Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Django said:

Full AF/AE supported when using FX or DX AF-S Type G/D/E, AF-P type G/E, AF-I type D and AF-S/AF-I Teleconverter

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/lens-mount-adapter/mount-adapter-ftz.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

Ah-ha...

I found Nikon's handy compatibility chart.

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/accessory/camera/ftz/spec.htm

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Does the adapter autofocus with D lenses?

Yes

No

Maybe.

I was presuming that you were referring to D lenses without an in built motor but there are D Type lenses that do (those with the AF-S designation before them)

For example AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED and AF Zoom-Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED are both D type lenses but the former has an in built motor so will work with the adapter and the later doesn't so won't. 

The best way to check is for a specific lens is to got to Nikon's exhaustive lens/body compatibility page here and download the excel sheet.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?lang=en_GB&articleNo=000005532

Then go to the tab of a Nikon body without an AF motor in it (like the D40 for example) and check it against that.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Only one XQD card slot? But that's not acceptable for any serious pro, is it? Only one slot means some Z6/Z7 owners most definitely will lose everything, which is unacceptable if you're doing a paid job. Dual card slots is a requirement!

The lack of flippy display means the device is quite unusable for people creating content themselves without a dedicated cameraman at all times to check the framing, focus and etc. Filming yourself or conducting interviews is hopeless unless you add a bulky external display. What a shame.

Does it have a 30min video record limit? I certainly hope not!

And I want 4K 60p so I am not buying Z6, sorry.

I wish these new high performance encoders had H265 codec as an option too to be able to record to a lower bitrate keeping the same quality, easier for YouTube 4K uploading for people (like me) who don't need/want to do post production rendering and the like.

Everybody seems very certain that the Z6 will have a good codec bitrate and so on an so forth. But reading the official Nikon spec sheet they clearly stipulate 10-15 minutes of video (battery) and the very uncertain: Up to 29:59 min recording time. I fear that this only holds true for the 1080p recording. And the only bit rate number I've seen or heard is 100mbps internally, worse than the d850.

1 minute ago, Django said:

sony_fanboys.jpg

sorry just had to ?

I don't know where you get the courage to reply to those Sony fanboys LOL. What a bunch but of idiots, I think they have had that privileged to look down to every other MILC users because they were the only one who had full frame, that it must hurt badly that another company could be producing something better. In fact they should be happy, I am sure they are getting 10 bit in the next Sony camera, something they been asking for and been deeply disappointed every-time a new Sony camera has launched. But when Nikon does it, it is not significant.

1 minute ago, Young said:

Everybody seems very certain that the Z6 will have a good codec bitrate and so on an so forth. But reading the official Nikon spec sheet they clearly stipulate 10-15 minutes of video (battery) and the very uncertain: Up to 29:59 min recording time. I fear that this only holds true for the 1080p recording. And the only bit rate number I've seen or heard is 100mbps internally, worse than the d850.

You should perhaps read it again, I saw 144 mbs not 100 mbs.

In other related news:

"The Nikon Z6 is the World’s first mirrorless camera that can output a 4K full frame image in 10-bit 4:2:2 externally and Atomos has just announced that their Ninja V will support the Nikon Z cameras from launch with N-Log support. Nikon is already showing the Ninja V together with the Nikon Z6 & Z7 at the launch events." newsshooter.com

"You can connect external recording devices with HDMI cable and record 4K UHD uncompressed files at the same time. HDMI output with 10 bit * with deep color depth of about 1,073,746 thousand colors is also possible. It supports ATOMOS Open Protocol, and even when shooting with 4K UHD, you can start / stop recording of the same Protocol compatible HDMI recorder with the movie shooting button on the camera." nikon.co.jp

Seems definitely to have been designed to be A7ii and A7Rii killers.

Very competitive with the iii models and better in many ways and no in others.

Only one card slot.      This was often listed as a strike against Sony's but I wouldn't be surprised if many who did suddenly don't find it an issue now. (single slot is not an issue for me).

1.8/f4 lenses price.     I see some of the same whinging as  happened with Sony's but again, these will not be like the old DSLR/legacy 50mm lenses from many years ago (Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 was even more expensive but worth it - LoCA and all) so I imagine the lenses will be great and the issue will be the limited number.      I would think this first kit zoom will leave the Sony Zeiss one for dead though that is no longer a lens "needed" though I am a bit worried that the f4 zoom is collapsible? (might have some IQ issues?).

