Dolly-Zoom (Vertigo effect) in next DJI drone

salim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, salim said:

So looks like at least one DJI product (Maybe Mavic pro II or maybe another model) will have a Dolly Zoom function! 

I hope this automatic. The zoom changes in proportion to the movement of the drone. Check out the video teaser where they should this: 

The Argos catalog that released the 'leaks' on the Mavic 2 (Pro and zoom) implies that the 'dolly zoom' is restricted to the 'zoom' version which is expected to be a 1/1.7" 12mp sensor with a 2x optical zoom. Seems a shame as the 'Pro' is expected to be a 1" 20mp sensor which has plenty of on sensor 'zoom' capability (at 1080) to also do a dolly zoom.

Argos2.thumb.jpg.a2076068ed730ac0eefe4b904ab0a686.jpg

23 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

If it's a digital zoom, then what's the point?  All drone footage can be manipulated to do this in post.

I might be wrong about it being digital, you'd have to watch the video in detail to confirm.

In terms of advantages of doing things in-camera vs in-post, if you have a limited bitrate for the output file there's a non-trivial difference between the camera scaling the RAW data and then compressing it with the full bitrate of the codec vs taking the already compressed file out of the drone into post and then cropping in to that image and effectively discarding some of that limited bitrate.

The disadvantage of doing things in-camera is that you're stuck with them in post, whereas doing it in post allows you to exactly match the zoom with the crop.  Ideally you'd shoot RAW and then it wouldn't matter, but that's not the price-point we're talking with these drones! :)

26 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

If it's a digital zoom, then what's the point?  All drone footage can be manipulated to do this in post.

Well yes and no. Assuming that the 'pro' is a 1 inch 20mp sensor that shoots 4k (8mp), it is quite possible that you can zoom 1.4x digitally without any loss is resolution. If you shoot in 4k and zoom in post you are reducing the resolution.

I am looking forward to next Thursday's Mavic 2 release.

We do know a couple of details courtesy of Argos

1) Flight time increased from 27 to 31 minutes over Mavic 1. Range increased 1km to 8km.

2) Mavic 2 will have active tracking 2.0 which will preumably be much better than active tracking 1.0 (which I havent found to be particularly useful.

3) Omnidirection obstacle avoidance sensors

4) Mavic 2 will  have APAS. APAS was introduced on the Mavic Air. This looks great - demonstration here...

I am sure we will get some more flight modes. A 'hyperlapse' mode would be awsome and save a lot of time.

Another possiblity is that DJI will also announce a small handheld gimbal to attach the detachable camera unit. We have seen drawings and what looks like a photo.