Sony Dominates FF Sales in USA

jonpais

5 hours ago, Mokara said:

It will be faster than that. Even for stills MILCs have some pretty significant advantages over DSLRs. DMF comes to mind for example. Precise tracking is another. Or any sort of critical manual focusing if you want to use the viewfinder. The main argument for DSLRs has basically been that you get a more responsive viewfinder, which in some cases you need but mostly you don't. Refresh rates on the latest MILC viewfinders is very fast, so the only real advantage of the DSLR is not really there any more. When you reach the point where DSLRs have no advantages, why would anyone in their right mind buy one?

I think that 5 years from now, no new DSLRs will be coming to the market at all. Everything will be MILCs.

Totally agree.  :)

5 years is also long enough for most of the late-adopters to see that others have gone before them and been fine, and that when they make the switch there are people they know who can help with questions etc.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, kye said:

If you review my previous posts you will see that I am far from taking a 'spec only' perspective.  In fact, I often take a "photography is a business" perspective on here and get chewed out because I didn't say that everyone in the world should buy the latest shiny thing!

Trying to view all purchases through the lens of a business decision helps to keep mildly in check my wildly out of control G.A.S.

16 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

A lot of the change at least in the sports world will be related to controlling the image of the event as much as capturing the image of the event.

Organisations like UEFA,FIFA,IOC and the Premier League etc don't want the risks associated with that number of uncontrolled lenses pointed at their events as its the unique pictures of the controversies that will make far more money for an individual photographer than the generic goal celebration ones.

Of course, the controversies will be the cheating, diving, stamping, fighting, abuse of the officials, crowd disturbances etc that the organisers don't want damaging their brand.

For that reason, I think exerting editorial control by selling the rights to one agency will be the next step and there are already some half way house situations happening where this is to all intents and purposes in place by managing the most favourable pitch positions and access to specific agencies.

The connection that used to exist between the written press and photographic press working for the same publication has by and large fallen by the wayside as newspapers increasingly lay off their own photographic departments and use agencies so its not like the events need to fear a boycott if they only let in one agency's photographers.

Interesting, I'd never thought of this consequence of press photographers being laid off (replaced by agencies) until you brought it up.

16 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've already been advancing at least part of the demise of the old guard by winding down the number of shifts I've taken over the past few months and I suspect I'll be all but out completely by the end of next year.

Because you're moving into different areas, or because  you're going into semi-retirement?

14 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Yes, I dont see why mirrorless manufacturers like 'Sony' have such a focus on 'pro' needs. Afterall the 'needs' of 'pros' are very different from what you would imagine are their target market.

Pro photographers are relatively impoverished (with a median income well below the US national median income) and arent even a particularly large demographic.

You would think the natural mirrorless target market would be women, the young, and affluent travel enthusiasts.

Pros are targeted because:
1) test bed for high end features which later on trickle down to consumers
2) margins are higher on pro gear than on consumer gear
3)because they're trophies for brands, which is good marketing to consumers, "use the camera they use at the Olympics"

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The former. 

Interesting! Completely different field?

After almost 20 years of work, I am moving to other fields as well, producing high quality olive oil for starters; have some ideas about eco-tourism as well.

In this very limited market having a "career" is wishful thinking, and the working conditions are getting worst every year.

The last couple of years I am doing some photo jobs while I was 100% against for the bigger part of my career. NX1 being a complete hybrid was a decisive factor as well.

• Super Members
53 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Interesting! Completely different field?

After almost 20 years of work, I am moving to other fields as well, producing high quality olive oil for starters; have some ideas about eco-tourism as well.

In this very limited market having a "career" is wishful thinking, and the working conditions are getting worst every year.

The last couple of years I am doing some photo jobs while I was 100% against for the bigger part of my career. NX1 being a complete hybrid was a decisive factor as well.

A bit of both.

Moving towards more motion stuff like live broadcast of things around events like press conferences and build up around the stadiums pre match.

Also some sports film shorts.

A lot of time is going to be taken up with product development as well as soon as the Blackmagic camera is released and I've just finished a Leica version which will need some manufacturing setup etc 

Also some tedious corporate structure stuff as Brexit will make it too painful to be doing stuff from outside the EU.

It's utterly weird that you mention Olive oil production as last night we were on a long car journey and were discussing how the hell the economics stack up regarding number of trees and stuff !!

The thing is that is two separate things.

A) Go on about specs- yep, but maybe that is because most of them are FORMER users of other systems (or still current multiple system users).

B) Bash- no, don't think so.      There are of course some in every room but I see far more people who use other brands and many who have never even tried Sony bashing Sony and often for other reasons (EG something completely unrelated to photography/videography).

I also sometimes suspect it is a lot smaller group (for all brand trolls) and they just have many accounts (some on DPR have had literally hundreds) and that in some cases the worst offenders may actually be working/paid shills for their oppositions though that might be a bit too conspiracy theory.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Here is another statistic they dominate after +3900 votes.
And thats on my channel where Sony is getting constant praise.