Adapter looks good- shame about no AF for older AF-D lenses and pity that Nikon doesn't play nice with others making adapters (so not being able to use my Canon 17 TS-E is a bummer to me).      DSLR fanatics often put down using adapters, guess many will change their opinions just because it is Nikon doing it (meanwhile Sony users can even auto focus some of those older manual focus NIKON lenses at least for stills).     Only ONE of my last seven Nikon lenses would auto focus on these cameras and another four would not but I could probably get almost all them to AF on the latest Sony's (not that I would have wanted to except for maybe my 50 1.8 AF) and only a lowly Nikon AF kit lens for APSC would AF on the Zeds.

As for ergonomics, that is subjective and I think (wont know for sure yet) I would still prefer the first gen Sony cameras  over others (and second gen Sony cameras over these).

My Sony A7s is dead so I am looking to get it fixed or if a miracle happens (and I sell my Sony lenses) get something new.      The adapter situation with my Canon lenses alone means the ZEDS (I am Australian Nikon) are likely not for me and I don't really want to sell some of my Sony lenses, not the 55 1.8 anyway.

Interesting the video specs look really good at first but it does seem there are a few Sony style asterisks starting to emerge.

All in all a very nice start for the camera and a pass for lenses IF you like adapters and have reasonably recent lenses and nice but limited lens line up and map.

Do these have digital zoom like clear zoom?

50 minutes ago, Young said:

You should perhaps quote a reliable source because it sure as shit isn't in the official spec sheet.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-cameras/z-6.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

I read it here on Nikon official press release on Dpreview, where did you see it on your Nikon website? https://***URL removed***/news/4242909447/nikon-z6-is-a-lower-resolution-less-expensive-z7

7 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

I read it here on Nikon official press release on Dpreview, where did you see it on your Nikon website? https://***URL removed***/news/4242909447/nikon-z6-is-a-lower-resolution-less-expensive-z7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNHQUGgZAKE&t=1023s

Imaging resource states it's 100mbps. And I've seen others as well. I really hope that you and DPreview are right, and that the 29.59 recording limit applies to 4k footage. If that's the case I think I'll might accept the battery life.

22 minutes ago, noone said:

Seems definitely to have been designed to be A7ii and A7Rii killers.

Very competitive with the iii models and better in many ways and no in others.

Only one card slot.      This was often listed as a strike against Sony's but I wouldn't be surprised if many who did suddenly don't find it an issue now. (single slot is not an issue for me).

1.8/f4 lenses price.     I see some of the same whinging as  happened with Sony's but again, these will not be like the old DSLR/legacy 50mm lenses from many years ago (Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 was even more expensive but worth it - LoCA and all) so I imagine the lenses will be great and the issue will be the limited number.      I would think this first kit zoom will leave the Sony Zeiss one for dead though that is no longer a lens "needed" though I am a bit worried that the f4 zoom is collapsible? (might have some IQ issues?).

Adapter looks good- shame about no AF for older AF-D lenses and pity that Nikon doesn't play nice with others making adapters (so not being able to use my Canon 17 TS-E is a bummer to me).      DSLR fanatics often put down using adapters, guess many will change their opinions just because it is Nikon doing it (meanwhile Sony users can even auto focus some of those older manual focus NIKON lenses at least for stills).     Only ONE of my last seven Nikon lenses would auto focus on these cameras and another four would not but I could probably get almost all them to AF on the latest Sony's (not that I would have wanted to except for maybe my 50 1.8 AF) and only a lowly Nikon AF kit lens for APSC would AF on the Zeds.

As for ergonomics, that is subjective and I think (wont know for sure yet) I would still prefer the first gen Sony cameras  over others (and second gen Sony cameras over these).

My Sony A7s is dead so I am looking to get it fixed or if a miracle happens (and I sell my Sony lenses) get something new.      The adapter situation with my Canon lenses alone means the ZEDS (I am Australian Nikon) are likely not for me and I don't really want to sell some of my Sony lenses, not the 55 1.8 anyway.

Interesting the video specs look really good at first but it does seem there are a few Sony style asterisks starting to emerge.

All in all a very nice start for the camera and a pass for lenses IF you like adapters and have reasonably recent lenses and nice but limited lens line up and map.

Do these have digital zoom like clear zoom?

