Rotoscoping 911 – HELP!!

kaylee

Guys,

I'm trying to roto two four second clips for my short and it's been so hard~!

What the heck is going on?! Am I doing stuff all wrong??

Tell me what you think:

All instances where I need to roto are removing people from a background. The camera is not moving at all.

One clip does have a fairly problematic background, as far as hues that blend with the actor's face. I get that. But even with the other clip I feel like I'm having way too much trouble. 

I've been trying to get this done in AE with the Roto brush + roto refine edge tool, and I also tried in Mocha AE.

With the roto brush, the selections arent accurate, and it takes a ton of refining with the option key, and THEN it doesnt track well at all. I was doing SOoo much work frame by frame that I was like Heck, I'll try Mocha.

So in mocha, I did the whole thing twice – first time I added way too many points and I was like Oh thats why its not tracking well. So I did it again, and... SAME result... the "tracking" aspect of the software is working, just really poorly~! (???)

Roto is something I dont have experience with,  but Im not a dummy and I can follow a tutorial??

What's going on here?

Are my expectations just out of wack?

How do you guys do roto?

I'm so frustrated because if I'd just literally gone frame by frame with my wacom in photoshop this would be done by now!!!

Any suggestions/insight would be much appreciated

Sadly,

K

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Forget roto brush IMO.

Mocha should be up to the task no problem. If mask tracking not sticking to subject well - or drifting away from subject over time, it sounds like you need to add an occlusion layer to tell the tracker exactly what not to try to track so it doesn't get confused. With a clean track it should just be a case of adding a few key frames to the masks to get a good result. Plenty of good tutorials on YouTube.

Very hard to guess without seeing the shot in question though. 

aww thank you so much guys!!

@KnightsFan I'm trying to separate the main character from a static shot where the camera doesnt move... The photoshop idea is a good one – i did that with another shot, worked great~!

@Hans Punk ahh, an occlusion layer~! let me look that up lol, thank you!!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️