Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

And of course, someone had to take a crap in the punch bowl...

For those of you who want a summary of the video:

Lackluster autofocus
No Eye Autofocus
Lackluster metering
Lackluster IBIS with adapted lenses
"Sony-Style" mushy buttons
1080p 120fps only in DX crop mode???
Laggy EVF (for stills)

Wondering if that guy who bought my D750 off craigslist will sell it back to me...  ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

And of course, someone had to take a crap in the punch bowl...

For those of you who want a summary of the video:

Lackluster autofocus
No Eye Autofocus
Lackluster metering
Lackluster IBIS with adapted lenses
"Sony-Style" mushy buttons
1080p 120fps only in DX crop mode???
Laggy EVF (for stills)

Wondering if that guy who bought my D750 off craigslist will sell it back to me...  ?

Thanks for posting that, it’s good to see that there are reviews that talk about the bad. I thought they made some decent points and observations, and they’re pretty even handed with their views. Hopefully a lot of that stuff can be fixed in firmware, and hopefully they follow Fuji’s example and have regular firmware updates to refine the camera (even if they don’t add extra features). If nothing else that focus issue needs a fix, it sounds a lot like my D800, which has rubbish AF. 

7 hours ago, wolf33d said:

DJI is impressing me a lot with cutting edge features and true innovation continuously. Sony and canikon don’t impress me. Especially Canikon who serves you the same conservative specs and features years after years. Let’s be honest, those « reinvented mirrorless » have nothing reinvented. 

I wished so much à Chinese and or US company would make consumer FF cameras, everything would be far different. 

When DJI releases an APSC cam it comes with RAW and Prores Raw. Not Sony 8bit XAVC or bullshit canon 800mbps aging codecs... 

well there is an American company called black magic and guess what? They give us 4K60p raw for less money. They are just too video Focused. I wished they made mirorless FF hybrids.

Sony, Nikon and surely Canon did or won't be reinventing something radically new from what is now a very mature system. Form the first days of MILC to now, the principle are the same, a sensor that sends data to an EVF and a storage medium. There have been inovation like IBIS and dual pixel and phase detect on sensor autofocus, but now it just about incremental change like button, size, af speed, a little more DR or Low light quality and that is it. And sincerely for me, if you can't do photos (as a Nikon user reference) from a 2008 Nikon D300-D3, or from a 2011 Nikon D800 with 36 megapixel and 14 stop of DR, you are not going to do anything better with new tech.

38 minutes ago, jhnkng said:

Thanks for posting that, it’s good to see that there are reviews that talk about the bad. I thought they made some decent points and observations, and they’re pretty even handed with their views. Hopefully a lot of that stuff can be fixed in firmware, and hopefully they follow Fuji’s example and have regular firmware updates to refine the camera (even if they don’t add extra features). If nothing else that focus issue needs a fix, it sounds a lot like my D800, which has rubbish AF. 

Their main gripe seems indeed about the low-light AF performance.. after spending an hour with a pre-production camera.. in a dim lit environment.

It should be pointed out that the Z7 has -1EV AF detection (Z6 has -2EV) unless you enable the "low light AF" feature which brings it down to -4EV.

My guess is they were shooting default AF setting.

That said for all I know the AF does struggle in low-light (most MILCs do imo), I'd just wait until more thorough reviews before passing judgment..

2 hours ago, Django said:

My guess is they were shooting default AF setting.

This could have a real impact.  When I watched both A7III videos by Matti Haapoja both had AF failures in them which other people don't have in theirs, but Matti mentioned using centre-focus(?) mode when other people use face-detect, so I think it does take a while for people to work out the quirks of a camera.

I'll be waiting for the full reviews before making any real judgements.

Just now, jonpais said:

That is just progress, new better products coming out every year. 

But I mean, is it even shipping yet? I think maybe not, is still in pre order status on B&H, which means for right now the a7 III is still arguably the "best" option you can buy today.  ???

7 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

None of the current cameras have eye AF in video mode, Sony's impressive eye AF is only available in stills mode, in video mode it falls back to face AF.

Shooting with face detect at f/2.5 at arm’s length with the incredible 85mm f/1.8, my subjects’ eyes are all tack sharp. ?