Just for clarification, did Sony do those AF Nikon screw driver motor adapter. If not, why don't you think some third party won't do it. I mean people should be a bit realistic, so 20 to 40 years old lens should work flawlessly with a completely new camera and system. From DPreview, the experience was very good with modern lens and not too bad with older ones, now you get IBIS even on some very old lens and focus peaking on manual lens older than me. The adapter thing has grown in the video world because of Mirrorless camera small flange distance and the lack of native lens for M43 and Sony cameras 5+ years ago. Hpw many would do the same today if they had to start again an have a plethora of Native lens to choose from, more so with the auto focus in video of these cameras. Lastly, f you think Nikon is having a pass on criticism because it is Nikon, I recomend you going on any Nikon forum and see the backlash about the single card Z cameras.  

The single card slot is a little baffling but at least it's XQD which are a lot more reliable and faster than SDs.. it's also future proof with CFexpress compatibility via firmware.

CFexpress has been speculated as an ideal candidate for ProRes Raw support in 'mid upper-level camcorders' ( http://www.studiodaily.com/2018/04/nab-2018-1400-mbsec-cfexpress-card-future-prores-raw-recording/ ) which i find kinda interesting

No the adapter is the Techart pro made for Leica lenses (AF M mount manual focus lenses but can use other lenses with simple adapter rings) 

38 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Just for clarification, did Sony do those AF Nikon screw driver motor adapter. If not, why don't you think some third party won't do it. I mean people should be a bit realistic, so 20 to 40 years old lens should work flawlessly with a completely new camera and system. From DPreview, the experience was very good with modern lens and not too bad with older ones, now you get IBIS even on some very old lens and focus peaking on manual lens older than me. The adapter thing has grown in the video world because of Mirrorless camera small flange distance and the lack of native lens for M43 and Sony cameras 5+ years ago. Hpw many would do the same today if they had to start again an have a plethora of Native lens to choose from, more so with the auto focus in video of these cameras. Lastly, f you think Nikon is having a pass on criticism because it is Nikon, I recomend you going on any Nikon forum and see the backlash about the single card Z cameras.  

There will possibly something similar for the Zed's but because Nikon does not release mount information, it will have to be reverse engineered (Sony plays much nicer with others over their mount).

Actually, Sigma made an adapter decades ago that would allow Nikon manual focus lenses to auto focus on Minolta (now Sony) A mount cameras though that one had glass elements and had a crop factor (they also made one for MD/MC lenses to use on A mount- I have one of the later and was trying to kludge it together via stacked adapters on my A7/A7s but no luck).

Nikon made similar adapters to use MF lenses on their SLRs/DSLRs as did Pentax and Yashica but including the Sigma pair for Minolta are all screwdrive .    

The Pentax 1.7x AF adapter worked great on DSLRs.      

Sony E mount can use AF adapters for lenses from -

A mount of course (and they have ones for both screwdrive and in lens AF motors).

Canon (zillions of different ones) but the main ones seem to be the Metabones and the Sigma Mc11 ( I have four different ones).

Nikon (only one or two and more limited but they work ok for many including people using the 105 1.4 on the latest Sony's for things like weddings).

There are even AF adapters for lenses like the Contax G lenses on E mount.

I love tinkering with adapters and in some cases adapters make 20-40 year old lenses MUCH better than they were originally.

I loved using my old 300 2.8 manual focus Tamron adaptall as an auto focus lens on Pentax (stabilized too) and Canon FD lenses are light years better on FF E mount than on FD film cameras.        The current Canon 17 TS-E is a lens MUCH easier to use on mirrorless than on a DSLR.

A lot of the adapter thing is just fun but there are some lenses brought back to life due to adapters.

I asked about do the Z cameras have a full variable zoom like clear zoom because it turns fast primes and other special lenses (like the TS-Es) into virtually lossless zooms for video (and Jpegs) and so I can pick and choose my lenses across systems.

With more native lenses there are fewer lenses that need to be adapted though.

4 hours ago, Charbax said:

I wish these new high performance encoders had H265 codec as an option too to be able to record to a lower bitrate keeping the same quality, easier for YouTube 4K uploading for people (like me) who don't need/want to do post production rendering and the like.

Totally agree.

Thats what Dpreview said in their video about autofocus in video from someone who questioned that they said AF was better than Sony, "Yes, video tracking AF is far more usable and accurate on the Z 7 than a Sony Alpha camera (where you have to first engage 'Center Lock-on AF', an old and unintuitive algorithm)."