Fuji X-T3 has 4K60P and 10 bit

wolf33d

41 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Wish more cameras would offer 2K as an option

We need more than just the boring old UHD / 1080 / 720 resolutions in the usual 16:9!

Give us ALL THE OPTIONS in aspect ratios and frame rates

Looks like the 2k is up to 200. 

If this camera is as popular with the rest of the film/video community (We have too many Fuji camera's as it is...) maybe we'll see Sigma or Tamaron make some X series lenses.  The popularity might also force Fuji into re-releasing some of their primes with OIS and *crosses fingers* adding OIS to optically spectacular 16-55mm brick.

We're going to pre-order one, so when it comes in, let us know what tests you would like to see and we'll post them up.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

We need more than just the boring old UHD / 1080 / 720 resolutions in the usual 16:9!

Yeah I would love for a company to offer a 2:35 or 2:39 option. A 2K Fuji does sound nice though... too many options. 

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Haven't heard much about the Z Cam E2 on the forums lately

No, surprisingly not. The other day I did some digging to see if it was still a thing, downloaded some test footage (ungraded, sooc) and really loved it. Tbh, from what I know so far, the Z Cam looks like the clear winner for me. However, the Fuji can take photos as well, so it would be MUCH cheaper since I could sell my old camera instead of add on a dedicated video cam. I'm looking forward to playing with footage from the Fuji!

1 minute ago, gnomesteel said:

What's the workflow like with H.265? I'd imagine it's pretty hard on your workstation while editing. 

I can sort of edit 4k H.265 without transcoding in Resolve (I have a decent computer), but I usually create small, 2Mbps HD proxies in H.264. If I edit in Premiere, I export the XML into Resolve otherwise just edit the proxies in Resolve itself. When I'm ready to color, I use the Conform from Bins feature to switch out the proxies for the originals, do my color work, and export. If I need to go back and make changes, I can always Conform from Bins back to the proxies, edit some more, and then Conform my way back to the OG files. It's really very easy, all things considered, and saves terabytes of space over the course of a few projects, compared to Prores.

3 minutes ago, gnomesteel said:

What's the workflow like with H.265? I'd imagine it's pretty hard on your workstation while editing. 

It’s been a few years but when I had the NX500, I transcoded the h.265 files to ProRes in EditReady, and then obviously they cut like butter. But I’m pretty sure Andrew Reid recently mentioned that h.265 was cutting smoothly in FCPX.

Damn impressive offering for anyone, especially Fuji. Faster readout makes all the video, face detection and high FPS stills shooting possible. It looks like Fuji has been able to match Sony in that regard. I like the locking diopter adjustment, I'm always adjusting mine because it get moved in the bag. But...

The stupid mode switch to go between stills and video hasn't changed. The dial fell off one of my XT2's and required a $200 top plate replacement, likely because I was constantly moving between single shot and video. It wouldn't be so bad if they were right next to each other so you're only moving back and forth with one click. That and the 126s battery are the biggest drawbacks, all that capability and the GFX's battery is MIA. Also disappointed they didn't bring the forward facing LCD from the XT100.

I'm renting one, but will hold off on buying to see what Sony brings since presumably this is a new Sony sensor and Fuji has really only caught Sony in most respects with zebras, 425 AF points, -3ev AF, and so on - only surpassing them on the video side. Rumors point to a APS-c Sony with the same features so we'll see how it all shakes out. This bodes well for the XH2, hopefully we don't have to wait a couple more years since its still fairly new.

Chris

I am really happy for Fujifilm, they are believing in their products, this is very encouraging for those who have to invest money on the future.
Let's not forget that it has an uninterrupted raw burst mode up to 30fps with a sensor cutout 1.25.
I will never buy Canon again because of their anti-user policy.
The Fujifilm has geared the right gear, we must support the builders who invest in innovation by moving the bar of the level and pushing the other brands to give more.
I will buy this camera without thinking twice and I will avoid the banal and obvious colors of Sony six-monthly cameras.

58 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Damn impressive offering for anyone, especially Fuji. Faster readout makes all the video, face detection and high FPS stills shooting possible. It looks like Fuji has been able to match Sony in that regard. I like the locking diopter adjustment, I'm always adjusting mine because it get moved in the bag. But...

