Getting Tired as F**k waiting for A7III - Would I miss any video features if I buy an RIII instead?

EthanAlexander

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I would say AF is the same or very similar indeed between the two.

A difference to consider far more than AF is price and resolution.

How much extra would you pay for the R? Do you need 42MP? Are you ok with occasional moire in full frame 4K?

If you ask me it's a bad time to buy either.

There is the A7S III due next month.

@EthanAlexander Where are you located? They aren't hard to find in the US. There are a few a7III's on Fred Miranda (3 are selling for less than retail) and they turn up at retailers not named Amazon or B&H almost daily. Focus Camera, Competitive Camera and Texas Media Systems all had them in stock last week with no backorders.

Good luck.

Chris

@Trek of Joy I'm ordering through Amazon since I'm using the store card so unfortunately I'm just waiting. I ordered back in June ?

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

There is the A7S III due next month.

I need at least the 24MP since I'm planning to actually use this as a hybrid (still have my FS5 for the bulk of my work). Any indication whether the SIII will have a resolution bump from 12MP?

3 hours ago, Nikkor said:

Get the new Nikon Z6

This doesn't answer my question in any way and adds nothing to the discussion. I don't want this to end up being a debate about competing camera systems.

17 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

@Trek of Joy I'm ordering through Amazon since I'm using the store card so unfortunately I'm just waiting. I ordered back in June ?

I need at least the 24MP since I'm planning to actually use this as a hybrid (still have my FS5 for the bulk of my work). Any indication whether the SIII will have a resolution bump from 12MP?

This doesn't answer my question in any way and adds nothing to the discussion. I don't want this to end up being a debate about competing camera systems.

Yikes! I bought one a couple weeks ago from Focus, just a spur of the moment decision. Its all speculation about the a7s3 - Z battery, dual cards (the obvious mk3 improvements) and so on, there's literally no actual info in terms of sensor, frame rates and so on. Its even a mystery as to when it'll be announced. The rumor sites have nothing. Sony has done a good job keeping a lid on it so far.

I'd wait if you want to shoot FF 4k, the a7r3 is better compared to the a7r2, but the a73 is a step above since its 6k to 4k. AF is better on the a73 compared to the r3 IMO - it sticks to your subject across the entire frame. Its also better in low light, less hunting and more accurate - those fatter pixels certainly help. Since you're shooting s35 with the FS5, that's the best video mode on the a7r3 and 42mp stills are a nice bump in resolution over 24mp.

I feel your pain, if you need it now, the a7r3 is still a great option.

Chris

2 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

@Trek of Joy I'm ordering through Amazon since I'm using the store card so unfortunately I'm just waiting. I ordered back in June 

Sort of the best guess rumors I have heard.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/features/sony-a7s-iii-leaks-release-date-news-rumors

Talk of a Organic sensor on some camera also. Who knows, it could be in the A7s mk III? Although Foveon and high ISO's don't Seem to go together LoL. ?

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/glimpse-future-sony-working-organic-sensor-foveon-alike-tech/

When I was looking for a back up for my A7riii, I tried an A7iii but ended up getting another A7riii (lightly used).

I have definitely seen examples where the A7iii has better detail in FF 4K. Some say the af is better on the A7iii but if it is it is very marginal. Same can be said for low light.

A7riii does offer some advantages...

Better EVF

Better and brighter Lcd

No crop in 4K 30

Having said that, the premium is difficult to justify unless you want higher mp stills.

7 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

Haven't found a clear and concise answer from a source I trust - Is the RIII lacking any features that are essential or very helpful for video?

From what I can tell the FF is better detailed on the III and it has better autofocus - are either of these reasons to hold out?

Anything else to consider?

Had and sold. The rolling shutter, 100/120fps and low light are probably the main 'advantages', but are mostly pretty slight. The A7R III IMO is a much nicer stills camera. If you can justify the difference, that's what I would get. Or wait. 

A73 has all the hype because of what you get for the money, where as the R3 is some 60% more expensive.