutes ago, austinchimp said:

Apologies for off-topic, but the concept of this video is very reminiscent of this video, which is also much better in my opinion. 

Lol that does look very similar in concept/look. I'd still say the Nikon DP did pretty awesome job considering he shot everything internally with an unknown pre-production cam, 3 lenses and a quick turnaround (he said he was still shooting stuff the day he had to submit). For what it's worth the video you linked says in the description is was shot with 5 different cameras including an FS5 via Shogun (so probably raw) and super8 film..