Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

45 minutes ago, jhnkng said:

I guess I'm full of shit because if colour isn't at the top of the list in how you evaluate cameras then you're just a camera collector, not a creative.

I guess I’m full of shit too, since Canon, Fuji, Olympus et al are supposed to have better color science than either Panasonic or Sony, yet I chose them for their combination of image quality, handling, features, ecosystem and performance, just as a great many others have. 

That’s an overwhelmingly compelling case you have there though - I find black or white arguments that categorize and label people according to which camera they choose to be incontrovertable. In fact, when I see someone shooting Fuji, I think to myself, ‘Ah, now there’s a true artist!’  ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think Nikon has a pretty good reputation on their Color Science for Photos, but I don't think that is going to move over to great output in Video. From what I have seen it all appears dark, and well old fashion looking. Not my idea of very modern, or fresh. Just kind of lifeless to me, even D750, D850 stuff. Not tripping any of my triggers. But this N Log might change that??

I think colour science is a real thing but I am sure I can not tell the difference between brands MOST of the time.

I do look at Instagram photos and know who many are by without looking but most of the time they have been post processed and in some cases have switched from Nikon/Canon to Sony recently.

I think there is a difference to Nikon sunset photos than others though (but I have never had any dislike to colours from any brand I have used which is most of them at some time or other).

@noone That's fair, I agree once images are online there's no telling what is what. It's been processed by the user, and then compressed for web. Sometimes, comparing cameras is more a matter of "I can get the colors I want, but it'll take me twice as long in post," instead of "This camera simply CAN'T produce the image I want." And then once it's compressed, any subtle differences will be gone. Fine noise/grain preserved by shooting Raw? Flattened. 500 mbps ProRes 4k? Squished into 40 mbps. Deep rich colors? Oversaturated by an overzealous photoshopper, then smothered by an overzealous compression engine.

I feel there is an important life lesson here but I'm too busy reading spec sheets to figure it out.

I'm sorry but saying color science is BS is being truly ignorant. Color science is of course a genuine topic when it comes to cameras and image output in general..

Now wether you prefer A to B that is being subjective, however it's no secret Sony have struggled and are the most controversial when it comes to it.

It is why Andrew developped EOSHD Pro Color for Sony Cameras: https://www.eoshd.com/pro-color/

And why Sony themselves made a big deal this year by adding Venice color science to the FS5 and calling it Mark II:

Sony Introduces FS5 II with 4K HDR, 120fps RAW and New Color Science

Designed to meet the requirements of today’s content creators, the FS5 II features an all-new look with a refined picture tone to capture natural highlights, subtle, alluring and well rendered facial tones and a softer tonal look, for capturing lifelike portrayals.  Using the accumulated expertise of Sony’s digital cinematography camera VENICE, the FS5 II promises a fresh and vivid look while still retaining plenty of creative options in post-production, as a result of its high performance 4K Super 35 Exmor® CMOS sensor.

1 minute ago, Django said:

I'm sorry but saying color science is BS is being truly ignorant. Color science is of course a genuine topic when it comes to cameras and image output in general..

Now wether you prefer A to B that is being subjective, however it's no secret Sony have struggled and are the most controversial when it comes to it.

It is why Andrew developped EOSHD Pro Color for Sony Cameras: https://www.eoshd.com/pro-color/

And why Sony themselves made a big deal this year by adding Venice color science to the FS5 and calling it Mark II:

Sony Introduces FS5 II with 4K HDR, 120fps RAW and New Color Science

Designed to meet the requirements of today’s content creators, the FS5 II features an all-new look with a refined picture tone to capture natural highlights, subtle, alluring and well rendered facial tones and a softer tonal look, for capturing lifelike portrayals.  Using the accumulated expertise of Sony’s digital cinematography camera VENICE, the FS5 II promises a fresh and vivid look while still retaining plenty of creative options in post-production, as a result of its high performance 4K Super 35 Exmor® CMOS sensor.

1) Nobody in this thread said color science is BS.

2) Nobody said anything about Sony having Alexa color science.

3) Filmmakers have created LUTs for every camera imaginable.

4) Many photographers find Sony color science has improved significantly with the Mark III.

5) All manufacturers continually strive to deliver more pleasing color science with each new generation of camera.

6) Who here claimed Sony had unbeatable color anyhow?

@jonpais

The reason is that Sony are the biggest threat to whatever the fanboy's pet camera is. And it is that way for all of them, which is why it gets so much hate in spite of being largely a superior product compared to the rest. People form a relationship with their equipment and they need to rationalize their choice, which brings up negative emotions when the next guy on has a better option. A telltale sign that is going on when non-quantifiable qualities such as "color science", "cinematic" and "special sauce" start being bandied about as their rationale. As soon as you hear those sorts of things you know they are full of shit  

And just before you start getting too upset, I never said anything about the A7III nor did I state Sony wasn't improving their color science, quite the opposite actually since I linked the FS5's new Venice color science which is a huge step in the right direction (Sony may not have Alexa color science but Venice is their closest thing), everyone is hoping A7SIII will also have this new color science.

