Elon Musk

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Required reading!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/business/elon-musk-interview-tesla.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

https://www.thecut.com/2018/08/azealia-bankss-feud-elon-musk-grimes-explained.html

So Tesla has some unnecessary side-battles to fight now, which I am sure the oil and established auto industry will use against their biggest rival. It's important for the whole damn planet that Elon Musk achieves his goals at Tesla and at SpaceX. Vital for humanity. People simply cannot get their heads around this. They are constantly gossiping and looking for ways to bring him down. Sure he's overworked. Yes, on sleeping pills. Maybe he even has a girlfriend (musician Grimes) who may not be the most stable presence (personally, I like her!). Yes, he may well have been on acid when he made the tweet about securing funding to take the company private at $420 a share. Who cares.

People need to look past all this gossip, even the possible breach of the law, and give the guy a break.

Imagine our city streets with no pollution and breathable air.

Imagine a home on another planet, ready to continue humanity after we fuck up this one.

Every investor in Tesla should let Musk concentrate on his health away from the extra pressure of lawsuits.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Comment on the New York Times piece says it best:

"Reading this comment board makes me sad for America. We used to hail our successes and revere exceptionally productive people. Anyone who has driven a Tesla knows it is a marvel of modern American engineering. Just putting that car on the road is a stunning accomplishment. But Elon Musk also has a thriving rocket company, is building the world’s largest battery factory, was a founder of PayPal and has dozens of other accomplishments to his name. In today’s America, that’s a reason to be ridiculed and despised. The Internet has destroyed this great land — giving every citizen a forum to anonymously expel their most venomous bile. I wouldn’t blame Musk for selling out to the Saudis. They wouldn’t put him through the insufferably inane garbage that gets flung at him in this country."

Any environmentalist worth his/her salt would immediately point out to his dislike of public transportation. His vision is the same car-centric gridlocked cities, but with electric vehicles. So, I wish him a lot of success, but the is not a true visionary, just a capitalist that is driving the current trends. He also has made some ridicules comments regarding media, which is worrisome.

Tesla is a bit like Sony - very innovative, but once the established forces pick up on the tech, they will drown it out simply with their manufacturing might and retail presence.

Eon Musk is without a doubt an exceptional person and he doesn't deserve all this drama. That being said, in the larger scheme of things we shouldn't overestimate his reach. While Tesla is an amazing accomplishment this is not going to save the planet. Even if a large chunk of the population move to electric cars, the power has to come from somewhere which is mainly coal powerplant in the world (see Germany when they close many nuclear plants to please the green party, they moved to coal and imports). The recharge time is also an issue, but hey, Rome wasn't build in a day and it's already an amazing achievement that goes in the right direction. He did better by himself that all the regular car manufacturers.

As for SpaceX, I'm more reserved. First, this has been heavily founded by governmental money. It's not like he did it all on private fund. Something to remember for all the "100% private economy" people. But again, not a big issue and already an impressive achievement.

The point of "colonizing" Mars is complicated though. First, why don't we work on keeping earth afloat and not fuck this planet beyond repair? The Mars colonization idea gived the false impression that earth is disposable which is ok because we'll move to Mars afterward...
But even if SpaceX improves the launcher technology, this is still a very inefficient endeavor and Mars is not habitable. Long story short, terraforming Mars would require thousand of rockets at a cost probably greater than the actual US GDP. Even if we succeed at creating an atmosphere on Mars, there is no magnetosphere there because this planet is geologically dead inside. So without magnetosphere like on Earth the atmosphere will be washed out by solar winds and I'm not talking about radiations and UV.

In any case, I really wish him luck and success. The $420 tweet was fun ;)

15 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

I love Tesla and what Elon Musk is doing, but I hate Tesla fanboys like on electrek.co website.

Yeah, fanboys is general are stupid. Elon Musk is no god nor evil. Just a very smart guys with outstanding achievements and failures like all great men in history. I just find it hypocrite when people goes from love to hate in a few weeks. No one is perfect.

18 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Required reading!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/business/elon-musk-interview-tesla.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

https://www.thecut.com/2018/08/azealia-bankss-feud-elon-musk-grimes-explained.html

So Tesla has some unnecessary side-battles to fight now, which I am sure the oil and established auto industry will use against their biggest rival. It's important for the whole damn planet that Elon Musk achieves his goals at Tesla and at SpaceX. Vital for humanity. People simply cannot get their heads around this. They are constantly gossiping and looking for ways to bring him down. Sure he's overworked. Yes, on sleeping pills. Maybe he even has a girlfriend (musician Grimes) who may not be the most stable presence (personally, I like her!). Yes, he may well have been on acid when he made the tweet about securing funding to take the company private at $420 a share. Who cares.

People need to look past all this gossip, even the possible breach of the law, and give the guy a break.

Imagine our city streets with no pollution and breathable air.

Imagine a home on another planet, ready to continue humanity after we fuck up this one.

Every investor in Tesla should let Musk concentrate on his health away from the extra pressure of lawsuits.

I think we have to be fairly careful when we go down this sort of path.

I am 100% behind the concept that we should give visionaries room to breath if we are going to  progress but that doesnt mean they should be immune from criticism.

My personal opinion of Elon Musk is that while he is a clearly a visionary (and more importantly is incredibly adept at getting financing to turn his vision towards reality) he also skirts the borders of 'vision' and 'hubris'. Take the fact that he launched a 'Tesla' into space. Fabulous but should we celebrate this as a 'hubris' or the 'pinnacle of human achievement'. And before anyone says achievement of anything at is worth celebrating, I would say that it is almost exactly 50 years since the US achieved landing the first person on the moon which largely proved that many things arent really worth achieving in the first place.

But we have a more significant problem. You see I seriously dont have any problem with Elon Musk doing exactly what he pleases with his money (on acid or not) rather like I do not have any problem with Trump being rather eccentric (with an unhealthy obsession with his daughter) - nbut I dont think it is wise to make him President of the US. So once, Elon Musk starts using other peoples money - he is CEO of a US$50bn public company - he has to be held to certain public standards or at least within the Law. Once someone is managing your capital 'who cares?' or 'he was probably on acid' just doesnt really cut it. 

Personally, I think there is a serious disconnect here. A 'visionary' who is essentially looking say 50 years in advance, is probably uniquely unqualified for running the day to day operations of a public company or being CEO of a company reporting quarterly earnings

Battery powered vehicles are a technological dead end. They are incredibly wasteful in terms of resources. The refuelling problem is insurmountable. There is no way that any more than a fraction of the millions & millions of petrol & diesel powered vehicles world wide will ever be replaced with battery powered electric vehicles.

The future fuel for vehicles is probably hydrogen using either an internal combustion engine or fuel cell.