Looks like Nikon have done their homework and thoroughly copied Canon's dual pixel AF for video implementation:

The Z 7 newly offers AF-C as a movie focus mode. By pressing the AF-ON button during movie recording, you can flexibly control when AF starts and stops. Used in combination with AF speed and AF tracking sensitivity options, this mode also makes it possible to use “focus pull” techniques, to make scenes more impressive. AF-C allows you to take full advantage of the shallow depth-of- field and beautiful bokeh effects that an FX-format sensor and NIKKOR Z lenses offer. 

Focusing speed and the smoothness of focus transitions when switching between subjects can make a huge difference in movies. The Z 7 lets you customize the speed* and tracking sensitivity of AF when filming videos. AF speed is adjustable in 11 steps, between “Slow” (-5) and “Fast” (+5). At lower levels, focus is achieved slowly, making scenes look more cinematic. AF tracking sensitivity can be adjusted in 7 steps, from “High” (1) to “Low” (7). Select a higher sensitivity if you want to switch focus quickly to the next subject, and a lower sensitivity for maintaining focus on the current subject for longer. 

Smart of them to copy top features from various industry leaders. Love the on/off AF toggle in Canon DPAF units. speed & sensitivity settings should also allow diverse & smooth video AF response..

When “On” is selected for “Auto-area AF face detection,” the camera automatically detects faces, and users can choose which face to focus on if there is more than one. Thanks to a newly developed face-detection and subject-tracking algorithm, the AF can keep tracking a subject’s face if they turn their head or briefly look away. 

This should prevent the AF system going haywire when multiple faces are in field, and from the looks of it, it actually works:

By copy, do you mean that each pixel on Nikon’s sensor has two separate, light-sensitive photodiodes, which convert light into an electronic signal? Or are you saying their system is as effective as Canon’s? Otherwise, they would be infringing upon Canon’s patented proprietary technology... ?

Oh, I thought you said Nikon copied Canon's DPAF. My bad.

Because according to Tony and Chelsea Northrup, when shooting in good lighting conditions using single point and focusing on the eye, their pre-production model focused more like the XT-1 or a7r II - in other words, it missed focus most of the time. Tony says it doesn't compare to the a7r III or a7 III.

Their recommendation is not to buy.

I only watched the first minute or so of this guy's video, but he claims that the only reason Tony Northrup can't recommend the Nikon Z is because of the lack of  dual card slots. Which is a bald-faced lie.

Well they've copied how Canon's DPAF operates & works,  but certainly not on the patented root level..

As for Tony & Chelsea, concerning video AF they say at 4:00 "almost Canon level of smooth & usable". As for stills AF they disclaim "we can't be certain our results were exact because the lighting & environment we were in - not good" "we had the camera for an hour and couldn't go outside". like is said in the other thread, Z7 has -1EV AF detection and you have to enable "Low light AF" to reach -4EV which they probably did not do. So in other words, i wouldn't call their report conclusive..

7 minutes ago, Django said:

Well they've copied how Canon's DPAF operates & works,  but certainly not on the patented root level..

As for Tony & Chelsea, concerning video AF they say at 4:00 "almost Canon level of smooth & usable". As for stills AF they disclaim "we can't be certain our results were exact because the lighting & environment we were in - not good" "we had the camera for an hour and couldn't go outside". like is said in the other thread, Z7 has -1EV AF detection and you have to enable "Low light AF" to reach -4EV which they probably did not do.

Sorry to be such a stickler but either it is dual pixel or it is not. If not, it cannot copy how Canon's DPAF operates and works.

5 hours ago, Django said:

If pro photography is your main gig.. then this is definitely not going to top a D850 (or even D750) especially with adapted lens.

But for hybrid/video shooting, i think Z6 is going to be the bees knees!

@Mark Romero 2 1080p 120fps only in DX crop mode???   that's on Z7. Z6 won't crop.

Could be the replacement of my NX1. Only interested if NON Nikon lenses can be adopt and if the Z6 will work with anamorphic lenses.

On 8/23/2018 at 4:29 PM, Andrew Reid said:

A top LCD Is great for video, it takes all that clutter OFF the main LCD.

It's very nice on the X-H1 to glance at the aperture, shutter, settings, etc. without having them sprayed all over your picture.

Reading this lines crossed my mind if it would be ever possible to have waveforms on top lcd.

That would be something!