6 hours ago, Mokara said:

The reason is that Sony are the biggest threat to whatever the fanboy's pet camera is. And it is that way for all of them, which is why it gets so much hate in spite of being largely a superior product compared to the rest. People form a relationship with their equipment and they need to rationalize their choice, which brings up negative emotions when the next guy on has a better option. A telltale sign that is going on when non-quantifiable qualities such as "color science", "cinematic" and "special sauce" start being bandied about as their rationale. As soon as you hear those sorts of things you know they are full of shit ;) 

Now I finally learned how sounds somebody who is completely out of suspicion to be the fanboy :)

I mean, not just being absolutely sure that one manufacturer is /has "largely a superior product compared to the rest", and not just being even more absolutely sure that all around are people that feel threat and logically hate that largely superior product, but, most important - saying such epochal true in such epic last-line way and intonation, that all mirrors are immediately breaking apart!

Thank you, sir, you finally tell to all of that fanboy-pet-cameras unenlightened-cowards full of shit what they deserved!

These forums are descending into uselessness. Snarky, forum-fueled narcissism, unthoughtful. 

I come to these spaces to glean insight from smart, experienced people. That has been the case (and often still can be) here and in other venues, but typically once we are more than three pages into any given thread, the loathsome : generous ratio is not good.

I picked up a Fuji xh1 3 months ago (and had gh5 for a while now) so I'm not rushing out to grab another camera just yet (lying to myself).

I was going to get an atomos ninja v to use mainly as a bright monitor, but nice to see if a new Nikon found its way to me I could get 10bit log out of it with this. A shame it's not internal but great to see it's there anyway. Full frame, nice colour, 10 bit. A lot to like. 

Shame the LCD isn't bigger.

If I do decide I need a full frame (I will) to accompany my M4/3 and apsc I would wait to see the a7siii, maybe the Venice colour can finally compete with the other brands for me ?. Also if canon do something it could be worth a look. Oh and the bmpcc 4k is a given.

Current odds of me buying a Nikon z6 50% (75%). 

Odds of divorce....

pretty boring promo but at around 20mn the director of that music video shares his thoughts on autofocus, adapting vintage lenses & shooting straight to card.. at around 36mn some new handheld Z7 footage with the kit lens. an interesting AF/MF setup observation at 45mn, followed by mention of almost identical battery life to D850 for video & stepless aperture control on the multifunction S series lens rings.

20 hours ago, anonim said:

One of the so many reasons I enjoy so much EOSHD forum is that I learned to wait and guess the moment when topic as "Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output" will provoke new mercer's mention of 5D III and confession about lusting over cameras... made so tenderly and magically sweet, that I feel quite normally that all topics are in fact subtopics of temporarily lusting Canon's cameras... :)

With each passing page that gets added to a new topic, the probability of this approaches 1.

20 hours ago, Django said:

..and back on topic with the Z6 currently at.. #1 position.. followed by Z7 at #3..

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Mirrorless-Cameras/zgbs/electronics/3109924011

How DARE YOU be on topic in a thread supposedly about Nikon Mirrorless!!

btw, crazy that the ancient old (not even 4K!) Sony a6000 is positioned at #2 in between those too. (#4 = G7, #5 = a5100)

The Sony a6000 is also at #9, #10, #13, #14, #16, #17, #18 & #20!

I dearly hope Nikon brings out an affordable DX mirrorless camera. 

20 hours ago, hansel said:

I am in the market for a 5'ish monitor. In foresight should I go with Atomos rather than BM video assist which is probably due to an update? 

If you don't need a recorder as well, and want max bang for your buck then get a Lilliput A5. I have one, and have been happy with it:

Or if you want better quality, more features, and the brand name, then get the SmallHD Focus. 

20 hours ago, jonpais said:

Either way your money’s going to an occidental country. ?

Atomos is an Australian company. 
(like Blackmagic Design....)

19 hours ago, MdB said:

Well that's an interesting question. First up, I doubt Canon users will buy the Nikon - The Nikon can't use their lenses, the Sony can.

I'm sure if we give it a little time, then we'll soon enough find those unholy Canon EF to Nikon Z adapters! Complete with a sample of Holy Water to sprinkle over your (waterproofed) Nikon Z6/Z7 camera before mounting on it a Canon lens. 

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

If you don't need a recorder as well, and want max bang for your buck then get a Lilliput A5. I have one, and have been happy with....

Yeah, I kind of reserved one two days ago. I thought Video assist is not important if I go the p4k route. But with Z6 in mind it might be quite nice to play with the 10 bit nlog files....hence it might be reasonable to get a recorder.

@IronFilmwould you suggest to to kill two flies in one go if I get the BM 4K assist that seems to have reasonable audio recording, phantom power, mini xlr ....as well?

? is there any reason to believe the z6 is not superior to the a7iii? Bridge under the water. Love you all ?