The stupid mode switch to go between stills and video hasn't changed. The dial fell off one of my XT2's and required a $200 top plate replacement, likely because I was constantly moving between single shot and video. It wouldn't be so bad if they were right next to each other so you're only moving back and forth with one click. That and the 126s battery are the biggest drawbacks, all that capability and the GFX's battery is MIA. Also disappointed they didn't bring the forward facing LCD from the XT100.

I'm renting one, but will hold off on buying to see what Sony brings since presumably this is a new Sony sensor and Fuji has really only caught Sony in most respects with zebras, 425 AF points, -3ev AF, and so on - only surpassing them on the video side. Rumors point to a APS-c Sony with the same features so we'll see how it all shakes out. This bodes well for the XH2, hopefully we don't have to wait a couple more years since its still fairly new.

Chris

The soon-to-be-announced Sony APS-C flagship offers a bit better features than X-T3 (in some way) ?

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I second this... 

I'm happy to have downsampled from 6K sensor...

But, why not give us 6K/24, 5K/30, 4K/60, 3K/100, 2K/120... instead?

These TV resolutions.... you can crop in or resize to get that in post.....

BTW, Fuji... great job on the X-T3... if you are reading this, look into implementing the above with a dedicated video record button at least by the X-T5. 

Speaking of which, with a 1.5 crop of the Super35.... what does it become with a speedbooster? Isn't greater than FF?

3 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

The soon-to-be-announced Sony APS-C flagship offers a bit better features than X-T3 (in some way) ?

Can you at least tell us a release date if you are bound by NDAs?

Looking at the spec page I see a lot of problems with video, sadly:

- 4K60 works for "approx 20min" (sounds like overheating limit to me, I absolutely need unlimited 4K60 recording like GH5)

- 4K60 is cropped 1.18x

- video files are split at 4GB (unusable for me, I don't want to be joining 4GB clips in a video editor before being able to upload the 4K60 footage to YouTube)

- 10bit video internally is 4:2:0 only

- HLG (HDR) not yet available (but they say will come by end of year firmware update, not sure if 4:2:0 follows HLG spec, I thought 4:2:2 had to be the HLG spec)

- no IBIS is no good for video and photo (means a $1000 gimball is compulsory for shots off tripod, I never shoot on tripod)

- battery life is way too short means Battery grip is compulsory but goes through 5+ batteries in 1 day of video shooting.

- LCD is not very bright and does not flip to the side (which rules out a lot of types of video shooting, I don't want to buy a camera without a side flip display)

- Lack of object tracking in autofocus is a very big bummer (although the much better face tracking AF than GH5 is great!)

- It looks like it can't do advanced high profile H265 real-time encoding. Does the H265 options provide lower bitrates which is the promise of H265? What does it do in H264 and what does it do in H265 exactly and at which bitrates for each?

I want all frame rates and resolutions with H265 options at half the bitrate of H264 for the same quality. Is that not what it can do? Does it force you to use H265 for IPB? (without even saving a lot on the bitrate?)

Since NX1 of 5 years ago I am waiting for a camera to be able to do 4K in H265 properly to save up to half the bandwidth and storage and still be YouTube direct upload compatible at the same 4K quality. I want a camera that does 75mbit/s H265 at the same quality as 150mbit/s in H264. Or 100mbit/s in H265 at the same quality as 200mbit/s in H264. This might require a much "stronger" "more advanced" "more complex profile" real-time H265 encoding ability. If YouTube, Netflix and Amazon fit their 4K24 streams within 25mbit/s H265 (encoding using strong multi-pass high profile H265 encoders) then surely there is a camera that can fit 4K60 nicely in about 75mbit/s bitrate in H265 when encoding real-time in camera comparable in quality to what it would do in like the GH5 in 150mbit/s using H264. This may not quite be it, I certainly hope Sony gives us new H265 options in their next A7000 APS-C High End and A7Siii.

