Samsung eying return to camera market as Galaxy smartphone shipments fall

Andrew Reid

The chance that I will buy an upgrade for my NX1 this autumn is huge. If it is the A7SIII, A6700, Nikon mirrorless or later XH2(?), I have to decide jet. That Samsung left the market is their biggest problem. I really, really like the NX1, but they have to bring news that they really come back soon, otherwise i will never buy Samsung again. Or they do it NOW, or they definitive stop rumour and develop new washing machines or so. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
20 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

When did Zeiss last make a camera?!?!

The Zeiss Ikon ZM M mount stopped production about 5 or 6 years ago I think.

Zeiss-Ikon-Edition_a.jpg.64c8f2eec97ea8de73ae1f0d66d05905.jpg

Looks like this new one will be a fixed lens digital version of it like Leica have done with the Q, albeit with a 35mm instead of a 28mm.

The Zeiss f2 35mm is about £1000 and the f1.4 is about £1600 so if the price quoted for this new one is right you would imagine it might be the f2 they have in it but if its the f1.4 then...well...that would be very interesting against the RX1Rii and especially the Leica Q.

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Zeiss-Ikon-Edition_a.jpg.64c8f2eec97ea8de73ae1f0d66d05905.jpg

Looks like this new one will be a fixed lens digital version of it like Leica have done with the Q, albeit with a 35mm instead of a 28mm.

The Zeiss f2 35mm is about £1000 and the f1.4 is about £1600 so if the price quoted for this new one is right you would imagine it might be the f2 they have in it but if its the f1.4 then...well...that would be very interesting against the RX1Rii and especially the Leica Q.

Or just reskin the rx1rii and charge $1000 name tax,  my bet is priced similar or higher than Q

• Super Members
53 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Or just reskin the rx1rii and charge $1000 name tax,  my bet is priced similar or higher than Q

Yeah, the rumour link quotes $3000 which is the same sort of price as the RX1Rii so you'd think there would be a premium so another $1K gets it closer but still a few hundred off the Leica Q.

Unless you go for the new Globe-Trotter special edition which is, erm, $7000 

Leica-Q-Globe-Trotter-limited-edition-camera-announced-in-Japan.jpg.ddda73aabb4afe2e10e86293becbdac6.jpg

13 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Ah I see!

So I'll ask a new question instead:

"When did Zeiss last make a digital camera??"

7 hours ago, ntblowz said:

That is my guess too, a reskinned Sony camera.

9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

That is my guess too, a reskinned Sony camera.

One possibility here is that Sony is not planning to come out with a RX1riii (and are handing the line to Zeiss in return for some moolah). So essentially you get an RX1riii in Zeiss clothing. It makes sense to me in terms of branding...

• Super Members
7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Ah I see!

So I'll ask a new question instead:

"When did Zeiss last make a digital camera??"

Their joint venture stuff with Contax would count I guess so it would be the Contax TVS in 2002 with all its 5 megapixel CCD goodness.

fd602630-369a-43ac-99ce-2c8376cc3c37.jpg.21f49c5288bebef606e2600c7594f6c2.jpg

49 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Their joint venture stuff with Contax would count I guess so it would be the Contax TVS in 2002 with all its 5 megapixel CCD goodness.

But these were never branded as Zeiss cameras. 
Lots of products have had Zeiss branded lenses. 

• Super Members
33 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

But these were never branded as Zeiss cameras. 
Lots of products have had Zeiss branded lenses. 

Its slightly different when it comes to Contax cameras though as Contax was originally a camera model name of the Zeiss Ikon company before becoming a brand name in itself but still owned by Zeiss.

The modern Contax cameras were produced as a manufacturing joint effort with Yashica after an aborted link up with Pentax and Zeiss still retain the rights to the Contax brand name.

Its semantics I suppose but a Contax branded product is still technically a Zeiss branded product as Contax is a Zeiss brand.

Just spelt differently ;)