C100 - Mark I, Mark II, or just wait???

BrunoLandMedia

21 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow that sounds damn expensive! Is that what you guys have to pay across the pond? Yikes! There is one on there for 2700 bucks, but local pickup only.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-C100-Mark-II-Cinema-EOS-Camera-64GB-Package/201274468445?hash=item2edce4a85d%3Ag%3AlLsAAOSwm8VUyAjA&LH_BIN=1

There is no seller that has sold hundreds, thousands of items EVER going to have a 100% feedback rating! Ain't happening. You could give someone something for free and they would piss a bitch it took 3 days to get there LoL.

But yeah, I would not buy one from someone with 80% rating.

There are always sellers with 100% feedback, and I agree some people complain for nothing, but to choose a seller with 80% when you are spending more than 500 buks is suicide, you have to review all his negative feedback, check it carefully, and if you see a lot of unjustified complains, well yes, you can choose a seller up to 98%, there is a reason I never had an issue buying from ebay meanwhile others are craying in the corners their money gone, as I said, I have more than ten years buying from ebay....and never lost my money!!!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Bought a  c100 mark ii a few weeks ago for 2100€, had kind of the same question here.

Its a breeze to use, super fast, crazy small files but editable enough for me just nail the exposure and thats not hard with the ND´s and awesome Iso performance.

Got the Tamron 24-70 2.8 on it, stabalizes pretty good, everything I need for now.

With a 128gb card you can shoot a whole day and that redundant. I think the camera said around 450 minutes or so, its crazy.

On 8/22/2018 at 4:41 PM, BrunoLandMedia said:

I've never been compelled to get the 24-105 from all the reviews, and on a crop/s35, it just isn't great, but the constant f/4 still seems better than the 18-135, but maybe I'm wrong. 

18-135 USM with power zoom: I have it, haven't used it with the c100 yet, but not amazing with my 80d. It totally works, but I always get better overall quality from my other lenses, even if they don't fit the situation. I guess I'll just have to see the quality with the c100 once I use the combo. 

70-200 f/2.8 II: Definitely the best lens I have, but not wide enough for a lot of situations, and not great for run and gun (weight & focal length). 

24-70 f/4 IS: It's weird, I'm just not that impressed with this lens. I've had it for a while, and the IS works for video, but I still keep the 35 f/2 on my 6d or the 16-35 f/4 most of the time. It's just never fast enough inside and things just never look as good. 24-70 f/2.8 could just never work for me without the IS for handheld and monopod video. 

Primes: 35 f/2 IS is great for me, I might even buy a second. Works for both Crop and FF. I'm looking at the 85 f/1.4 IS but it's so expensive. I might just settle for the 100mm f/2.8L IS but there are not a lot of reviews on this lens for video. Any thoughts? I know a slower 85 f/1.8 would be good for tripod but seems like a waste if I can't handhold. 

I guess everyone has a need for a fast zoom with IS. 24-70, 16-80. Anything really, but nothing seems to exist there right now. 

Ok, those are my lens complaints/questions. 

Are you in the US? Most of the listings on Fred Miranda's Buy & Sell board are US/Canada based, and you'll generally get better deals than fleabay since you're avoiding their ridiculous fees. You can regularly find 24-70/2.8 II's in the $1000 range, sometimes less if you don't mind external wear on the barrel.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

There was a C100 on there a couple months ago for $1200. And there are a few WTB listings that show a mkII was bought. I'd post a WTB thread and an alert for any new FS listings to see what comes up.

IMO 24mm is a little tight on a s35 sensor, especially inside, do you have any wides? Most of Cartel Land was shot with the 17-55/2.8 on a C300, and if you've watched it, the lens can certainly take a beating. I've only used it on a 60d, while its not perfect and a little noisy, its a useful range and brings in twice as much light as the 24-105 and its a constant aperture so no worries about exposure changes compared to something like the 18-135. If you're shooting R&G and 1080p, I can't imagine anyone would notice the IQ difference between that and something like the Sigma 18-35, but you do get the extra stop with the Sig and some wide angle/shallow DOF, which is a look I really like. Though something like the 18-135 nano seems like a no brainer as a knock-around lens, especially at used prices.

Cheers

Chris

Picked up one for $2400 from a production company. Totally still the top of my budget at the moment, but it will hang on the credit card for a month till I can make it up with an extra job. 

I have seen some great footage online from the mark 2's. I am a pretty good editor and know my way around the canon DSLR's so I hope the learning curve isn't that steep. 

I also am going to try out the 24-105 Mark II.  I know the original 24-105 is a workhorse but the world is sort of split on it's results. Half say it works, half say it's to dark. So I picked up a 24-105 Mark ii yesterday during eBays %15 off sale ($100 off) I'll either keep to replace my 24-70 f/4, or resell if it doesn't work. I have used my 18-135 a lot, but I know the quality is just not that great. 

