Canon 1D C vs 5D Mark III Raw (and C300 / GH2 resolution comparison)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can respect the claims that a GH2/GH3 "can't touch raw" but why/how?  In the two clips i've seen between the two it is not that noticeable to the average human eye.  Unless you're pushing it to 400% (why I don't know) it doesn't look to be all that different.  In other words, for the small gain you're getting over the gh3 is it worth the extra money on a body, storage (internal to the body), and extra hard drives you'll need, not to mention time to process, convert, grade, etc?  I'm just curious as I know it is an individual basis.

I'm curious if it is better to get a GH3 and add on a Metabones speed booster or get a 5D3 and use the h.264 footage the majority of the time and raw for more intense close-ups and landscapes.  It's a trade off either way.  Not sure how one would make a decision in either direction.

If you only compare compressed formats then yes, the GH2 and GH3 do indeed smoke the 5DIII. Truth be told the h264 coming from the 5d is a shoddy excuse for 1080p.

Raw is in another league and I don't think it's even a comparison worth making. They are just different tools for different environments. It reminds me of the old film vs digital stills debates that went on...and on.. and on... 

My 2 pence is that the image with raw is much nicer, but it's a lot more hassle and I sure as hell couldn't edit it on my macbook air. I have similar sentiments toward film. 

Anyone who's done a bit of photography knows the power of raw but it's way to much trouble for anything  more than experimental work.

Someone earlier asked for advice on a camera for events, well, nothing comes close to a gh3, you can have the mother of all hacks that gives you 4k,8k, doesn't matter, it's a hack that has severe limitations and in the end you can't risk go to a job with unstable gear.

First I was excited but then I thought, if you have the money you can have c300, fs700 with future 4k upgrade and already amazing ISO that obliterates 5d mark3, sure 5d  is nice but serious event videographers are switching to the real deal, real cameras designed for this.

Now about the gh3 vs tons of DSLR's that offer better iso, sure 5d gives way better iso, even Nikons do now but then you look at other things, silent autofocus, touch screen autofocus, wayyy lighter and easier for long steadycam shots, sharper image, articulated screen, tons of settings for making it easier and faster.

Then you think about the ISO, when do I ever use iso 6400 or even more, in events ( by events I mean weddings ) almost never, you light it or carry a lamp is need it but with a fast prime you can go anywhere, so you probably max at  3200 and very very rarerly, and you have neat video to clean up the footage.

In my opinion if it is for events go for cheap gh3's or expensive c100,c300,fs100,fs700, market changed in what it can offer, if years ago DSLR's where the only thing to give amazing iso and easy SDOF now we have a hell of a lot of choices.

Anyone who's done a bit of photography knows the power of raw but it's way to much trouble for anything  more than experimental work.

Someone earlier asked for advice on a camera for events, well, nothing comes close to a gh3, you can have the mother of all hacks that gives you 4k,8k, doesn't matter, it's a hack that has severe limitations and in the end you can't risk go to a job with unstable gear.

First I was excited but then I thought, if you have the money you can have c300, fs700 with future 4k upgrade and already amazing ISO that obliterates 5d mark3, sure 5d  is nice but serious event videographers are switching to the real deal, real cameras designed for this.

Now about the gh3 vs tons of DSLR's that offer better iso, sure 5d gives way better iso, even Nikons do now but then you look at other things, silent autofocus, touch screen autofocus, wayyy lighter and easier for long steadycam shots, sharper image, articulated screen, tons of settings for making it easier and faster.

Then you think about the ISO, when do I ever use iso 6400 or even more, in events ( by events I mean weddings ) almost never, you light it or carry a lamp is need it but with a fast prime you can go anywhere, so you probably max at  3200 and very very rarerly, and you have neat video to clean up the footage.

In my opinion if it is for events go for cheap gh3's or expensive c100,c300,fs100,fs700, market changed in what it can offer, if years ago DSLR's where the only thing to give amazing iso and easy SDOF now we have a hell of a lot of choices.

After going through working on RAW footage for the first time, I tend to agree with this sentiment.  Of course I do live music events and shoot with a GH3 and 2x GH2s, so I know that live events would be overkill.  But I tell you what, for a short film, music video, RAW will give you the best picture.  Smooth gradients and beautiful color, as well as being able to match color temperature, is just a dream.  The workflow right now is a nightmare, but I'll gladly do it because of that picture.  Sure the GH3 comes close, but it's still 8bit color.  I think once you see the difference for yourself, you'll understand.  I sure won't be using RAW for any live events, but for music videos yes indeed.

Where would I find special banding-tuned NR?

I think NIK Dfine has some options, for one and is said to be among the best as ridding banding. I have a bad feeling that it won't batch properly though which would make it no go for video. I need to check.

• Administrators

My main gripes with the GH series are that they shit the bed at high ISO and the colors feel sterile.  The best part of the camera is resolution.  I'm a bit at a crossroads regarding my next body/system purchase.

Not as good as full frame at high ISOs and yes colour isn't quite as pleasing as Canon but don't agree good results cannot be had with colour and high ISO on GH2.

This is mostly 1600 +

https://vimeo.com/32520456

Advantage of F0.95 helps, thanks to mirrorless mount.

Even ISO 12,800 is beautiful in black & white. Very fine grain.

https://vimeo.com/31835141

GH2 is underrated in low light.

Thanks Andrew... the first video looks pretty good would love to see high ISO, low light and human subjects.  The second video I think the composition is great but the video quality is terrible, it's so blocky and noisy.

Without Raw it still seems like you prefer the 5D3 system as a more viable video solution to the GH3?