Poll_Results.thumb.jpeg.c0060a1c675d33b54778d2b1838ae671.jpeg

Confirmation bias. ??? 

Getting constant praise on your channel? ??

In fact, you’ve said numerous times in numerous places that Sony sucks balls, including in your videos.

So it is only natural that your small base of devoted followers would feel the same way.

The poll is meaningless, unless it is to confirm your own bias against Sony.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, jonpais said:

..numerous places that Sony sucks balls, including in your videos.

Please give a link and time code to a video where I say that?
If you answer with anything besides a link and a time code you are admitting to being a fanboy.
You won't get any response from me unless you provide a link to a youtube video that Ive maid and a time code to where I say "that Sony sucks balls".
Fail to do so and you are admitting to being a fanboy and a troll. Its your choice.
Im out until you can back up your claim.

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Please give a link and time code to a video where I say that?
If you answer with anything besides a link and a time code you are admitting to being a fanboy.
You won't get any response from me unless you provide a link to a youtube video that Ive maid and a time code to where I say "that Sony sucks balls".
Fail to do so and you are admitting to being a fanboy and a troll. Its your choice.
Im out until you can back up your claim.

I’m not playing your little games, MB.

No intelligent reader thinks I’m a Sony fanboy. Try your childish school boy antics on the playground!

In the comments to one video of yours, you have this to say:

The Sony handles highlights very very well. Great build. Nice AF. 
But the EVF sucks, colors sucks, rolling shutter sucks and its the most expensive.

You seem to like the word ‘suck’ a whole lot, because you never tire of repeating how Sony does.

Your little poll isn’t worth a hill of beans! ?

In effect, you are asking your adoring fans which camera owners are the most obnoxious!

By wording it in that way, you encourage categorizing and labeling photographers according to the brand they shoot with.

I can see how oversimplifications like that would have a certain appeal to those for whom the world is a complex, frightening place - I see it happening right now in my own country: manipulating facts in order to control people.

• Super Members
4 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’m not playing your little games, MB.

So once again you where just a liar and a fanboy. At least this time you admit it. I guess thats a step in the right direction.

Btw, Sony is in my top favorite camera video... so another lie from you debunked.

The interesting part is that you can't see that the poll is pointing at people like you. Your last post pretty much prove it. You quote a comment from me, a Sony shooter who constantly praise and recommend them, where I give it a bit of critique and gets totally triggered. Defensive. Fanatic.

Im done with you now. Just wanted to show others that you often lie about people and that I've never made a video where I say "that Sony sucks balls".

Im starting to think someone is putting to much detergent in the cocaine you are smoking.

I wont plat your game, out.

Could someone point me out to how far Canon is behind Sony in terms of investment in Image sensors? I have heard the rumour about the $9b investment Sony is doing, what about Canon? I cannot find anything on their website or anywhere else in terms of how they are investing in their sensors... are they upgrading their factories at all? Has anyone heard anything?

I know about the 120MP sensors, 200mmx200mm sensor, ultra low light sensor but it all seems like extracting the last potential from their current technology... what after that?

56 minutes ago, tomekk said:

Could someone point me out to how far Canon is behind Sony in terms of investment in Image sensors? I have heard the rumour about the $9b investment Sony is doing, what about Canon? I cannot find anything on their website or anywhere else in terms of how they are investing in their sensors... are they upgrading their factories at all? Has anyone heard anything?

I know about the 120MP sensors, 200mmx200mm sensor, ultra low light sensor but it all seems like extracting the last potential from their current technology... what after that?

I am not too sure if Canon is even IN the camera business anymore for what little is leaked out anymore. I don't even see a lot of talk about Patents anymore from them?

Letting Nikon steal all this thunder early is not my idea of a good thing for Canon. I would at least pull a Blackmagic thing and announce something 9 months ahead. If the 5d mk IV, 6D mk II and the M50 is the best they can do, well...

La di dah.gif

On 8/19/2018 at 5:15 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Here is another statistic they dominate after +3900 votes.
And thats on my channel where Sony is getting constant praise.

Even Sony fans think that! ha

Interesting too that Panasonic rates by far the lowest, but from my experience I reckon that does make sense.

Wish a few more brands were included such as Olympus, Leica and Pentax.

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I am not too sure if Canon is even IN the camera business anymore for what little is leaked out anymore. I don't even see a lot of talk about Patents anymore from them?

Letting Nikon steal all this thunder early is not my idea of a good thing for Canon. I would at least pull a Blackmagic thing and announce something 9 months ahead. If the 5d mk IV, 6D mk II and the M50 is the best they can do, well...

I read something somewhere saying that being memorable is about setting an expectation and then violating it.  I guess it's the essence of those "I did something - YOU WONT GUESS WHAT HAPPENED" clickbait titles.

If Canon is going to release a corker then the best prelude would be the luke-warm expectations that everyone has.  If we all get excited about the Nikon mirrorless it will be hard for them to shock us, but a C150 in DSLR size with 6K downsampling would break the internet :)