I did a test a while ago on 80d of the 18-135, my current 24-70 f/4 and at the time, a Canon Refurb Purchased 24-105 Mark ii. The L's were so much sharper, even at iso 100 that it was hard to even justify having the 18-135, but before my 6d2, I really needed something for the range, so returned the 24-105 and kept switching between the 35 f/2 and 18-135 when I needed it. 

Now, with a 6d2, and the c100ii I have use for a 24-105. I'm hoping that the new 24-105mkii, while not "blow you away good" will be much closer to f/4 and with the better low light on c100 compared to my 80d tests, won't make it suffer. I know the IS is much better than the original. Of course I'll use 35 f/2 for a lot of B-roll, but I'm hoping the 24-105 will cover way better than the 18-135. Also, c100 is only 1.5 crop instead of 1.6, so that might help the wide end of the 24 a little bit. I have my 16-35 f/4 or even 10-18 stm if I need wider. I've also seen a lot of people using 24 primes on c100's so it can't be that bad of a focal length. 

No matter what my desire for primes or my 70-200 f/2.8 offers me, I still need that run and gun zoom lens so I'm not missing shots in and out of classrooms and other places in my school. 

Can't wait to start using it! Thanks for all the advice.

5 hours ago, BrunoLandMedia said:

Picked up one for $2400 from a production company. Totally still the top of my budget at the moment, but it will hang on the credit card for a month till I can make it up with an extra job. 

I have seen some great footage online from the mark 2's. I am a pretty good editor and know my way around the canon DSLR's so I hope the learning curve isn't that steep. 

I also am going to try out the 24-105 Mark II.  I know the original 24-105 is a workhorse but the world is sort of split on it's results. Half say it works, half say it's to dark. So I picked up a 24-105 Mark ii yesterday during eBays %15 off sale ($100 off) I'll either keep to replace my 24-70 f/4, or resell if it doesn't work. I have used my 18-135 a lot, but I know the quality is just not that great. 

I did a test a while ago on 80d of the 18-135, my current 24-70 f/4 and at the time, a Canon Refurb Purchased 24-105 Mark ii. The L's were so much sharper, even at iso 100 that it was hard to even justify having the 18-135, but before my 6d2, I really needed something for the range, so returned the 24-105 and kept switching between the 35 f/2 and 18-135 when I needed it. 

Now, with a 6d2, and the c100ii I have use for a 24-105. I'm hoping that the new 24-105mkii, while not "blow you away good" will be much closer to f/4 and with the better low light on c100 compared to my 80d tests, won't make it suffer. I know the IS is much better than the original. Of course I'll use 35 f/2 for a lot of B-roll, but I'm hoping the 24-105 will cover way better than the 18-135. Also, c100 is only 1.5 crop instead of 1.6, so that might help the wide end of the 24 a little bit. I have my 16-35 f/4 or even 10-18 stm if I need wider. I've also seen a lot of people using 24 primes on c100's so it can't be that bad of a focal length. 

No matter what my desire for primes or my 70-200 f/2.8 offers me, I still need that run and gun zoom lens so I'm not missing shots in and out of classrooms and other places in my school. 

Can't wait to start using it! Thanks for all the advice.

Is the 18-135 the stm version?  when the lighting conditions are good its my favorite handheld run and gun lens for the c100 due its light weight and stabilization.  It also can use the face tracking autofocus. see 1min mark below.

It's actually the 18-135 usm Nano. Problem is that I'm inside a lot with not great lighting. In the past with DSLR's, I've bene using auto ISO when just running around a classroom, or hallways, or outside (in and out of shade etc) just to get shots without have time to re expose every shot. Obviously that's not going to work as well on c100, so I was hoping constant aperture would be at least one benefit. 

Thanks for the video, I have the 70-200 as well, just fantastic, but not a run and gun lens. 

11 hours ago, BrunoLandMedia said:

Thanks for the video, I have the 70-200 as well, just fantastic, but not a run and gun lens. 

For your consideration, the Sigma 50-150mm F2.8... The version without image stabilization is a very nice compact lens. Designed for aps-c. Can sometimes still be found new, although it has been discontinued... I hope Sigma comes up with a similar specced lens, as the new 50-100 F1.8 is so massive.

