Not full sized:

"HDMI: Type C HDMI connector"

Noooo!

5 hours ago, sanveer said:

"Movie Maximum Recording Time

29 minutes 59 seconds"

For the Z7, from Nikon's site. 

Yay! 
Well "yay" relatively speaking compared to the rumors before it would something like a 15minute limit wtf

4 hours ago, Brother said:

According to DPReview the N-Log is only available through HDMI, pity! Also, would have loved to see 4k60. 

Not the worst limitation in the world, perhaps they want to limit people from playing with N-log in only 8bit

4 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Nikon N log example.. 

Seems an odd example to give when they've left in all those shots with blown highlights

4 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Yes I would like to see more lenses like the Sony 18 - 110 F4 and 28 - 135 F4, Lenses made with video in mine 1st but also more budget friendly. 

I expect we'll very soon see the Veydra, SLR Magics, and Fujinons coming out for the Z Mount. 

But maybe they might wait for the DX Mirrorless to come out, but probably not. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Dear Christ, that's bad. Who the hell did they get to grade that? And then someone from Nikon has to approve it and put it online... wow.

Gee, I hope whoever they got to showcase N-Log never is giving that job again.... :-/ Come on Nikon, you can show off your new tech better than this!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Z6 looks very right - price clashing with the A7 III.

Both are clearly stills focused - stills people still (no pun intended) buys much more cameras than the video crown. And again, their target was the Sonys in video too - hence just needed to equal than. I was not expecting at all 4k60, and I think that enabling 10-bit 4:2:2 in HDMI was a very clever move - an extra spec that Sonys don't have (yet - could a firmware upgrade enable it?), less demanding internal specs, and for an item that only really cares to specialized people. For enthusiasts, good color OOC is much more valuable (my guess too).

The F adapter performance will be very important , especially for stills- if it is ok, could be a major boost. About the top LCD: since only used mirrorless, never tought about it, until other day that I've grabbed an old S5Pro for nothing, and now I'm fond for it :) . And a lot of people associate a top LCD as "pro" cameras - just have to see that buzz that the top LCDs in Fuji X-H1 and Panny G9 generated.

A top LCD Is great for video, it takes all that clutter OFF the main LCD.

It's very nice on the X-H1 to glance at the aperture, shutter, settings, etc. without having them sprayed all over your picture.

The 10bit 422 HDMI is nice but I can't see myself using it much. 8bit is enough for me as long as it's a good codec.

Z6 will vie with A7S III for video crown of 2018.

A7 III will continue to be close and have widest range of lens possibilities both native and adapted...but it is just not quite as good as the Z6 or upcoming A7S III.

But, at least until now, I think that they striked a very good balance for a start. Let's wait to see the real world tests - normally the second batch of the reviews, after the first rushed ones "to be the first to publish".

For a first gen camera it's pretty good straight out of the gates, remember Sony have had years to build up to the A7 III and A7R III... Nikon came straight out and are competitive to the point of possibly even bettering the mirrorless market leader.

Oh, forgot to mention the use of the current batteries, huge flaw. Ok, understandable in their point of view to cater the current Nikon users, and the "keep compatibility" history of the Nikons, but Sony showed the way with the Z batteries.

What's wrong with the Nikon D850 batteries?

interesting note about battery life:

As we touched on earlier, battery life is often a disadvantage of a mirrorless camera compared to a DSLR and that remains the case here. The CIPA standard battery life rating for the Z6 is only about 310 shots per charge when using the EVF (no word yet on an LCD monitor figure), but Nikon noted that early hands-on reports from pros using pre-release cameras out in the field indicate real-world battery life far exceeds the CIPA figure. To help maintain good battery life out in the field, you can press a button on the side of the viewfinder which kills all LCD functions and the EVF will only turn on when you bring it up to your eye. The LCD will light up when you press buttons but will otherwise remain off. It's a neat power-saving feature and we are curious to see how it works in the field and how it affects battery life.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-z6/nikon-z6A.HTM

6 hours ago, Brother said:

According to DPReview the N-Log is only available through HDMI, pity! Also, would have loved to see 4k60. 

Arrgghh...

Not having internal Egg Nog available is really a turnoff since I would be using on a one-hand gimbal.

Hoping the Flat profile will be close to SLOG at least.

