Rawlite OLPF for UMP

AaronChicago

I just installed a new Rawlite OLPF into my UMP, mainly for IR cut purposes, but also to take the edge off of sharpness. Take a look at the before/after below. Skintones are much improved under tungsten lighting.

Here is a moire test on Rawlite's site:

http://rawlite.com/olpf-for-blackmagic-ursa-mini-pro-4-6k/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/19/2018 at 7:19 AM, AaronChicago said:

I just installed a new Rawlite OLPF into my UMP, mainly for IR cut purposes, but also to take the edge off of sharpness. Take a look at the before/after below. Skintones are much improved under tungsten lighting.

Here is a moire test on Rawlite's site:

http://rawlite.com/olpf-for-blackmagic-ursa-mini-pro-4-6k/

Yeah, wow, that is a night and day difference on the skin tones. And they didn’t look bad to begin with.

It would be great if they could make one for the GH5. 

On 8/23/2018 at 8:27 PM, BenEricson said:

Looks great. It's kinda crazy that BM didn't put a IR cut filter in the original pocket. The camera is not very usable without, but amazing with.

There is an IR cut filter in the sensor cover glass.

Its about how aggressive or mild you want it to be. 

JB

On 8/23/2018 at 8:27 PM, BenEricson said:

The camera is not very usable without, but amazing with.

Seriously?

I wouldn't want to guess at how much work of all types has been produced and now much money made with the camera.

I've worked with several in our kit and know lot's of other professionals who've done the same with the camera as it was delivered.

It's proven to be amazing period.

1 hour ago, Jim Giberti said:

Seriously?

I wouldn't want to guess at how much work of all types has been produced and now much money made with the camera.

I've worked with several in our kit and know lot's of other professionals who've done the same with the camera as it was delivered.

It's proven to be amazing period.

Are you saying you use it without the IR cut filter? In my experience the camera is about 5x better colorize when there's no IR contamination. 

No, we don't use the Rawlite OLPF that is the thread subject.

Yes of course, we protect against IR contamination. And with BM cameras we use Hoya ProNDs and Firecrest IR cut filters and ND. 

But that isn't the subject of the discussion or my response.

So again:

There is an IR cut filter in all BM cameras.

Using additional IR cut is wise in many situations - particularly with tungsten lighting and ND filtration.

Like all issues, it's a matter of degree and judgement as strong IR filtration can negatively affect color balance.

The Pocket is very useable without a Rawlite OLPF installed.

I would be interested in using an OLPF for suppression of moiré just a much as for IR contamination reasons.

I have heard about some users having experienced an apparent unevenness of IR contamination exhibited by the sensor on occasion. This described characteristic also does seem to appear in the video posted below at about the 1:08 min mark. The uneven magenta color shift seems fairly obvious with the range of focus pull that is shown in this video. It’s almost like the plane of focus is affected at a distance between were it is focused at the sensor position and near or around the added OLPF position.

Have others, when using an added OLPF in certain situations, experienced any further increase of this particular situation occurring?

RAWLITE OLPF for Black Magic URSA Mini Pro - Fabrics Moire (HD)

(starting @around the 1:08 min mark)

https://vimeo.com/285708554

20 hours ago, Nrubloc said:

I would be interested in using an OLPF for suppression of moiré just a much as for IR contamination reasons.

I have heard about some users having experienced an apparent unevenness of IR contamination exhibited by the sensor on occasion. This described characteristic also does seem to appear in the video posted below at about the 1:08 min mark. The uneven magenta color shift seems fairly obvious with the range of focus pull that is shown in this video. It’s almost like the plane of focus is affected at a distance between were it is focused at the sensor position and near or around the added OLPF position.

Have others, when using an added OLPF in certain situations, experienced any further increase of this particular situation occurring?

RAWLITE OLPF for Black Magic URSA Mini Pro - Fabrics Moire (HD)

(starting @around the 1:08 min mark)

https://vimeo.com/285708554

Anyone else?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Aaron, your RAWLITE footage looks amazing! Was this footage shot in RAW using the new Color Science Version 4 that's in Davinci Resolve 15? The new color science really makes the UM46K footage look closer to Alexa. I did ttests was was blown away not only by skin tones but by the way it renders all colors more naturally and thicker. 

Below is some footage a guy graded using the new V4 color science. Check it out.