Mixing HLG and SDR clips

NickSim

19 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

He already wrote it in the first post: Dell UP2718Q. It's good for watching HDR content on youtube but not enough for content creation.

Not to sound as if I'm offended, I am not... but why do you say that?

Yes of course it isn't the top dog, but in my situation I can't justify having the best reference monitor when what I have is certainly better than 99% of the devices my audience is using... ie 61% of people are viewing my content on their Smartphones. I'm not producing content intended for display on  70"+ HDR10/DV displays, I just want do to the best work that I can realistically do.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have the bigger brother to the UP2718Q - the UP3216Q.  I chose it because I was tempted by the wider gamut, but it's been a complete bust for me.

I tried googling how to set it up for the higher gamut modes, and I tried to calibrate it with my Datacolour Spyder Pro 4 but when I set the Dell and Spyder to extended colour modes the Spyder never recognised the Dell as extended colour.  I googled for hours but eventually gave up, and so I just use it in the normal mode because although the wide gamut mode looks nicer I can't calibrate it (it calibrates fine in sRGB mode).

If someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong then I'd be very happy to hear it.  It's still a nice monitor though.

Oh, and I should also mention that I'm using a USB-C/Thunderbolt to Mini DisplayPort cable, which throws another variable into the mix.  IIRC to get a decent refresh rate in UHD you needed to run multiple HDMI cables and buy a converter box that cost an arm and a leg at the time.  The MBP automagically turns a USB port into a DisplayPort when you plug a monitor in which is nice, so it's hot-swappable, and the cable was <$100 :)