35 minutes ago, Django said:

interesting note about battery life:

As we touched on earlier, battery life is often a disadvantage of a mirrorless camera compared to a DSLR and that remains the case here. The CIPA standard battery life rating for the Z6 is only about 310 shots per charge when using the EVF (no word yet on an LCD monitor figure), but Nikon noted that early hands-on reports from pros using pre-release cameras out in the field indicate real-world battery life far exceeds the CIPA figure. To help maintain good battery life out in the field, you can press a button on the side of the viewfinder which kills all LCD functions and the EVF will only turn on when you bring it up to your eye. The LCD will light up when you press buttons but will otherwise remain off. It's a neat power-saving feature and we are curious to see how it works in the field and how it affects battery life.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-z6/nikon-z6A.HTM

Glad to hear about that. In the real world - for me, at least  - my Sony a6300 and a6500 batteries lasted significantly longer than the batteries in my D750, since I shoot with LiveView / LCD 97% of the time. I could take about 450 stills with my D750 while I was up around close to 550 with my Sony bodies.

For a first effort, kudos to Nikon for swinging for the fences and not leaving a lot on the table. The Z6/7's look damn impressive, especially when you look at the Gen1 a7's. The EVF and LCD look awesome, I wish my a7III had the same spec. AF-c with F-mount lenses looks really good in the Dpreview video with Chris running at the camera, current Nikon users aren't losing much - or anything depending on what you shoot - by adding a Z body to their kit. Face tracking looks good, no eye AF, but you can't expect everything. The 6k-4k video should be awesome, if they can improve on the a7III's rolling shutter with the newer sensor, that would be a bonus. 10-bit out and Nlog shows they're taking video seriously. The lens roadmap looks good too. By the end of next year they'll have 2.8 zooms, a 14-30 UWA, and the most common primes.

Nikon crashed the mirrorless party in a big way, personally they've exceeded expectations. By the time the Gen2 bodies come out they will be a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully product cycles aren't 4 years like the d850, and instead get D3/4/5 every other year updates. I'm sure we see more bodies - APS-c and a a9 competitor - before the 2020 Olympics too. Like the Dpreview guys, I'm going to call it the Zed. In a year or so when more lenses are out, used Z6's will be on my radar. I just don't want to buy yet another new card at the moment.

Chris

"Nikon put some rich bastards in a fancy car to make a stunning blown-out highlights compilation reel, which resonates with absolutely no photographer or filmmaker anywhere."

Ha.  Watched that vid and thought, man, I'm good enough to make something that flawed.  How do I get hired for those types of gigs?

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What's wrong with the Nikon D850 batteries?

Endurance, same problem of the Sony's prior to the release of the Z battery - 330 shots rated in the new cameras. But maybe the power saving modes could solve that.

A thing that Nikon could REALLY be innovative - sometimes people just need more battery life, does not need the full vertical grip thing. Instead of having only the traditional vertical grip with batteries, the could make a smaller bottom attached battery only, chargeable by USB with Quickcharge 3.0. The EN-EL5 have 1900mah, the probably could make a bottom battery pack with few milimeters height with 4000mah capacity (some phones have this capacity).

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Its amusing to see people call any ILC that has no mirror in front of sensor, a Sony clone!

Leave Nikon aside for a moment, most of the new tech or ideas introduced in this industry in recent years, didn't come from Sony. PDAF wasn't Sony invention, they licensed it. and Canon delivered a better version. IBIS was also a licensed tech, and Olympus created a much better iteration of it. EVF wasn't new thing, and Leica was the one who showed how the next generation of it should be. in optics, m4/3 members were true pioneers, and for large sensor glass, it was Sigma who made the bold actions. In video, most of what we now consider as must-have features, determined by Panasonic. In color science, and also the joy of photography, Fuji was the real hero. 

Sony is good in two segments: making sensors, and marketing. Both unrelated to its imaging unit. 

100% right on.

Sony make a good all-rounder that borrows from everything else and maximises the specs on paper, with the largest possible sensor. Their sensor tech is excellent.

Innovation wise, there are others who pioneer better stuff, earlier on... but don't manage to put it in such a well rounded 'greatest hits' package, because they don't have Sony's R&D budget.

39 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

"Nikon put some rich bastards in a fancy car to make a stunning blown-out highlights compilation reel, which resonates with absolutely no photographer or filmmaker anywhere."

Ha.  Watched that vid and thought, man, I'm good enough to make something that flawed.  How do I get hired for those types of gigs?

Exactly, insanity.