Looking at purchasing Pro Colour V4

joshhr

Hi Guys,

Loving the look of the camera settings, i shoot mostly real estate and i sometimes come across really dark and poorly lit rooms with gross orange/yellow lighting, would using either of the pro colour profiles help me? From what i can gather it will give me great colours straight out of the camera which would be awesome so i don't have to spend a lot of time grading, if any at all.

Also, will the Pro LOG settings work for an A7iii? or are they for older A series cameras.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, joshhr said:

Hi Guys,

Loving the look of the camera settings, i shoot mostly real estate and i sometimes come across really dark and poorly lit rooms with gross orange/yellow lighting, would using either of the pro colour profiles help me? From what i can gather it will give me great colours straight out of the camera which would be awesome so i don't have to spend a lot of time grading, if any at all.

Also, will the Pro LOG settings work for an A7iii? or are they for older A series cameras.

Thanks!

Pro Color doesn't really improve bad lighting, it just gives a relatively (subjectively) pleasing look out of the camera.  Imho, it works reasonably well in low light with tungsten or high CRI LED lighting, but it is definitely recommended that you use manual white balance.  There is a certain point where you just need more or higher quality lighting.  Also, if you're talking about sodium lighting, well, there's very little that can be done about that other than embrace the look or bring your own light.

Afaik, there is a version of Pro Log in the works for A7III and A7RIII, but the current one was developed for older A series cameras.

• Administrators

Pro LOG is being updated for the A7 III. It will come out soon!

With poorly lit rooms, energy saving lighting is bad for the yellow-green cast. Orange / warm tone is dealt better with Pro Color. You'll see best results in houses that use incandescent and halogen lighting, and an improvement with the standard LEDS... but no matter what camera or colour profile you use, lighting is SUCH a big factor, bigger than the camera can overcome by itself. Why not get some lights in addition to Pro Color?

3 hours ago, Drew Allegre said:

Pro Color doesn't really improve bad lighting, it just gives a relatively (subjectively) pleasing look out of the camera.  Imho, it works reasonably well in low light with tungsten or high CRI LED lighting, but it is definitely recommended that you use manual white balance.  There is a certain point where you just need more or higher quality lighting.  Also, if you're talking about sodium lighting, well, there's very little that can be done about that other than embrace the look or bring your own light.

Afaik, there is a version of Pro Log in the works for A7III and A7RIII, but the current one was developed for older A series cameras.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah okay, i do use manual white balance, it seems like using these settings will give me great results straight out of the camera which is what i want, less time grading would be awesome! 

Perfect, i cant wait for LOG.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Pro LOG is being updated for the A7 III. It will come out soon!

With poorly lit rooms, energy saving lighting is bad for the yellow-green cast. Orange / warm tone is dealt better with Pro Color. You'll see best results in houses that use incandescent and halogen lighting, and an improvement with the standard LEDS... but no matter what camera or colour profile you use, lighting is SUCH a big factor, bigger than the camera can overcome by itself. Why not get some lights in addition to Pro Color?

Thanks! Is there a particular profile that's better for certain situations? Because i understand theres a HDR version as well? 

I've been thinking about lights, i was going to pick up a couple of smaller ones to try and keep my gear to a minimum seeing as i change location so often.

1 minute ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Hi there, Josh:

I shoot real estate stills for a living (as well as real estate video)

What you really need is correct white balance and using flash when you can't overcome the nasty color cast with white balance adjustment alone.

Assuming you are using a tripod, if the lighting is real bad you can turn off the lights. Just set the camera for daylight and have a long exposure. It is not like the room is going anywhere.

I've never really dealt with stills myself, although i'd love to learn it's just so hard to find the resources to begin to wrap my head around it. All i really know is you need 2 exposures. 

I use manual white balance but i will admit i'm just trying to match what im seeing in the camera LCD to what my eyes are seeing, not using a white balance card or anything. If i'm getting to kinds of mixed light i'll usually turn the lights off and use the sunlight. Regardless, i think these settings will only help me becuase i'll have a lot less grading to do and get nice colours.