So I have just purchased a mint Iscorama pre 36, what next?

mirekti

Hi all, I am totally new to anamorphic world, and my only experience was with iPhone, and SLR Magic Compact 40... ...damn, is this Iscorama expensive. :)

Anyhow, my plan it to mostly used it as run and gun setup with following gear:

Camera: Panasonic GH5S
Lenses: Leica Summicron-R 50mm and added Metabones 0.64x for wider shots.
Gimbal: Zhiyun Crane 2
Smallrig camera base with 8in/20cm rods.

I also own Leica M glass which was acquired during the past decade out of which I might try to use Summicron-M 75mm and APO-Telyt 135mm.
The setup will be used on tripod, but as already written above it will mostly be used as run and gun on the gimbal so it needs to stay small, compact and "light". This brings me to next part of the setup.

There is a Proxiscope close focus mod for Iscorama 36, and new Maxiscope. I will probably go with the former as the latter seems a bit tricky (or better to say I don't comprehend it all at the moment), yet it is very tempting as it includes new housing with a ring mount.

What I am not sure of is what clamp would you recommend to bond the taking lens and Iscorama?
I have checked Redstan Iscorama Clamp, and it seems quite well built. This is my favorite so far if I go with Proxiscope. If I go with Maxiscope which seems to include a full pack I wouldn't need clamp at all. 

I would kindly ask Iscorama owners what they think about the best solution would be going Proxiscope + Clamp route or Maxiscope?
In Maxiscope video one can see the mod removes inside elements rotation lock. I am not sure how often would this require adjustments as it can freely spin. Probably it wouldn't, just a thought.

Thanks a lot!!!

PS
Did I say Iscorama was quite expensive? ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
41 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Could this thread on here help you??

Yes, this helped a lot. I had spent some time doing my own research, came to conclusion what would have been the best available addons for Iscorama and only then shared my thoughts in the initial post. Just wanted to get some kind of confirmation I was on the right path, and if my ideas deviated from general consensus an advice from more experienced users then I am.

Anyhow, I purchased Redstan clamp and in a proces of purchasing Proxiscope.

One thing that struck me, and actually made me reply to my initial post was Alan Doyle from Redstan.

First I was bugging him with numerous silly questions about the clamp, and eventually (after I bought the clamp), on his own (he probably realized how silly/confused I was), without asking him, he wrote me two pages about Iscorama 36, which were a real pleasure to read, from Iscorama’s usage history to the taking lenses. I was so amazed by his approach that I had to write it here. 

Nhf everyone, first next thing is to test how good/bad the copy I bought is. I’ll keep you posted.

Cheers!!!

here's my take:

-consider that the summicron has a protruding back element, so it might bump into your speedbooster XL and not reach infinity

-it sounds like you're more of a proxiscope shooter instead of maxiscope. If you plan to use it as single person shooter and want to keep it light go for the proxiscope. Maxiscope is great for pro use with bigger teams, bigger sets. I would choose the proxiscope also. 

-for clamp i see a lot of people just stack step up rings, because you can align the iscorama. I own the redstan clamp and it is amazing. Go for that and you also have a foot, so rod support is also possible from there if needed. 

-enjoy that iscorama, still on the hunt for one. Hit me up if you ever plan to sell it. ?

36 minutes ago, IshootbeforeItalk said:

-consider that the summicron has a protruding back element, so it might bump into your speedbooster XL and not reach infinity

I will receive it tomorrow and try it out. Was under impression it would work based on this picture.
Leica-Summicron-R-50mm-F2-Noctilux-Elmar\\

38 minutes ago, IshootbeforeItalk said:

it sounds like you're more of a proxiscope shooter instead of maxiscope

Yes I am trying to purchase Proxiscope. I wish though there was a version which would rotate, but keep the threads in place so ND filter doesn't spin when focusing.

40 minutes ago, IshootbeforeItalk said:

I own the redstan clamp and it is amazing

That's nice to hear. Mine is to be delivered tomorrow.

41 minutes ago, IshootbeforeItalk said:

enjoy that iscorama, still on the hunt for one

There's one on Ebay, but the price is...

Thanks for the comments. I can't wait to put the lens on the camera. :)

22 hours ago, mirekti said:

Wow, this has been sitting here for two days and not a single reply, very encouraging.

I guess my expectations of the community was a bit too high.

FYI comments like this tend to make other not want to help rather than encourage them to take time away from their lives to help out... I have owned a dozen anamorphic lenses from the gold isco's to cineovisions but I guess the two day time limit is up for advice.

1 hour ago, dhessel said:

FYI comments like this tend to make other not want to help rather than encourage them to take time away from their lives to help out... I have owned a dozen anamorphic lenses from the gold isco's to cineovisions but I guess the two day time limit is up for advice.

That’s ok. I said what I meant and I meant what I said (Dr. Seuss).

I also apologized and all in all I believe I am set, it will either work or it won’t. 

Cheers everyone!!!

Ok, the lens has arrived. It is very, very nice given its age. The focus is very smooth, but it requires much more force then my Leica M or R glass. Few dust particals, but super clean glass. Maybe I’ll send it to Brian in New York for CLA, but not yet, I have just received it. :)

Is this expected or I should take it apart and relube the helicoid? What lube would you recommend? I was thinking of using very small amount of this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0014ZU03M/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A2YDFU61Q3TGJD&psc=1 or something even thinner if anyone suggests.

PS Metabones XL EF -> Leica R to EF adapter -> Summicron-R 50mm fits. I should received the clamp today and finally check what it delivers.