Machine for Resolve 14/15 - Win 10

hansel

Lucky me it is time to upgrade to a more recent desktop pc after 10 years of drinking coffee while the computer is rendering. 

I would love to get some insights about what is really necessary. Budget is about 500-1500€ plus maybe a cheeky monitor thrown in. I would love make the switch to resolve completely once p4k is the new king of the castle. Until then it should slice up compressed hd files like hot knife through butter in premiere and resolve. 

Would you go double screen or wide screen. Maybe a wide hd and added 4K screen? And what does this mean for GPU? Should I keep in mind to go double GPU in the future? Should I go Gtx 1080 or are the 4gb ones ok even for moderate 4K editing?

It looks like options are getting a cheap two generations down pc for 450,- which will blow my old machine away but maybe not bulletproof enough to last me through my 4K life? 

Or do you suggest getting 1080 double gpu Ryzen Threadkiller or biggest 7 and save up a bit longer? I mainly shoot short I image videos up to 5min with transitions, speed ramping, grain, etc.. maybe a title animation grown in there, nothing to fancy. 

Helpful would probably be something like: “I have this setup and shoot gh5 4K easy.....” so I can get a bit more perspective.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have Intel i7-8700K (6/12 core), 32GB, 64bit Win 10 Pro, 6GB 780GTX and it is fantastic. So fast it is ridiculous. Acceleration is in the paid version. 

Currently I run a 4k 27" as main monitor off that video card and I have a 1080 screen running off the onboard video. Spyder5 colour dongle thing. 

I have the waveforms up on the 1080 screen. It does not span screens like Premiere, there is a little extra video card one can get from BlackMagic to enable an extra monitor screen for monitoring the programme full screen. 

Resolve is super stable, unlike Premiere. It includes default functions that seem identical to expensive plugins: Neat Video noise reduction, Mercalli stabilisation, Flicker Free. My recent try at running Premiere on brand new machines resulted in them crashing every 5 minutes or less. It is horrible. 

edit: go single gpu and as high memory as you can go on it. 8 or 11 seems the thing now. There is a small gain if doing 8k footage on dual GPU otherwise it actually slows things down just a little from single. 

Thanks ?. So to run resolve full screen you get that ?direkt link? PCI Card? Doing resolve on a 4K screen with hd video you still can see it in full rez no? I am one of those still on  CS6 not going nowhere near subscription, hopefully i can install that on win10 and runs as smoothly as on my old dog.

So you’d go:

- 6core cpu

- gpu as big as possible maxed by budget it will be 8gb

one 4K screen first

cheers

19 hours ago, hansel said:

Thanks ?. So to run resolve full screen you get that ?direkt link? PCI Card? Doing resolve on a 4K screen with hd video you still can see it in full rez no? I am one of those still on  CS6 not going nowhere near subscription, hopefully i can install that on win10 and runs as smoothly as on my old dog.

So you’d go:

- 6core cpu

- gpu as big as possible maxed by budget it will be 8gb

one 4K screen first

cheers

I don't have a DeckLink card for the Grading Monitor yet, but will certainly get one soon. Screenshot attached of 4k + 1080 monitors for User Interface. All UI screens should run off the one graphics card. 

For GPU I meant memory as big as possible on it, not the card. Although having said that the 1070Ti and 1080 seem to only be $80 difference here in NZ atm so 1080 I guess. Bound to be new cards just about to come out. 

Screenshot 2018-08-18 19.07.01_Resolve.jpg