OK,

Now I'm going to look a little stupid. I've had a little time with the c100 ii and having a hard time adjusting. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe this camera is just not right for me and my run and gun style

First, exposure is a total issue right now, I am completely out of wack with it. on DSLR, I keep my Aperture wide open most of the time (except for certain shooting), shutter at 180 degrees and let Auto ISO do it's thing for Run and Gun. Of course when I have time to set up shots like Interviews, longer programs, performances, I will manually adjust ISO, and white balance. But for the run and gun, Auto ISO is really a fantastic option. BUT with the c100ii, that isn't an option and now I find my self fumbling with ND's and auto Iris or trying to click a few buttons to adjust ISO above 850 and it is really not very easy to do on the fly. 

Also, ND's are easier to understand and seem to work great outside and in brighter light, but auto Iris totally changes my DOF obviously. Then if 850 ISO is too dark, I can't assign the handle wheel to ISO (only shutter) so I have to click into the menu and fumble there for a bit. 

Is there anyway to get faster exposure?? or am I just going to have to work way different?

Another issue: I use 60 fps all the time intermixed on run and gun. Just about in every video. I have it saved as a custom button on top of 6d and 80d. on the c100, I'm having hard time finding a quick way to navigate this. Has anyone found that fastest way to switch between 24fps and 60fps without 4 or 5 steps. 

Now, I have a full event shoot tomorrow and I am going to suck it up and try to use it the best I can and see what I get but if anyone has any help or ideas about this it would be great. I'm starting to feel like, although this camera will give me better quality, it might not work for my work flow. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, BrunoLandMedia said:

OK,

Now I'm going to look a little stupid. I've had a little time with the c100 ii and having a hard time adjusting. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe this camera is just not right for me and my run and gun style

First, exposure is a total issue right now, I am completely out of wack with it. on DSLR, I keep my Aperture wide open most of the time (except for certain shooting), shutter at 180 degrees and let Auto ISO do it's thing for Run and Gun. Of course when I have time to set up shots like Interviews, longer programs, performances, I will manually adjust ISO, and white balance. But for the run and gun, Auto ISO is really a fantastic option. BUT with the c100ii, that isn't an option and now I find my self fumbling with ND's and auto Iris or trying to click a few buttons to adjust ISO above 850 and it is really not very easy to do on the fly. 

Also, ND's are easier to understand and seem to work great outside and in brighter light, but auto Iris totally changes my DOF obviously. Then if 850 ISO is too dark, I can't assign the handle wheel to ISO (only shutter) so I have to click into the menu and fumble there for a bit. 

Is there anyway to get faster exposure?? or am I just going to have to work way different?

Another issue: I use 60 fps all the time intermixed on run and gun. Just about in every video. I have it saved as a custom button on top of 6d and 80d. on the c100, I'm having hard time finding a quick way to navigate this. Has anyone found that fastest way to switch between 24fps and 60fps without 4 or 5 steps. 

Now, I have a full event shoot tomorrow and I am going to suck it up and try to use it the best I can and see what I get but if anyone has any help or ideas about this it would be great. I'm starting to feel like, although this camera will give me better quality, it might not work for my work flow. 

Cheers

Try the auto iris function and toggling quickly to 60fps is a pain.

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, C100M2 Shooter said:

I am very happy with my bouth C100 and C100 Mark II and they do very pleasent work together unless you don't need 4K. Nowdays there is a lot of second hand option but if you need a new one here on Amazon 

https://amzn.to/2W4nt68

If you need more info about it let me know. Thanks

Yeah they are indeed both great. The image isn't 4k and the bitrate is low and only 8-bit 4.2.0, but if you're not grading and need quick edit and delivery, they are just perfect.
Just think an event or wedding, 1 on tripod and other handheld. Shoot WideDR, no grading needed.
Small very sharp 1080p files for quick edit on the go (on low budget laptop). Export to 1080p or upscale to 4k for delivery.

fs700 is no slouch neither. need to to more testing but internal slog2 is pretty good, especially with that slim 8bit codec at 24mbit. Produces large artefacts/blocks with super fast movements though. External recording solves that. For camera nerds these oldtimers are great fun to use. What is the rolling shutter on the c100, mark 1 and 2?

On 4/28/2020 at 10:38 AM, C100M2 Shooter said:

I am very happy with my bouth C100 and C100 Mark II and they do very pleasent work together unless you don't need 4K. Nowdays there is a lot of second hand option but if you need a new one here on Amazon 

https://amzn.to/2W4nt68

If you need more info about it let me know. Thanks

spam..... 

14 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Double the new price and no warranty. 🤣

Anyway, got my C100II second hand for about 1000 euro with 18-135mm lens, multiple batteries and rode mic.

Used to be my favorite run n gun for very fast deliveries combo. It would be perfect if it was 16mm at the wide end, as 24mm equiv. is the sweet spot for me to start an all around zoom.

Other combos I really enjoyed using through the years.

NX1+16-50S

GH5+Olympus 12-100mm

P4K with that same lens.