22 minutes ago, Charbax said:

4K60 works for "approx 20min" (sounds like overheating limit to me, I absolutely need unlimited 4K60 recording like GH5)

- 4K60 is cropped 1.18x

- video files are split at 4GB (unusable for me, I don't want to be joining 4GB clips in a video editor before being able to upload the 4K60 footage to YouTube)

- HLG (HDR) not yet available (but they say will come by end of year firmware update, not sure if 4:2:0 follows HLG spec, I thought 4:2:2 had to be the HLG spec)

The battery life seems disappointing (less than an hour). 

The crop is minor (though in APS-C).

Video files splitting is strange. 

Recording time limit is disappointing.

Sony has ILCs and smartphones that shoot HLG in 8-bit 4-2-0, so yes it is apparently possible.

Fuji may be saving the IBIS and fully articulating screen for its top end model. Maybe even 20-30 min time limit 

I am unable to understand why someone cannot give us 100mbps H.265 10-bit 4-2-2 Video. 

26 minutes ago, Charbax said:

Looking at the spec page I see a lot of problems with video, sadly:

- 4K60 works for "approx 20min" (sounds like overheating limit to me, I absolutely need unlimited 4K60 recording like GH5)

- 4K60 is cropped 1.18x

- no IBIS is no good for video and photo (means a $1000 gimball is compulsory for shots off tripod, I never shoot on tripod)

- battery life is way too short means Battery grip is compulsory but goes through 5+ batteries in 1 day of video shooting.

- LCD is not very bright and does not flip to the side (which rules out a lot of types of video shooting, I don't want to buy a camera without a side flip display)

- Lack of object tracking in autofocus is a very big bummer (although the much better face tracking AF than GH5 is great!)

- It looks like it can't do advanced high profile H265 real-time encoding. Does the H265 options provide lower bitrates which is the promise of H265? What does it do in H264 and what does it do in H265 exactly and at which bitrates for each?

I want all frame rates and resolutions with H265 options at half the bitrate of H264 for the same quality. Is that not what it can do? Does it force you to use H265 for IPB? (without even saving a lot on the bitrate?)

Since NX1 of 5 years ago I am waiting for a camera to be able to do 4K in H265 properly to save up to half the bandwidth and storage and still be YouTube direct upload compatible at the same 4K quality. I want a camera that does 75mbit/s H265 at the same quality as 150mbit/s in H264. Or 100mbit/s in H265 at the same quality as 200mbit/s in H264. This might require a much "stronger" "more advanced" "more complex profile" real-time H265 encoding ability. If YouTube, Netflix and Amazon fit their 4K24 streams within 25mbit/s H265 (encoding using strong multi-pass high profile H265 encoders) then surely there is a camera that can fit 4K60 nicely in about 75mbit/s bitrate in H265 when encoding real-time in camera comparable in quality to what it would do in like the GH5 in 150mbit/s using H264. This may not quite be it, I certainly hope Sony gives us new H265 options in their next A7000 APS-C High End and A7Siii.

exFAT format for files larger than 4GB will be added via future firmware update.

HLG is broadcast HDR, there's no requirement for bitdepth or colour subsampling, can be 420 or 422, even 8bit.

Gimbal these days are quite lower than $1000.

Implementation of H.265 is purely for hardware-accelerated 10bit.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, mkabi said:

But, why not give us 6K/24, 5K/30, 4K/60, 3K/100, 2K/120... instead?

These TV resolutions.... you can crop in or resize to get that in post.....

I agree they should do 6K H.265.

The GH5 6K Photo Mode is the only thing that comes close.

I don't really consider it an absolute must-have but I don't understand why the don't seize the marketing-hype opportunity of being the first 6K camera.

Not everything has to be tied to TV specs, especially for advanced users. Maybe they are worried about the customer support calls when Mr Average tries 6K H.265 playback on his Chrome Book or wind-up CRT television.

By the way I think Fuji are doing a great job. Love the X-H1 and the X-T3 as a photo cam had no reason to be this good at video!! It's lovely for $1500. Let's be grateful it exists.

There are a number of Canon engineers who really admire Fujifilm and look up to them. They must be pretty dissatisfied at their management for the EOS R state of affairs.

Some insight into Matthew Libatique ASC (Darren Arronofsky's regular DP, Black Swan, etc) promo shoot with the X-T3

https://www.fdtimes.com/2018/09/06/fujifilm-x-t3/